• Tweets

• The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted.
    • Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Kingston Eden Street Bus Lanes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3097 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello

Was a bit bewildered to receive a ticket from Kingston for driving in a bus lane in Eden Street. I have looked at Google streetview, and although this is old photos, it does seem there is a 'bus lane' after all. I drove straight along Eden street and onto the bus lane. Looking at the streetview images, there are no signs to indicate that a bus lane is upcoming. Does anyone know if this is still the case, and if so is this grounds for appeal? Also, if this is not grounds for appeal, are there any other grounds for appeal. Looking at previous posts, it seems that this catches out a lot of people.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello

Was a bit bewildered to receive a ticket from Kingston for driving in a bus lane in Eden Street. I have looked at Google streetview, and although this is old photos, it does seem there is a 'bus lane' after all. I drove straight along Eden street and onto the bus lane. Looking at the streetview images, there are no signs to indicate that a bus lane is upcoming. Does anyone know if this is still the case, and if so is this grounds for appeal? Also, if this is not grounds for appeal, are there any other grounds for appeal. Looking at previous posts, it seems that this catches out a lot of people.

Thanks in anticipation.

As far as I recall there is a sign stating all traffic should turn right but this is infact not lawfully placed as buses taxis and cycles can go straight on so it only adds to the confusion.

• 4 weeks later...

Another case won at PATAS - on the wording issue re PCN: will be served as opposed to may be served. However, what concerns me is the number of cases not allowed at PATAS with the same wording! Do these adjudicators actually read the paperwork I have to ask myself? The EN of RBK is even more riddled with similar errors.

Unfortunately, this loophole is now closed. Perhaps the 23,000 who received similar PCN's should take RBK to the Small Claims Court retrospectively in light of this decision. I defer to the original OP to provide further details. Nevertheless, the EN is even more outrageous in its non-compliance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have done a google search on the issue of PCNs in Eden Street as I have just recieved one.

I came across this thread and I was wondering how I go about trying to cancel the PCN as it is totally out of order. I would be very grateful if the people who have successfully had their PCNs cancelled could let me know the basis of their appeal.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks.

The first thing to do is require all photographic and video evidence from the Council. The former they should send to you, the latter you will have to arrange to view at their offices in Kingston. Look for all signage in place on the day and whether your car is proved to have passed it. They will put the case on hold when you ask for the photographic evidence etc. Take pictures of all current signage. I would correspond in writing, via e-mail: their website has a standard form to challenge a PCN.

• 2 weeks later...

This case is useful re video evidence and defintion of a bus lane and sign used: 210063849. I don't think the inexact locus on the PCN has been argued before: simply states "Eden Street". This case is useful: 2060381000.

They have changed the wording on the Enforcement Notice: gone is the "will" re issue of a Charge Certifcate, changed to "may". I still believe the grounds statements are confusing and prejudicial and the timing issue "within". This case is useful: 2100433329

There is another issue with the signage. You can hardly read the BUS LANE legend on approach as it is painted on the downward slope of the road: had a good look at it today. In fact, I would even argue that you could not read it even when you are on the lane, certainly from the height of your seat in the car.

I have received a bill in the post for entering this "bus lane" - at 18 30 on Sat 11 June. As St James Rd was closed northbound for roadworks, I followed yellow diversion signs from Wheatfield Way via Ashdown Rd & Eden St, wanting to get to All Saints Church via Union St. There was a "No right Turn" sign on the lamp post at the Eden St/Union St crosssroads so I carried on to the next roundabout, turned round & came back. I was completely flummoxed to find then a "No left turn" sign facing me & in my confusion entered this so-called bus lane.

I feel completely "had" by Kingston Council as there should be red-ringed prohibitory signs, not a blue sign, which only means that buses MUST follow that route. When I checked on site yesterday the "No right turn" sign has disappeared, but there are marks on the post where it was. Was it supposed to face northbound traffic on St James Rd?

The PCN refers to the Road Traffic At 1984 & London Local Authorities Act 1996 & the code for the alleged offence is 34J.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

E-mail the council for the photographic evidence and make an appointment to view the video evidence. All sound advice is given in this thread as to what to look for. Act within 14 days of date of the PCN so that they will freeze the rate of the penalty charge.

That was quite a route you took - may be useful as a mitigating circumstance.

I feel completely "had" by Kingston Council as there should be red-ringed prohibitory signs, not a blue sign, which only means that buses MUST follow that route.

No it doesn't you need to brush up on your highway code it means that no more than the blue cycle lane sign means cycles must use it.

Thanks. Yes I have acted within the timeframe. Yes I have visited the town hall & seen the video- which only seems to show me crossing the crossroads- but presumably they have more footage which they didn't show me.

