Tripped and fell at work....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there. I think a chat with the HSE is a good thing. Their helpline was good with another cagger, I may have mentioned. They can also make unannounced visits depending on how bad the problem is.

I hope you feel better soon and I hope going back to work goes well.

My best, HB

Thanks HB :-)

I did give HSE a ring today actually but the lady on the other end just talked about RIDDOR and being off for more than 3 days. When I go back, I'll check to make sure that HR have logged the accident and if I need to ring HSE again, I will.

:-)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean you'll have been off for 3 days following the incident, P1, even if it wasn't immediately after it happened?

HB

I have been off for 2 days so far and am not in tomorrow. Under RIDDOR, they need an employer report if it's more than 3 consecutive days; whatever the injury as far as I can make out. I would llike to think that HR will report it under Erica but RIDDOR is something extra.

This is still a learning curve for me.... but I'm getting there. In theory, I could go back to work on Thursday but my knees are very stiff at the moment (not sore as such... but aching).... and the more I think about things, the crosser I get, which makes me reluctant to return until the stiffness eases off. :x

Unbelievable!!! :evil:

A friend and colleague told me today that the same metal obstructions are still sticking up out of the ground!!! :evil: Apparently, the gardeners were busy out there today and they'd taken the posts out (we assume) because they were lying on the ground in the bushes.... and the metal things were just sticking up out of the concrete, as before!!! :evil:

So from the look of things our H&S rep. hasn't involved herself in this at all!! My friend took photos for me and as I've now been off for 4 days and not going back 'til Monday.... I'm starting to be thankful for my gut instincts not to rush back!!

:evil:

P1, remind me if you've spoken to the HSE or the local council please? It may not be major enough for the HSE, but wouldn't it be great if you could get someone to do an unannounced inspection? I know the HSE can if they feel so inclined.

The photos should be really useful.

I hope you're feeling a bit better.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

P1, remind me if you've spoken to the HSE or the local council please? It may not be major enough for the HSE, but wouldn't it be great if you could get someone to do an unannounced inspection? I know the HSE can if they feel so inclined.

The photos should be really useful.

I hope you're feeling a bit better.

My best, HB

I made some random enquiries to HSE the other day but didn't go into any details about anything. I haven't contacted the council though because the accident was on the way in to work.... my thoughts were to leave doing anything until I went back and see what HR said to me.... assuming that I'd be called in for a back-to-work chat.

If no-one calls me in to find out what happened and how I am, I'll call HSE again, report what happened myself and send them the pics. if they ask for them. Looks like I'll need to call HSE anyway to make sure the accident has even been logged!!

:evil:

Damn............ why didn't we think about photos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr Grrrrrrrrrrrr. P1 if you ahve good bruising or any othe rvisible injury photograph that too if you haven't already.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Damn............ why didn't we think about photos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr Grrrrrrrrrrrr. P1 if you ahve good bruising or any othe rvisible injury photograph that too if you haven't already.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I didn't photograph my knees.... but felt that the visit to my GP, his report on my records and the fact that he prescribed pain killlers would cover this.

To be honest, the pain and stiffness has been my major issue this week. The bruising was minimal in comparison, although I did somehow manage to get a graze on both knees despite wearing trousers.... which had no hole in them?! Strange...

• 2 weeks later...

DWP declaration form now completed. I'll copy it at work and post it off tomorrow.

I'm not sure if there's a connection or not but my back went on Friday night :!:.... and the pain was as close to childbirth as I can describe!!! How I didn't scream the house down I do not know but I was trying not to scare my daughter. I can move around now but am on painkillers daily. I haven't asked about my x-ray results yet because my daughter went to uni. yesterday, so I've been putting things off until after.

I don't think I could have driven yesterday.... she drove us up there and I sat on a pillow with a hot water bottle for the journey; shuffling around all the way to try and be reasonably comfortable. My friend drove me back in her car later that day.... What a nightmare!!

