Have I reset the statute barred clock from the start?

SStevens
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

"limitation act is that the burden of proof firmly lies with the creditor, if they cannot prove that a payment/acknowledgement has been made within the last six years they would be scuppered"

Hi - I'm new and wonder if someone can help re statute barred?

I'm coming up to the 6 year non-payment (non deferment of student loans) I forgot to defer initially due to seriously bad times I was going through - debt was at the bottom of a very dark pile of worries and depression - and things snowballed out of control from this point - (if I had have applied to defer I would have been elgible).

The student loans were Pre 98, old mortgage style so can be statute barred.

However, about 2/3 years ago they managed to track me down at work and telephoned my office. I was obviously caught off-guard and told them never to ring me at my place of work again (is this legal for them to do so?).

I also panicked and fudged a diversion conversation with the student loans woman (mainly due to the fact I was so embarrassed as co-wrkers were earwigging in to conversation) by asking her whether the loans company had received my deferment to cover that year, she would not answer me (we both know she didn't). So I told her I would not answer anything she asks until she tells me if they have received my deferment. As she was unwilling to be above board with me, the conversation concluded with her threatening me by saying "we'll catch you eventually" and she slammed the phone down.

Just wanted to know if this is proof I own the debt/acknowledged the debt and will this start the clock again or do they need acknowledgment of the debt in writing?

Thanks in advance

S

Have you heard anything else since the phone call?

Have you checked your credit files to see if there is anything on them re this debt?

As Huggy says, you would need to acknowledge in writing or by making a payment to restart the clock.

If you get any letters re this account, I would just send them the stat barred letter and see where it goes from there.

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

• 1 month later...