It's the No Right Turn sign which bugs me because if it hadn't been for that I would have had no problem. Does anyone with previous knowledge of the Council's squirming on this "bus lane" issue have any knowledge of this sign at the top of St James Rd to stop traffic turning onto the Eden St bus zone?

D

In the original authorisation and plan which I have seen and have in my possession, the turn right sign(s) - there are two, one just before the lane itself - do not form part of the authorisation. I trust you have a picture of them both and you should write to RBK about this, asking them if they have added this trun right sign with the DfT's approval or not.

Thanks, but this was a NO right turn sign, which was facing me at the crossroads, when heading west on Eden St. It's gone now, but I'm wondering if it was intended to face northbound traffic on St James Rd & got turned round.

D

• 2 weeks later...

Case Reference:2100646953

Appellant:Mrs Anna Neville

Authority:Kingston Upon Thames

VRM:GF07YXB

PCN:KT55280527

Contravention Date:29 May 2010

Contravention Time:12:52

Contravention Location:Eden Street

Penalty Amount:£120.00

Contravention:Being in a bus lane

Decision Date:01 Jul 2011

Adjudicator:Andrew Harman

Appeal Decision:Allowed

Direction:cancel the Penalty Charge Notice and the Enforcement Notice.Reasons:This appeal was scheduled for personal hearing earlier today.

Neither party to the proceedings attended.

It has now been listed before me for determination on the papers.

I have considered all of the detailed submissions made by the appellant and am not persuaded as to the merit of any of the points she makes but in cases such as this where an appellant raises the issue of signage it is incumbent upon the council to establish that its signage complies with the legal requirements. The council submits that non-prescribed signage at this location is subject to Department of Transport (DOT) authorisation but although it provides a DOT drawing showing such signage it does not supply a copy of the Secretary of State's authorisation. I cannot therefore be satisfied on the evidence adduced by the council that its signage is compliant and find that the contravention has not been proved. I must accordingly allow the appeal.

Well done that lady! Fascinating. Actually, the council did the drawing and this decision begs the question: does/did Kingston ever produce any such evidence in prior cases?! A stroke of luck!

Of course, this has ramifications re consistency amongst PATAS adjudicators.

Thanks for posting this, G and M.

Edited by HYMN AND MI

Firstly, I haven't read all the posts as I'm at work and I think I know what the answer will be, but I thought I'd see what suggestions come up.

On the 27th November 2010 I drove down this street, allegedly breaking the law. The first I heard about it was last Thursday when I got a letter from a collection agency threatening me with a warrant of execution. I asked for and received the photo evidence about this (which I can attach if necessary). They had sent the letters to my old address (I changed address just after this) so I knew nothing about it.

I'm not from Kingston and I don't know the town at all (I was there for the Christmas market) so I had no idea that I was not supposed to be on there (nor do I even remember the signage).

Now, the issue that I have, is that I'm being threatened with a warrant of execution by the collection agency, so time is possibly very short here (TBH, I'm not entirely sure what a warrant of execution really is) and although I've asked, Kingston say they won't hold it off.

Does anyone have any advice, or should I just bite the bullet and pay, although it seems that Kingston may not be in the right here.

Firstly, I haven't read all the posts as I'm at work and I think I know what the answer will be, but I thought I'd see what suggestions come up.

On the 27th November 2010 I drove down this street, allegedly breaking the law. The first I heard about it was last Thursday when I got a letter from a collection agency threatening me with a warrant of execution. I asked for and received the photo evidence about this (which I can attach if necessary). They had sent the letters to my old address (I changed address just after this) so I knew nothing about it.

I'm not from Kingston and I don't know the town at all (I was there for the Christmas market) so I had no idea that I was not supposed to be on there (nor do I even remember the signage).

Now, the issue that I have, is that I'm being threatened with a warrant of execution by the collection agency, so time is possibly very short here (TBH, I'm not entirely sure what a warrant of execution really is) and although I've asked, Kingston say they won't hold it off.

Does anyone have any advice, or should I just bite the bullet and pay, although it seems that Kingston may not be in the right here.

It has gone beyond the did I or didn't I do it point so you need to get the warrant cancelled by doing a statutary declaration..

Statutory Declaration

Where an Order for Recovery has been made, liability for the penalty can then ONLY be challenged in the following circumstances:

• you did not receive the Enforcement Notice in question; or

• you made representations to the local authority concerned but did not receive a Notice of Rejection from that authority; or

• you appealed to the Adjudicator against the rejection by the local authority of your representations but had no response to the appeal.

If, and ONLY if, one of these applies, you may make a Statutory Declaration.

The completed Statutory Declaration should be returned to the Traffic Enforcement Centre within 21 days beginning with the date of service of the Order for Recovery, although there are provisions for the court to allow longer.

A Statutory Declaration may only be made by the person against whom an Order for Recovery has been made.