Since I returned to work last week, no-one has spoken to me about the accident and asked how I am (apart from friends at work). I simply put a self-certificatation sicky form into HRs pigeon hole and heard nothing more (took a copy though).

• 4 weeks later...

**Update**

I've now had a reply from DWP; Industrial Injuries to say that they've made a decision and my accident is an industrial accident. I'm assuming they must have contacted work to verify things but no-one's said a word if they have.

I also saw my GP again on Friday for the results of my x-ray and he said I have got wear and tear in my spine which wouldn't have been helped by the fall.... which could explain the chronic back pain I had even though it was a couple of weeks after the event. He gave me stronger pain killers but is still reluctant to refer me for an MRI. I'm assuming this is because they're expensive.... so I'll give it a while longer and insist upon one if this keeps up.

Just to check...

Is there anything else I need to do now?

DWP have confirmed that the accident was/is an industrial injury.... but I'm not claiming any Benefit because I'm working. My GP has prescribed stronger pain killers but is still reluctant to refer me for an MRI; presumably to save money. He has told me that from the x-rays, my back shows signs of spondylitis.... but because I'm able to move around quite freely at work, I'm not experiencing any difficulties apart from having to sit in a fixed position during long and boring meetings from time to time.

Any further advice would be appreciated... :-)

Hi have just read your thread with interest but cannot give any advice and hope you do not mind me posting on it for some advice concerning an accident to a good friend of mine.

Early this month my friend has an accident at work and after the accident continued working in great pain. The accident was report to a first aider and she took details of it down and said that it would be entered into the accident book later.

My frined has been off work now for 2 weeks and one day and is still not able to go back as yet.

A phone call was made to a first adier at the workplace where the accdient took place to ask if the accident was recorded and was told that it would be checked get back with a reply, that was 2 weeks ago and nothing has been heard back about recording the accident.

Can my friend check anywhere to see of the accident was recorded by employer.

Also can my freind report it herself and if so where can this be done.

Hello DJ2010. I don't think PriorityOne's thread is the place to post your query. I think you should have a separate thread for your friend. If you click the black triangle at the bottom of your post, the site team will start a thread for you. That way, you and PriorityOne can each have specific advice on your problems.

Sorry, P1 I don't have any thoughts for you at the moment.

My best to you both, HB

DJ2010, I'm not a moderator, just a humble fellow cagger. Don't delete your post, move it. All you need to do is start your own thread or ask the site team to start one for you. You have nothing to lose and then PriorityOne and you both get advice tailored to your own problems.

My best, HB x

Hi DJ2010 - Do you want me to move your post to a thread of it's own?

You seem to have a valid question, and it deserves an answer. We aren't at all strict here - more that people are far more inclined to read and respond to a new post if it sits as a 'new' thread rather than if it is tacked onto the end of another long standing one - people may have already looked at P1's issue and decide that they have nothing more to add so will not open it and that risks missing your own issue....

FWIW - your friend does indeed have good cause to start getting stroppy with the employer. Any injury requiring more than 3 days off work should be reported by the employer to the overseeing authority (either HSE or Local Authority EH) under RIDDOR. Your friend does not need to keep checking with the employer that the incident was recorded - that is not her problem as long as the absence has been correctly recorded, she has kept details of what happened, where and when, and details of any witnesses (particularly what was said by the First Aider). It may be that your friend wants to make an enquiry to the H&S authority responsible for the workplace and ask if the matter was reported to them - that might well serve as a kick up the backside to the employer if they get a visit to inspect conditions and paperwork, but it depends on where your friend intends to take this matter and how far!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 3 months later...

Really annoyed...:-x

The exact same H&S hazzard has been in the exact same place now since Thursday of last week!! I have taken fresh photos and emailed someone about it, with a copy to my home email address. Am in 2 minds whether to tip off HSE.... will see what happens tomorrow....