• Tweets

• Thank you to you all, you guys are amazing!! Yes of course i will be making a donation, i am very grateful to you all. Keep up the good work
    • I'm not quite out of the woods yet. The email they sent me also said that I have £290 of arrears and it has been passed onto their collections department. If anything my account should be £10 in credit.  They haven't taken into account the trainers that were returned back in October. The other items have been credited to my account so it looks like I've still got work to do.  They are not very quick to reply to emails, although I've only sent one trying to find more information, and I have no idea what happens next. Half of me want's to get it sorted properly the other half just wants it over with, if that means a default then so be it. 
    • No. It's a public (council maintained) road with some houses in it.   Some other houses back onto it too and those owners have right of way down the road to access the back of their properties.  Theres a few garages with private osp - so one drives out the garage, over the osp, and onto the public side road and then out on to the public main road.  Irrespective of whether the garages are used - the local businesses parking their cars on the private osp are ostensibly preventing cars from accessing the public roads.
    • is the side street solely for access to your garages? who owns the land and thus the road? dx  
    • A local business has been parking on an off-street parking space in front of my garages (in a side street).  I wasn't using them for a while so didnt bother to do anything.  But now a second local business is also using the osp - taking it in turns with the 1st biz.  This has started to nark me.    The employees choose to drive to work.  There is no private parking in their business's street.  But there are some underground secure garages in their street - which cost apx £2.4k/y to rent - which works out apx £6.60/d. (I believe one of the biz owners already rent one for storage purposes).  If the employee had to park on a meter it would cost them £6.60/h - £66 for 10h and have to move every 4h.  They just don't want to pay for parking. I haven't confronted either of them.  Instead I just put 2 clear "no parking" signs in front of the garages. And a note on one of the cars specifically saying that as they don't live or rent in the street and it's private land could they stop parking.   They ignored that.  And just put notes on their dash with a # to call if one needs the car moved.  There is a sign and they've been told in writing to stop parking. And they are just ignoring it.    I don't what a confrontation.    I don't want to go to the expense of bollards (other than maybe traffic plastic ones - but they'll probs just move them).  Council won't do zilch cos it's private land. And police won't get involved - unless I clamp/ tow the cars and then they'd be after me, not the drivers!    What's the best thing to do?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Disciplinary Hearing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

'No letter through email and no idea if it is written or not. Mind games? Bah!

Given I have had a meeting with minutes taken is it too late to introduce new evidence and how do I broach the subject?'

I've been on this thread from early on and have followed it. I may be tired tonight, but what new evidence do you mean please?

And the boss who seemed matey, is he part of the problem?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The history of trying to break systems is in your favour, it means that your actions are less likely to have been dishonest. Can you get someone to support you in that, or is your manager aware of it?

Honmeybee>> The evidence I was querying was in response to the above on having someone support my playing with systems to test and see what they can do.

No response again today and wondering if I can get to 7 days without word and the hearing being nulled if I am reading ACAS correctly.

Regards

It seems that this is a total over-reaction.

The truth of the matter is that your company's computer system is primarily at fault if it allows employees to cancel their own leave. Only line managers should have the pre-requisite authority to do this. You were merely exploring the full functionality of the system, which most curious minded individuals would do at some point or another....it's the "what happens if I press this button" mentality.

Did you have comprehensive training on the system and were you aware of the fact that you could cancel past leave. Do you have any training documentation?

I would certainly be making the point that you were not aware that the system allowed you to cancel past leave (whether taken or not) and would also be challenging why the company did not have a more secure system in place to prevent employees making adjustments in error when checking leave that has been taken.

As a result of the company's failure, you have been subject to undue stress for which they are largely culpable.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Interesting points, Welshmam. How do they know that other people haven't found this error on the system and taken extra holidays at a cost to the company and fellow employees?

As for getting into trouble for pressing every available button and seeing where it leads, my OH wouldn't have a job if people applied that!

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Cheers as always and an update.