It is a criminal offence to make a false Statutory Declaration.

For information available from the Traffic Enforcement Centre on the Statutory Declaration procedure and downloadable forms, click here. (Please note that PATAS cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of information on third party web sites)

Next steps

What happens next depends on the grounds for making the Statutory Declaration.

• if the ground is that the Enforcement Notice was not received, the Order for Recovery, the Charge Certificate and Enforcement Notice are cancelled. The local authority may then issue a new Enforcement Notice;

• if the ground is that the Notice of Rejection or a decision from the Adjudicator was not received, the local authority must refer the Statutory Declaration to the Adjudicator who will decide what will happen next.

NOTE: the original Penalty Charge Notice is NOT cancelled.

Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

The second link you posted (and I can't quote it here as I don't have enough posts to enable me to post links but it's the one just above "Next Steps") doesn't work. Could you re-post it please?

Sorry about that it seems HM GOVT has decided to to spend our money on a nice new website to replace the HMCS one.....

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/bulk-centre/traffic-enforcement-centre/statutory-declarations/OOTApplicationPack.pdf

http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/northampton-bulk-centre/traffic-enforcement-centre/statutory-declarations.htm

• 2 weeks later...

See this decision. At last, an adjudicator has been down there to see for himself...........................

Register Kept Under Regulation 20 of the Road Traffic (Parking Adjudicators)(London) Regulations 1993, as amended or Paragraph 21 of the Schedule to the Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) Representations and Appeals Regulations 2007, as applicable

Case Reference:2110177167 Appellant:Mr

Authority:Kingston Upon Thames VRM:

PCN:KT55340753 Contravention Date:03 Oct 2010 Contravention Time:12:39 Contravention Location:Eden Street Penalty Amount:£120.00 Contravention:Being in a bus lane Decision Date:28 Jul 2011 Adjudicator:Edward Houghton Appeal Decision:Allowed Direction:cancel the Penalty Charge Notice and the Enforcement Notice. Reasons:This appeal is allowed for reasons similar to those in the case of Kostylo (2011) which I set out in full below:-

On the 10 th April 2010 the Appellant's vehicle was seen on camera entering the contraflow bus lane in Eden Street in the centre of Kingston. The Appellant's case is that the signage indicting the presence of the bus lane is neither clear nor technically correct. The onus is on the Council to prove, on balance, that it is. The case raises the interesting and not particularly easy question as to the correct way to sign the entrance to a contraflow lane for buses, taxis and cycles.

In considering these issues I have had the benefit of some well presented and clear technical submissions from the Appellant and equally clear and detailed submissions from the Council in reply. I have also had the advantage of inspecting the location in the company of the Appellant and Council representatives

It seems to me the starting point in this case is what is provided by the relevant Traffic Management Orders as it is these that decide what it is that has to be signed. The Kingston upon Thames (Bus Priority) Traffic Order 2001 as amended by the Kingston upon Thames (Bus Priority)(Amendment No.8) Traffic Order 2009 creates an eastbound contraflow bus lane for buses, taxis, pedal cycles, and dial- a- ride buses, running from the extended eastern kerbline of Union Street to the extended western kerbline of Brook St at the other end. I am therefore concerned in this case with a bus lane, not a bus only route.

The Council's plan illustrates the location and the signage at the start of it at the western end. The key elements are a single round blue sign to diagram 953 on the left of the carriageway and the legend BUS LANE on the carriageway itself. To the right of the contraflow entrance there are two no entry signs guarding the exit point of the one way lane running east to west to prevent drivers heading straight into oncoming traffic.

The correct marking of contraflow bus lanes is covered in some detail in the Traffic Signs Manual ("TSM"). One needs to remind oneself that the TSM is not law as such. Nevertheless it is official guidance from the Department for Transport and in my view its detailed recommendations must carry some weight, if for no other reason than they are of national application and set out what drivers might reasonably expect to see on the roads wherever they may happen to be. They cannot, however, override statutory provisions such as the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 ("TSRGD").

The relevant parts of the TSM are Chapter 5 para 17.12 and Chapter 3 Para 15.18ff. These agree in recommending a similar type of configuration (- one round blue sign plus bus lane, or bus and cycle symbol, lane, as the case may be -) to what is there in the present case; see in particular Figures 15.8 and 15.10. However there is no specific recommendation as to what to do with a bus, cycle and taxi lane. The difficulty is that although diagram 953 can be varied to indicate buses cycles and taxis, the carriageway legend to diagram 1048.1 cannot. (If the blue sign is used to indicate a bus only route or bus gate the difficulty evaporates , since the carriageway legend to diagram 1048.4 (BUS ONLY etc) does allow TAXIS as a permitted variant. Why this distinction is made is a matter for the Department, but the fact that it is made must have some significance).

