• Tweets

• Thank you to you all, you guys are amazing!! Yes of course i will be making a donation, i am very grateful to you all. Keep up the good work
    • I'm not quite out of the woods yet. The email they sent me also said that I have £290 of arrears and it has been passed onto their collections department. If anything my account should be £10 in credit.  They haven't taken into account the trainers that were returned back in October. The other items have been credited to my account so it looks like I've still got work to do.  They are not very quick to reply to emails, although I've only sent one trying to find more information, and I have no idea what happens next. Half of me want's to get it sorted properly the other half just wants it over with, if that means a default then so be it. 
    • No. It's a public (council maintained) road with some houses in it.   Some other houses back onto it too and those owners have right of way down the road to access the back of their properties.  Theres a few garages with private osp - so one drives out the garage, over the osp, and onto the public side road and then out on to the public main road.  Irrespective of whether the garages are used - the local businesses parking their cars on the private osp are ostensibly preventing cars from accessing the public roads.
    • is the side street solely for access to your garages? who owns the land and thus the road? dx  
    • A local business has been parking on an off-street parking space in front of my garages (in a side street).  I wasn't using them for a while so didnt bother to do anything.  But now a second local business is also using the osp - taking it in turns with the 1st biz.  This has started to nark me.    The employees choose to drive to work.  There is no private parking in their business's street.  But there are some underground secure garages in their street - which cost apx £2.4k/y to rent - which works out apx £6.60/d. (I believe one of the biz owners already rent one for storage purposes).  If the employee had to park on a meter it would cost them £6.60/h - £66 for 10h and have to move every 4h.  They just don't want to pay for parking. I haven't confronted either of them.  Instead I just put 2 clear "no parking" signs in front of the garages. And a note on one of the cars specifically saying that as they don't live or rent in the street and it's private land could they stop parking.   They ignored that.  And just put notes on their dash with a # to call if one needs the car moved.  There is a sign and they've been told in writing to stop parking. And they are just ignoring it.    I don't what a confrontation.    I don't want to go to the expense of bollards (other than maybe traffic plastic ones - but they'll probs just move them).  Council won't do zilch cos it's private land. And police won't get involved - unless I clamp/ tow the cars and then they'd be after me, not the drivers!    What's the best thing to do?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Further to Thailands' post, I added to my letter to them that I had supplied the other party with a copy.

Make sure that on the top of the banks' schedule and letter you put the Court Claim number as given to you by MCOL and because they are the good guys, be polite and "would you be so kind as to include it with my file please". On the banks' letter and schedule, place the reference they use in letter to you. That's all they need.

[Mod: 6 threads merged]

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

Received the Notice of Issue from Northampton Court today.

It says, claim was issued on 16th October and deemed to be served on 21st October.

Barclays has until 4th November to reply.

Anyone suggest what the likely next steps will be.

Thanks

Received the Notice of Issue from Northampton Court today.

It says, claim was issued on 16th October and deemed to be served on 21st October.

Barclays has until 4th November to reply.

Anyone suggest what the likely next steps will be.

Thanks

Barclays will issue a defence very late on the third. Then maybe it will be reassigned to your local court for a court date to be issued. This might take another month or so. Then a court date is issued no earlier than 3 weeks after the date of issue.

Thats my experience so far. I was issued a court date today (16/10/06) for the 15/11/06.

Good luck

NEW Barclays Bank claim - £80 requested. LBA not acknowledged yet. 14 days have passed. Moneyclaim about to be dispatched for second time.

Barclays Bank - £2155 requested. LBA acknowledged and awaiting response. Offer of £875 made and refused. Moneyclaim issued 20th June 2006. Court date issued for 15th November 2006. £2325 including costs.....and growing at 39p a day

Amex - £15 refunded.

Halifax Credit Card - £25 refunded.

Co-Op Credit Card - £25 returned. Credit file amended.

• 3 weeks later...

The day you file is day Zero. Legally, the claim is deemed to have been filed five days after that - regardless of whether they were actually served two days after you filed. It's then that the 14 days to acknowledge starts. As soon as they do that then the last period of 14 days is added to the total so it's a total of 33 days.