Met with the manager this afternoon whom did not beat around the bush and passed his verdict and what is happening -

I will be receiving a formal first warning which will remain on file for 12 months rather than 6 months due to it severity and I will be sent on a Code of Conduct course through work.

I assume this would class as a disciplinary to the same degree as a final written or misconduct charge should a marking scheme for redundancies arise (possible as work in construction).

Will wait for the letter for better particulars.

Thanks guys :)

Cheers as always and an update.

Met with the manager this afternoon whom did not beat around the bush and passed his verdict and what is happening -

I will be receiving a formal first warning which will remain on file for 12 months rather than 6 months due to it severity and I will be sent on a Code of Conduct course through work.

I assume this would class as a disciplinary to the same degree as a final written or misconduct charge should a marking scheme for redundancies arise (possible as work in construction).

Will wait for the letter for better particulars.

Thanks guys :)

Essentially, the disciplinary sanction you have been given is a first written warning which is to remain on your file for 12 months.

Just remember at the end of the 12 months to ensure this is removed as it's not something which is automatically carried out in a lot of organisations even though it should.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

It seems that this is a total over-reaction.

The truth of the matter is that your company's computer system is primarily at fault if it allows employees to cancel their own leave. Only line managers should have the pre-requisite authority to do this. You were merely exploring the full functionality of the system, which most curious minded individuals would do at some point or another....it's the "what happens if I press this button" mentality.

Did you have comprehensive training on the system and were you aware of the fact that you could cancel past leave. Do you have any training documentation?

I would certainly be making the point that you were not aware that the system allowed you to cancel past leave (whether taken or not) and would also be challenging why the company did not have a more secure system in place to prevent employees making adjustments in error when checking leave that has been taken.

As a result of the company's failure, you have been subject to undue stress for which they are largely culpable.

I disagree. The system is hardly at fault, when it had a security protocol in place to email the line manager for confirmation, before it was fully cancelled. I imagine this is identical to how the user books leave...

• Employee logs onto system.
  • Chooses dates and confirms.
  • System emails manager.
  • Manager confirms/rejects leave accordingly.
  • Employee gets an email confirming response.

So I cannot see how the company is failing here, when the system is there to stop wrongful deletion of leave without authorisation - the OP was caught trying to do this action. The stress has been caused by the OP's actions - albeit without intent to 'defraud' the company.

Roj, I am glad that the company have realised that you were not trying to benefit from your exploration of the system.

I disagree. The system is hardly at fault, when it had a security protocol in place to email the line manager for confirmation, before it was fully cancelled. I imagine this is identical to how the user books leave...

• Employee logs onto system.
  • Chooses dates and confirms.
  • System emails manager.
  • Manager confirms/rejects leave accordingly.
  • Employee gets an email confirming response.

So I cannot see how the company is failing here, when the system is there to stop wrongful deletion of leave without authorisation - the OP was caught trying to do this action. The stress has been caused by the OP's actions - albeit without intent to 'defraud' the company.

Roj, I am glad that the company have realised that you were not trying to benefit from your exploration of the system.

Obviously we disagree Griffzilla and I respect your opinion.

Nonetheless, I feel compelled to reply even though the discussion is somewhat irrelevant, given the outcome. ;)

My view remains that the system is at fault as it permits unauthorised activity to occur which is essentially entrapment i.e. enticing someone to commit an offence which they would not ordinarily commit.

The booking of leave is not the issue, it is the crediting of leave which should only be done by an authorised individual, in much the same way, I imagine as leave entitlement is entered into the system at the beginning of every new leave year.

I'm sure if the company had a flaw in their financial system whereby employees could write their own salary cheques every month they'd soon fix it!!

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

I asked the question about an employee and manager being related or very good friends and the situation that in an agreement the employee could intentionally cancel holiday and have it authorised by the manager as a favour.

I think it struck a cord and no doubt my manager will investigate.

Thank you for walking with me and helping me to be calm and rational.

Kind regards