Account Security

Spiceskull
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6603 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

With so many people recieving their statements in an appalling condition - open for the world to see - does anyone have any ideas as to how banks will contest the (subsequent) charges of maintaining account security?

After all, they continually harp on to customers about security, and how surplus paperwork should be shredded...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I complained to Lloyds about this. Spoke to David Just. Got an apology but nothing else. Something else for me to take up with IC later.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

It might be worth getting a 'petition' together, with supporting photographs and call transcripts. This is, after all, a VERY serious issue in these times of identity theft. The repurcussions could be immeasurable, even to the point that every account affected may need renewing...

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Ouch - salt/wound/rub...

First time posting so bear with me!!

As statements have always been sent by post there has always been a 'threat' of poor security which will have increased over recent years. However whenever I hand over my card for payment then the account details are on the card and the worst case scenario is that those details could be copied. Worrying-- but surely there has to be an element of trust otherwise the whole banking system would fall apart

Viking I think it's more to do with how large amounts of statements are being sent. There are many people with Natwest who have got sheets (mine are about 2 1/2 iches thick) sent in flimsy envelopes (A4 size and usually used for sending upto about 10 sheets of paper). As the statements are half the size of A4 people are getting them with ripped envelopes and some being repackaged by Royal Mail as they are falling out snd to the point where some people's packages have some sheets missing and who knows where they are. That is not very responsible on the banks part I think.

Ex CAG helper ^_^

This is a security issue, but not with a bank, so apologise if not appropriate.

Recently I sold some shares (we got them when Friends Provident went public some years back) and had a letter from the company selling the shares, as expected detaling the value etc. What amazed me, and I did phone and complain but it was on a saturday and no one knew what do to, was that in the envelope were the details of another persons share dealings - worth a lot lot more than my mere £200.00!! This was a couple of months back now. I'm just concerned that my details could have been sent elsewhere too. Should I complain properly? At work now and can't recall the share company who Friends Provident had working for them.

Neil.

Guest Alison82
However whenever I hand over my card for payment then the account details are on the card and the worst case scenario is that those details could be copied.

I work in a shop part time, and I have seen countless craps of papers with customers details on from when they have paid for goods over the phone; no one had bothered to destroy them anyone can come along and pick them up! Before you ask when I do see then I destroy them

A group of educationally disadvantaged in Glasgow, known as the Student Loans Company, once sent my deferrment backup to someone else, who then forwarded it to me. So a total stranger got to see 3 months of pay slips which included just about everything needed to "become me" if they so desired (thankfully they were honest).

I complained to SLC, but was told it was "just human error" and was asked "do you know how much mail we deal with every day?". So I apologised for my stupidity and went on my way.

Slightly off topic, but the same point. When I was med student I was present at a birth that went very wrong. The parents sued the hospital and I was eventually contacted a few years later. they asked my if I'd provide a statement to them

I said I consider it, but I really didn't remember much about it, so could they forward me the medical records for me to look over. A few days later I received a tatty and ripped A4 envelope with what was clear medical records hanging out.

As for sending statements in a more secure form, the banks would cite 'commerical expence' and that the costs would 'passed onto the customer' eg put up bank charges lol!

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

I wouldn't be at all surprised if an official body steps in here - commanding banks to renew ALL applications affected in this way. After all, if "terrorists" found these statements, and adopted identities fraudulently, that would be an issue of national security...quick...someone call the Sun newspaper...!

I work in a shop part time, and I have seen countless craps of papers with customers details on from when they have paid for goods over the phone; no one had bothered to destroy them anyone can come along and pick them up! Before you ask when I do see then I destroy them

Every receipt slip I have had only shows the last 4 digits of my card, my name and expiry date....I thought that made it secure should I leave it behind or lose it?

Ex CAG helper ^_^

Guest Alison82
....I thought that made it secure should I leave it behind or lose it?

I don't see what you mean here?

Unfortunately full bank details are visible on the tills and on the stores copy of the receipt (e.g. the bit that you use to sign). I was talking about transactions done over the phone where you have to give over all the info to the sales assistant, just pointing out that not all sales assistant are very reasponsable here and often leave details laying about open to identity theft!

Stress to them that you details need to be destroyed afterwards (they should know this but often people just don't care unless it is their own)

Security my @rse.

Now we are told (or I was, years ago) that the majority of bank and credit card fraud was committed by family or friends.

Really? So does anybody use internet banking? "Security" questions typically asked to sign in to your account are your date of birth, your birth town, your dogs name etc. - just the sort of questions your family and friends would know the answers to!

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6603 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks