Vat added to the postage charge

thebigdaddy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I ordered things from a marine store in England (I am in Scotland) and going by the receipt, I have paid vat on the postage, is this correct

The store lists the item, then postage, then vat and the total, if I add it up the item + postage, the vat adds up to the two prices, if I add up the item and vat then postage I get a different total.

I am waiting for the delivery first, before I dispute this, as I need the item I bought, I know its only £1.66, but I feel as though I have been conned. I will post a copy of the receipt once the delivery arrives.

cheers

James

HMRC says:

Postal services provided by the Post Office are exempt from VAT, but this exemption does not extend to similar services provided by other suppliers, even where this might be seen as being in direct competition with the Post Office. However, if any delivery charge you make to your own customers includes the cost of stamps you buy from the Post Office you may have to charge VAT on the whole amount including the cost of those stamps.