Council Tax Banding

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6606 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find out how much my one bedroom, ground floor council flat was (really) worth in 1991, as opposed to the estimate given by Enfield Council on this years council tax bill. (My current banding is Band C that states my flat was worth £52,001 - £68,000 on the 'open market' as of April 1st 1991). I think that estimate is too high.

My bill (for £858.10 (including the 25% discount for single occupancy) says I can appeal to the Listing Officer if I think the council tax band for my property is too high. If my appeal is successful, they will give me a refund if I have paid too much council tax.

PJ..x

The only problem is that you might have to pay for this retrospective evaluation.

You might try approaching 2 or 3 estate agents and asking them if they would give you a verbal opion. If all three are roughly the same, you might then fell that it owuld be worthwhile paying them each to get it in writing.

You would certainly need at least 3 opinions.

If you then managed to make a successful challenge, the cost of the opinions would be paid by the council

It's my understanding that the rules allow you to apply for a reduction to a lower band.

I did this several years ago, the council told me how/where to apply and I didn't have to find out the value myself, it was checked for me. Note though that the rules only permit you to drop one band, even if you are two or three bands above what you should be paying.

Any further reduction of bands can only be made at a later date once the property has been sold (e.g. by the new owners), that's how it was explained to me anyway if I remember correctly.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6606 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks