• Tweets

• He was one of four former top executives from Sam Bankman-Fried's firms to plead guilty to charges.View the full article
    • The private submersible industry was shaken after the implosion of the OceanGate Titan sub last year.View the full article
    • further polished WS using above suggestions and also included couple of more modifications highlighted in orange are those ok to include?   Background   1.1  The Defendant received the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) on the 06th of January 2020 following the vehicle being parked at Arla Old Dairy, South Ruislip on the 05th of December 2019.   Unfair PCN   2.1  On 19th December 2023 the Defendant sent the Claimant's solicitors a CPR request.  As shown in Exhibit 1 (pages 7-13) sent by the solicitors the signage displayed in their evidence clearly shows a £60.00 parking charge notice (which will be reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days of issue).  2.2  Yet the PCN sent by the Claimant is for a £100.00 parking charge notice (reduced to £60 if paid within 30 days of issue).   2.3        The Claimant relies on signage to create a contract.  It is unlawful for the Claimant to write that the charge is £60 on their signs and then send demands for £100.    2.4        The unlawful £100 charge is also the basis for the Claimant's Particulars of Claim.  No Locus Standi  3.1  I do not believe a contract with the landowner, that is provided following the defendant’s CPR request, gives MET Parking Services a right to bring claims in their own name. Definition of “Relevant contract” from the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4,  2 [1] means a contract Including a contract arising only when the vehicle was parked on the relevant land between the driver and a person who is-   (a) the owner or occupier of the land; or   (b) Authorised, under or by virtue of arrangements made by the owner or occupier of the land, to enter into a contract with the driver requiring the payment of parking charges in respect of the parking of the vehicle on the land. According to https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/section/44   For a contract to be valid, it requires a director from each company to sign and then two independent witnesses must confirm those signatures.   3.2  The Defendant requested to see such a contract in the CPR request.  The fact that no contract has been produced with the witness signatures present means the contract has not been validly executed. Therefore, there can be no contract established between MET Parking Services and the motorist. Even if “Parking in Electric Bay” could form a contract (which it cannot), it is immaterial. There is no valid contract.  Illegal Conduct – No Contract Formed   4.1 At the time of writing, the Claimant has failed to provide the following, in response to the CPR request from myself.   4.2        The legal contract between the Claimant and the landowner (which in this case is Standard Life Investments UK) to provide evidence that there is an agreement in place with landowner with the necessary authority to issue parking charge notices and to pursue payment by means of litigation.   4.3 Proof of planning permission granted for signage etc under the Town and country Planning Act 1990. Lack of planning permission is a criminal offence under this Act and no contract can be formed where criminality is involved.   4.4        I also do not believe the claimant possesses these documents.   No Keeper Liability   5.1        The defendant was not the driver at the time and date mentioned in the PCN and the claimant has not established keeper liability under schedule 4 of the PoFA 2012. In this matter, the defendant puts it to the claimant to produce strict proof as to who was driving at the time.   5.2 The claimant in their Notice To Keeper also failed to comply with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 section 9[2][f] while mentioning “the right to recover from the keeper so much of that parking charge as remains unpaid” where they did not include statement “(if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met)”.     5.3         The claimant did not mention parking period, times on the photographs are separate from the PCN and in any case are that arrival and departure times not the parking period since their times include driving to and from the parking space as a minimum and can include extra time to allow pedestrians and other vehicles to pass in front.    Protection of Freedoms Act 2012   The notice must -   (a) specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;  22. In the persuasive judgement K4GF167G - Premier Park Ltd v Mr Mathur - Horsham County Court – 5 January 2024 it was on this very point that the judge dismissed this claim.  5.4  A the PCN does not comply with the Act the Defendant as keeper is not liable.  