Travel Delay Insurance policy query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A relative in a party of 6 people had their return boat from holiday delayed for 23 hours.

Part of their claim is on the group travel delay insurance which says -

We will pay up to the amounts specified on your policy schedule (£25) per insured person for each complete 12 hours you are delayed.

The group think it is reasonable to interpret the policy wording as paying £25 for each complete 12 hours which is £2.08 per hour and so for a 23 hour delay their entitlement is £47.84 each. They claimed this but the claims company has offered to pay for the first 12 hours only. They say the £25 is a fixed amount payable for a fixed period of time and subsequent amounts only apply as each 12 hour block is reached.

The money involved is small but it is a matter of principle. The passengers think the policy wording is not sufficiently explicit and is open to interpretation. They think the claims company are being unfairly narrow in their view to their detriment.

One example they use is if someone is employed for £x per day and works for a day and threequarters. Would it be right for the employer to pay for just one day and not pay pro-rata for the next day on the basis that the second day was not worked in full?

Please may I have your comments.

The Insurers are correct. It would be £25 for each 12 hour period.

The wording of the policy is very clear and I can't see a different interpretation. If the policy was covering delay on a per hour basis, over an above 12 hours, it would have stated this.

Waste of time continuing with a complaint, as the wording of the policy and the way the claim is being handled is standard.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

For what it's worth, I agree with unclebulgaria. 23 hours' delay means that you had a complete 12 hours, £25 each. Had it been 24 hours, you would have got more money. It's insurance speak, unfortunately, but clear in inusrance terms. I wouldn't take it any further myself.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum