Outstanding Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5049 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi , I have a debt with Barclaycard of over £2000, i have avoided paying it for a couple of years, but have now caught up with me. The thing is the amount they are requesting seems to have shot up on this as i thought i was only about £500, and i can't remember what the actual total was supposed to be. Should i try and offer them a settlement amount of say £500, or should i try and opt for so much a month?

Depends what you want to do.

You could send a CCA request to see if they even have an enforceable Agreement, when did you take the card out?

You could send a SAR request which will get you all of the paperwork they hold on you personally, which would help you see where the extra £1500 has come from - probably charges and interest which you may be able to claim back.

Too early yet to be thinking of an F & F Settlement in my opinion.

Guest Cartaphilus

Would it not say in any letters you've received what type of account it was ie account numbers for card and current account would be very different?

The thing is the amount they are requesting seems to have shot up on this as i thought i was only about £500, and i can't remember what the actual total was
Alternatively, I just had a think ... did you have a card and a current acount? I was just wondering if Sadlycard or Sadly's (Barclaycard) had somehow combined both into one amount. I've read it does happen, but I've forgotten the name for this kind of thing.

Also, as it's likely after this length of time to be with one ... Which DCA is this now with as it often helps with what answers/solutions to give eg how awkward said DCA is going to get.

Edited by Cartaphilus

thats a credit card.

pers i'd ignore them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest Cartaphilus

Yep. Credit card. Due to connection problems - must be high demand on the internet today as my phone isn't working - reply was delayed.

Are you sure that HFO has sent you the correct card number details or that it's Barclaycard as the creditor? 4921 ... take a look here, as I was looking up which of their cards began with that number (as they usually start with 4929) to try and pinpoint which type of card it was with them, found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bank_Identification_Numbers

Edited by Cartaphilus

Apologies it was 4929, so number is probably correct. Will contact the phone number today to say i will be sending them a letter asking for clarification of this account ie, i do not recall having an outstanding debt on a barclaycard, could you please show me information proving this. Is this the way to go?

never EVER phone these DCA leeches!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Because DCA employees are trained to extract money from you and to use unpleasant tactics to do so. Things are said over the telephone that won't be put in writing- eg people have been told that the police will be around to collect the debt.

Written communications provide an audit trail that can be cited in court or to regulatory authorities later if necessary.

The only caveat I would attach to this is speaking to them if you are recording the call can be OK in some circumstances.