No Breach of Contract   6.1       No breach of contract occurred because the PCN and contract provided as part of the defendant’s CPR request shows different post code, PCN shows HA4 0EY while contract shows HA4 0FY. According to PCN defendant parked on HA4 0EY which does not appear to be subject to the postcode covered by the contract.  6.2         The entrance sign does not mention anything about there being other terms inside the car park so does not offer a contract which makes it only an offer to treat,  Interest  7.1  It is unreasonable for the Claimant to delay litigation for  Double Recovery   7.2  The claim is littered with made-up charges.  7.3  As noted above, the Claimant's signs state a £60 charge yet their PCN is for £100.  7.4  As well as the £100 parking charge, the Claimant seeks recovery of an additional £70.  This is simply a poor attempt to circumvent the legal costs cap at small claims.  7.5 Since 2019, many County Courts have considered claims in excess of £100 to be an abuse of process leading to them being struck out ab initio. An example, in the Caernarfon Court in VCS v Davies, case No. FTQZ4W28 on 4th September 2019, District Judge Jones-Evans stated “Upon it being recorded that District Judge Jones- Evans has over a very significant period of time warned advocates (...) in many cases of this nature before this court that their claim for £60 is unenforceable in law and is an abuse of process and is nothing more than a poor attempt to go behind the decision of the Supreme Court v Beavis which inter alia decided that a figure of £160 as a global sum claimed in this case would be a penalty and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss and therefore unenforceable in law and if the practice continued, he would treat all cases as a claim for £160 and therefore a penalty and unenforceable in law it is hereby declared (…) the claim is struck out and declared to be wholly without merit and an abuse of process.”  7.6 In Claim Nos. F0DP806M and F0DP201T, District Judge Taylor echoed earlier General Judgment or Orders of District Judge Grand, stating ''It is ordered that the claim is struck out as an abuse of process. The claim contains a substantial charge additional to the parking charge which it is alleged the Defendant contracted to pay. This additional charge is not recoverabl15e under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4 nor with reference to the judgment in Parking Eye v Beavis. It is an abuse of process from the Claimant to issue a knowingly inflated claim for an additional sum which it is not entitled to recover. This order has been made by the court of its own initiative without a hearing pursuant to CPR Rule 3.3(4)) of the Civil Procedure Rules 1998...''  7.7 In the persuasive case of G4QZ465V - Excel Parking Services Ltd v Wilkinson – Bradford County Court -2 July 2020 (Exhibit 4) the judge had decided that Excel had won. However, due to Excel adding on the £60 the Judge dismissed the case.  7.8        The addition of costs not previously specified on signage are also in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, Schedule 2, specifically paras 6, 10 and 14.   7.9        It is the Defendant’s position that the Claimant in this case has knowingly submitted inflated costs and thus the entire claim should be similarly struck out in accordance with Civil Procedure Rule 3.3(4).   In Conclusion   8.1        I invite the court to dismiss the claim.  Statement of Truth  I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.   
    • Well the difference is that in all our other cases It was Kev who was trying to entrap the motorist so sticking two fingers up to him and daring him to try court was from a position of strength. In your case, sorry, you made a mistake so you're not in the position of strength.  I've looked on Google Maps and the signs are few & far between as per Kev's MO, but there is an entrance sign saying "Pay & Display" (and you've admitted in writing that you knew you had to pay) and the signs by the payment machines do say "Sea View Car Park" (and you've admitted in writing you paid the wrong car park ... and maybe outed yourself as the driver). Something I missed in my previous post is that the LoC is only for one ticket, not two. Sorry, but it's impossible to definitively advise what to so. Personally I'd probably gamble on Kev being a serial bottler of court and reply with a snotty letter ridiculing the signage (given you mentioned the signage in your appeal) - but it is a gamble.  
    • No! What has happened is that your pix were up-to-date: 5 hours' maximum stay and £100 PCN. The lazy solicitors have sent ancient pictures: 4 hours' maximum stay and £60 PCN. Don't let on!  Let them be hoisted by their own lazy petard in the court hearing (if they don't bottle before).
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