Hope this helps you.

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

Hi, im new to this, so forgive me is i get this all wrong but i think im doing things right.

Sent of my SAR on 25th October recorded delivery. royal mail say received on 27th.

Spoke to barclaycard 1st november says registered on their system on 30th october.

today 2nd November received reply, have kept my £10 and given me details of my account back to may 2004 then said the rest is on microfiche and is not readily accesible and so i wil have to pay £3 per statement. i am about to send them the "abbey" letter is this thr right thing to do???

Also when do the 40 days start from? 25th when i sent, 27th when royal mail say signed for, 30th when they say on their system or 31st when reply is dated???

Please help. Thankyou x

• 1 month later...

Doing the normal thing with Barclays.

Got to MCOL stage.

Confused as to what date I will probably get a letter when I expect to have to go to the next stage.

SAR sent 31st July

Request for repayment of charges sent 13th September

Letter before action sent 28th September

MCOL started 16th October

MCOL notice of issue deemed served 21st October

Notice of Acknowledgment of service filed 31st October

It says they have 28 days from the date of service, when is this date ??

Thanks

That answers my question as well. I received documents from mcol stating that Barclays are deemed to have been served on 15th November. On 29th November, acknowledgement received from Barclays. If it gives them 28 days, I think this is inclusive of the 14days mcol deemed to have been issued. So by mid December I should know whether Barclays have filed defence or not.

Good luck to me and everyone

Two threads merged,

Have Barclays defended? (28 days includes weekends)

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

Two threads merged,

Have Barclays defended? (28 days includes weekends)

No, they just acknowledged.I understand acknowledgement means Barclays are requesting for more time to defend.So hope they would defend.

Given that I it looks like the 28 days are up, should I contact MCOL incase there has been missing letters in the post ?

In the MCOL website there is a section on your claim which says 'Judgement' .Below judgement is 'start'.I think if you press 'start' the next task is to enter judgement by default if Barclays has not responded and you have checked that you counted the days well. Perhaps contacting MCOL before you enter judgement would be helpful.Thats my opinion.I wait to be corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

update

Barclays didn't enter a defence, so have now gone to the next stage on MCOL.

They have issued a Judgement on them on 14th December.

They have a calender month to reply.

I was was told that I could if I wanted, I could send in the Bailiffs to either repossess possessions to the value if they havn't the money (ha! ha!). How tempting is that. This will cost another £55 (recoverable), but have decided to see what turns up in the post over the next few weeks.

Surely if I've entered a Judgement againt Barclays, that means they have a CCJ against them for 6 years, so how can they be a trusted Financial Institution. If it was you or me, they would have trouble getting credit.

update

Barclays didn't enter a defence, so have now gone to the next stage on MCOL.

They have issued a Judgement on them on 14th December.

They have a calender month to reply.

I was was told that I could if I wanted, I could send in the Bailiffs to either repossess possessions to the value if they havn't the money (ha! ha!). How tempting is that. This will cost another £55 (recoverable), but have decided to see what turns up in the post over the next few weeks.

Surely if I've entered a Judgement againt Barclays, that means they have a CCJ against them for 6 years, so how can they be a trusted Financial Institution. If it was you or me, they would have trouble getting credit.

You are lucky Barclays have not entered a defence.They entered a defence on the last day in my case.So I wait for letter from mcol who said they would advise me on which court the case would be transferred to for hearing.So I have started preparing my court bundles.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a confusing letter from MCOL saying that Barclays had not responded within the required timescales and have also enclosed an Application Notice N244. Also enclosed were copied fax documents from Barclays to MCOL contesting the Default Judgement and that they had infact replied in time.

I called MCOL for them to to explain, and they have said that there is confusion as to if Barclays had infact replied in time and that it has now been passed to a Manager to look into it.

I'll now give it a week to here from MCOL or I'll call them back.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Spoke to MCOL today.

The case has now been transferred to a District Judge as the case has to be decided if Barclays did in fact reply to MCOL on time.

It's out of my hands now and have to wait for a District Judge to decide.

Had anyone else had to go through this.

It seems I am not at fault, it's between Barclays and MCOL.