The Council, faced with this difficulty, wisely sought the advice of the Department the upshot of which was an e-mail of the 29 th September confirming that "the use of the road marking to diagram 1048 will be acceptable". However there appears to be no more formal authorisation for its use.

Although it might be acceptable as a solution to the problem, having considered the matter carefully I am not satisfied that it is lawful. Although signs to diagram 953 are more usually associated with bus gates there is nothing in the TSRGD which positively prohibits them from being used with the carriageway legend BUS LANE to diagram 1048. However the converse does not apply. Direction 18(3) Table 2, Item 6 provides that this legend can only be placed on a road in conjunction with Diagram 1049 and either 959 or 960. "In conjunction with" in my view connotes a close degree of spatial connection which is not satisfied by the presence of the contraflow bus lane sign ( which is not in any event to diagram 960 but specifically authorised) at the far end of the contraflow facing the oncoming traffic. The carriageway legend to diagram 1048 at this location is in my judgement not being used in conjunction with diagram 960 but in conjunction with diagram 953. The upshot is that the entry to the bus lane is incorrectly signed, and that is sufficient for the Appeal to be allowed. The Council, however, will no doubt have no difficulty in obtaining promptly the Secretary of States' authorisation for the retention of this combination in view of the indication given by the Department's officer in his e-mail.

In the circumstances I will deal only very briefly and incompletely with the Appellant's other submissions on the signage none of which I find persuasive, ingenious and well presented though they are. I do not consider that minor defects in the carriageway markings of the bus lane further along the road have any bearing on the clarity of the bus lane at its point of entry - and in any event I would apply the principle of de minimis. Bus lane signage should not be continued over pedestrian crossings - see Chapter 5 Para 17.17 TSM. Should any question arise in the future as to the correctness and clarity of the signage for vehicles entering the one-way street at the other end and trespassing into the contraflow lane, the question of the correctness and clarity at that end would fall to be decided on its merits. So far as the present case goes it appears sufficiently clear and compliant.

Similarly I would apply de minimis to the marginal variations in the dimensions of the various signs measured by the Appellant if not already covered by the variation provisions in the TSRGD itself.

Although the sign to diagram 953 is a sign the contravention of which is enforceable under the London Local Authorities and Transport for London Act 2003 the location in the present case is a bus lane; and Oxfordshire CC v Bus Lane Adjudicator [2010] EWHC 894 (Admin) is authority for the proposition that something that is a bus lane can be indicated by signage more usually associated with a moving traffic contravention (in that case signs to diagram 619) and still be enforced as a bus lane. The High Court in that case said "Moreover, as Mr Straker QC's skeleton argument states (paragraph 49), Diagram 953 of the TSRGD 2002) indicates a bus lane but is in the list of signs defined as moving traffic contraventions in the 2004 Act. This strongly suggests that the legislature did not conceive of the two categories being mutually exclusive".

As to the clarity of the signage generally, in particular the lack of sufficient advance warning it seems to me the Appellant is on firmer ground. I agree with him that more advance warning is required. For most bus lanes motorists have the benefit of the large blue advance warning signs and carriageway taper. In the case of contraflow lanes there is no such signage, merely the signage at the entrance. This is to all intents and purposes identical to the signage for a bus gate, and in my view similar considerations should apply. Although Figures 15.8,9,and 10 Chapter 3 TSM, which illustrate the entry signage for a contraflow bus lane, do not show any recommendation for warning signage, Figure 15.14 illustrating a two-way bus gate, does show a recommended warning sign to what appears to be a permitted variant of diagram 2108. I regard it as significant that the road layout illustrated in this Figure (unlike the former ones) is of a very similar type of configuration to what appears on the ground in the present case i.e. with the main road turning a corner in front of the bus gate.

The motorist is approaching what is fairly uncommon type of entry prohibition in a busy street, signed in a way that is non-standard enough to need specific authorisation. . There is other signage about, including a pair of no entry signs which inevitably catch the eye first and distract from the single blue sign to the left close to a tree, and a keep left sign which ( whilst lawful) is normally some sort of implied invitation to traffic to continue to pass on that side. . The Council points to the sign indicating "all routes" and a right pointing arrow as giving sufficient warning. However whist not actually contradicting the prohibition on proceeding ahead, this sign is intended to be, and will be read as, a navigational aid rather then a warning that going straight ahead is actually prohibited. The motorist does not have the luxury of inspecting and analysing the signage in the manner of a visiting Adjudicator but has to absorb the signs virtually instantly.

In summary, whilst rejecting the majority of the Appellant's submissions I have come to the conclusion that for the reasons given above the signage to indicate the prohibition relied on is neither strictly compliant nor in context sufficiently clear. The vehicle was therefore not in contravention and the Appeal is allowed.

Also, this linked case: 210055021A

Edited by HYMN AND MI