dwp forcing me into a job

naz_zzz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Crisis loans can be paid when a person is not receiving benefit, but they are not paid when there is a sanction in place, as it defeats the purpose of the sanction.

However there is no absolute right to a crisis loan nor to hardship payments - both are discretionary, but have specific guidelines for consideration.

The CAB are incorrect in that the DWP cannot leave a person without any means. If this were the case, very few people would do anything that is a condition of receiving their benefit as they would be guaranteed another way of receiving money.

A society that is content to let people starve is a society that has failed.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jsa12

many will agree,just head straight down the doctor's with the stress and anxiety of it all,unfortunately this country is taking examples from the usa and is getting worse and worse.

I suggest you read this thread and see just what they can leave you without

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/263195-benefits-stopped-because-i.html

that ones been going for some time this is always important to apply and keep a record as such,once the "a doubt has arisen" letter arrives you are full able to counterclaim,i have had many of these in the past and have real doubts to some authenticity,a period occurred where these were turning up on every application made at the job centre some weeks later,at one stage i complained to the company was invited for an interview and the paperwork i sent was there,something was badly wrong.

they do try and catch people out,and equally they don't like people that "kick up a stink",keep a record of everything.

Edited by jsa12
update

trouble is everyting that you do with DWP involves your NI number. you cant talk to any one on the phone without they ask it, when you sign on they put the NI num in the computer not your name. when you reduce people to numbers its easy to forget that your dealing with people and when you tell people their screwed by letter you dont see the dispur you cause.

Edited by 42man

I was told life was supposed to be one long learning curve.

Mines more a series of hairpin bends.

Introduce the citizens wage and we can do away with the tin pot hitlers at the jobcentre forevermore. Sadly the political will isn't there because unemployment is big business and most of the support agencies (sadly, CAB included) are toothless tigers. What's needed is a nationwide network to support the unemployed especially in times of hardship and to stand up against this awful government. This coalition that no one voted for will continue to use the fake deficit as an excuse to trample over the poor.

many will agree,just head straight down the doctor's with the stress and anxiety of it all,unfortunately this country is taking examples from the usa and is getting worse and worse.

that ones been going for some time this is always important to apply and keep a record as such,once the "a doubt has arisen" letter arrives you are full able to counterclaim,i have had many of these in the past and have real doubts to some authenticity,a period occurred where these were turning up on every application made at the job centre some weeks later,at one stage i complained to the company was invited for an interview and the paperwork i sent was there,something was badly wrong.

they do try and catch people out,and equally they don't like people that "kick up a stink",keep a record of everything.

Absolutely agree. The 'doubt' is a joke. Problem is you put yourself into that position everytime you take a job to the JC; it gets put on the system. Therefore regardless of whether you've met your JSA requirements, in their eyes you've entered a new contract and so you have to follow through (which means the employer has to keep a record of your employment application). Never say you are going to do more than you can cover and prove 110%.

And i agree, go to the GP when your money is stopped. Tell them you are going to suffer malnutrition and get signed off and don't leave until they help. That's what i'd do. I hate to criticise the CAB i really do, but they just don't have the teeth.

trouble is everyting that you do with DWP involves your NI number. you cant talk to any one on the phone without they ask it, when you sign on they put the NI num in the computer not your name. when you reduce people to numbers its easy to forget that your dealing with people and when you tell people their screwed by letter you dont see the dispur you cause. the nazis did this with the jew, poles and disabled they gassed no names just numbers. not people just numbers, dehumanisation.

I'd have more sympathy for their call centre staff/frontline staff if they behaved with more compassion. I applied for ESA and rang up to check on my claim only to be told id get a callback in 24 hours. That never happened and when i rang back i found out they were on strike that day. Not much to ask to have told me that surely? Then the fun began when i did get through as the stupid woman running the call centre didn't know her arse from her elbow - and still doesn't to this day. Sorry no sympathy for people like that when it's just basic ignorance and incompetence.

Guest jsa12
Absolutely agree. The 'doubt' is a joke. Problem is you put yourself into that position everytime you take a job to the JC; it gets put on the system. Therefore regardless of whether you've met your JSA requirements, in their eyes you've entered a new contract and so you have to follow through (which means the employer has to keep a record of your employment application). Never say you are going to do more than you can cover and prove 110%.

And i agree, go to the GP when your money is stopped. Tell them you are going to suffer malnutrition and get signed off and don't leave until they help. That's what i'd do. I hate to criticise the CAB i really do, but they just don't have the teeth.

that can be the case of applying through them can be more trouble then its worth,and be left thinking why did i bother.there should not be sanctions if you keep a log,arrive on time and apply for what they have sent you for and keep proof.however nothings enough to prevent the attitude as you say its best involve the gp and make clear where the problem lye's if there are nagging problems with them.

So its "prejudice" to call some claimants dead head scroungers but perfectly reasonable to write off DWP/JCP staff as "tin pot Hitlers" with no compassion?

I'm not sure which is worse, that or the comparison between asking people for their NINO and the Third Reich. I use a NINO on my system because its faster, not because we don't care to learn/remember a customer's name. I could put in a surname and DOB but then that often brings up multiple results.

Still its good to know that if I am made unemployed when the coalition gets started on the cutbacks I can look forward to being told I deserved it. :rolleyes:

when your sat on the other side of the desk youll find out. youll be suprised out how many of your colleagues look at their computer screens, the paper work in front of them, their key boards and even their desk but never in your face. when you deal with people you look them in the face and make eye contact. when you reduce people to a number you stop thinkin of them as people, you stop talking to the person and just go through the motions. I found that no matter how many times I tell the current prick that signs me on he always forgets how to pronounce my name he never makes eye contact and I know what hes gonna say before he says it. strangly those that do make eye contact never get my name wrong.

and some claimants are dead head scroungers, whats wrong is to tar us all with the same brush. I dont think all JC staff are pricks some of them are very nice helpful people who treat me like a person, they should all be like that.

Interesting, you seem to presume that because I'm a civil servant I have no experience of claiming benefits. In reality I have done so twice in my life, the second time recently enough to have gone through the modern processes such as the telephone based application. I don't recall any experience like that from either time.

Which isn't to say that it doesn't happen but there could be other reasons than that person treating you as a number rather than as a person. I still don't see why that warrants the comparison to the Third Reich, but that's just me, I tend not to want to fall foul of Godwins law just to make a point.

All that and more is true about Hitler, but the Nazi/Third Reich comparison is overdone far too often. If you overdo the comparisons to the point where the connection is too tenuous then you risk seeming like you're just mentioning the the comparison for dramatic effect.

The Nazis did give people numbers as part of removing their identity, but its a fallacy to then suggest that another government who gives people numbers and uses that number is likely to fall into the same trap.

I also think that most people behind the desks and on the phone can and do "see the person" and try to get some understanding of the situation and how they can help within the confines of their job role. I don't think that has to be restricted to seeing someone in person, although that is easier, but that's not always practical however.

I'm sorry to be a bit of a party-pooper but I do think the notion of 'we are being dehumanised, we are now just a number' to be, well, tosh. The National Insurance Number system has been around for at least sixty plus years in its present popularity and was first brought into being in 1911.

As far as I'm aware it is used by the DWP and others as the primary key for record location and I have no problem with that. Never have I contacted any agency who uses my NINO and been addressed purely in alpha-numeric terms! They use my name. Honestly...

Best wishes

WM983589XX

So its "prejudice" to call some claimants dead head scroungers but perfectly reasonable to write off DWP/JCP staff as "tin pot Hitlers" with no compassion?

I'm not sure which is worse, that or the comparison between asking people for their NINO and the Third Reich. I use a NINO on my system because its faster, not because we don't care to learn/remember a customer's name. I could put in a surname and DOB but then that often brings up multiple results.

Still its good to know that if I am made unemployed when the coalition gets started on the cutbacks I can look forward to being told I deserved it. :rolleyes:

I speak only from my own experience, as I made perfectly clear before. And my experience is that these people are just that. The JC+ is far from helpful; it's little more than a bureacracy and a board for whichever rubbish local employers (mainly recruitment agencies in reality) want to palm off as jobs - most of which I stronly suspect aren't long term positions or careers (especially when you see them deadeyed crap posted repeatedly).

I'm sorry to be a bit of a party-pooper but I do think the notion of 'we are being dehumanised, we are now just a number' to be, well, tosh. The National Insurance Number system has been around for at least sixty plus years in its present popularity and was first brought into being in 1911.

As far as I'm aware it is used by the DWP and others as the primary key for record location and I have no problem with that. Never have I contacted any agency who uses my NINO and been addressed purely in alpha-numeric terms! They use my name. Honestly...

Best wishes

WM983589XX

People are dehumanised by the system, not solely because they have a NINO. People are treated as statistics - the whole exercise with ATOS is motivated to kick people off the sick because the stats are too high.

All that and more is true about Hitler, but the Nazi/Third Reich comparison is overdone far too often. If you overdo the comparisons to the point where the connection is too tenuous then you risk seeming like you're just mentioning the the comparison for dramatic effect.

The Nazis did give people numbers as part of removing their identity, but its a fallacy to then suggest that another government who gives people numbers and uses that number is likely to fall into the same trap.

I also think that most people behind the desks and on the phone can and do "see the person" and try to get some understanding of the situation and how they can help within the confines of their job role. I don't think that has to be restricted to seeing someone in person, although that is easier, but that's not always practical however.

as Ive said in other threads DWP staff are human and as such falable. the ref to the nazis is a valid ref and used a lot because of this. it is history and any people that dont learn from history are doomed to make the same mistakes. when you give people numbers then you run the risk of losing sight of the person. adolf and his mates gave people numbers to deliberately dehumanise them. we use NI num for administration reasons and run the risk of accidently dehumanising people.

Best wishes

WM983589XX

The NI num is a good and useful tool but unfortunately like all tools it can be misused and abused. DWP staff are human and as such come in all shapes, sizes and personalities. Ive had advisors who have been fantastic and bent over backward to help me, they get as frustrated as I do with the limitation of the DWP, others cant even make eye contact and cant even prononce your name right. I did get one to make eye contact with me after a couple of months when at the top of my voice (very very loud) I told him how to pronounce my name and explained that it is an old name English name dating back to the fifth or sixth century, and is derived from the old english/anglo saxon word for oak. im not an arab so theirs no need for all the flem when pronouncing it. he didnt get it wrong again. after that he always talked to me not his pc screen, some times you have to make them see you. the trouble is some people dont see the person.

I speak only from my own experience, as I made perfectly clear before. And my experience is that these people are just that. The JC+ is far from helpful; it's little more than a bureacracy and a board for whichever rubbish local employers (mainly recruitment agencies in reality) want to palm off as jobs - most of which I stronly suspect aren't long term positions or careers (especially when you see them deadeyed crap posted repeatedly).

They can find a plenty of reasons not to help but very few reasons to help.

So very true. If i have to go on the dole again, in the case of a failed medical, i shall be very very miserable.

Actually what does bother me is, because i live a bus journey away from the JC, i have to fork out to get there. Now that I can live with, but it means i actually get less than the government says is the minimum i need to live on because i have to make that expenditure. Whereas someone who lives in walking distance obviously doesn't. Totally arbitrary.

On top of that, and whats worse, is their total lack of flexibility with things like signing times (which, the longer you sign, the more they just randomly change). They just do NOT take any consideration of travel into the equation.

I was 9.15 am in hull city centre for a while, I explained it cost me 3 times as much in petrol in rush hour trafic and it took 50 mins as aposed to 15 - 20 min later in the day. her answer: take the bus. I pointed out that bus stop 15 min walk from our house and not capeable of the walk when back and hip playing up and busses jar the hell ut of my back on the potholes that pass for roads round here. her answer: are you registered disabled - no. her answer sign on sick (they signed me of fit for non pysical work) or be on time. if your late twice in a row we'll stop your money. then a few months latter a was moved to rob (yes this one had a name) first signing with him I asked if I could change signing times and explained why, next signing 11.15am no fuss.

Similar story: I had to sign on at 9.25 am which meant waiting around town for 40 mins prior with nothing to do in the rain. Can't they swap my time for someone local who walks? Course not. Then they changed it to 11.20am without telling me just as I signed off. No buss for two hours either way at that time. Their attitude: if you had a job you'd have a travel and thus it's the same thing.

Jobsworths.

practicallity and comon sence seem to be lacking in these people. the young ones and those that started from school and have been their 20 yrs seem to lack the experience in the real world, these are the ones that lack the people skills. those that came to the job latter in life seem to have more about them and know how to deal with people. best advisor I had had been a bus driver until his diabeties progrest to the point were he needed insulin. couldnt fault the man we always let on if we see each other in the JC, god I wish they were all like that.

Could we not just waive claimants who are doing voluntary work?

You mean as in exempt them from signing? Probably not, but I could see a case for allowing such people to sign postally. Indeed, that's what used to happen when a person lived more than a certain distance away from the nearest Jobcentre.

I imagine the system was changed due to Daily Mailism, but I'm not sure.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks