under investigation , Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been off work for 3 months, after having a minor stroke, along with some artery issues, I am now back at work. Upon my return my employer took me aside and stated , I am putting you under investigation for going fly fishing whilst off work . Note i was certified as unfit for work by my GP. I feel that going fishing twice during a 3 month spell of absence is not a cause for an enquiry, am i expected to be under house arrest for 3 months . Question does my employer have the right to control my life , I must say under my terms of employment i do recieve full pay during sickness absence , my last spell off being 8 yrs ago. thanks in advance

Hello and welcome. You've been through a tough time, haven't you? I hope other caggers will comment on legal aspects, but this sounds inhumane treatment to me.

I wonder how your employer even knew about this?

Even so, gentle exercise and relaxation, which my OH tells me fly fishing is, and time outdoors must be therapeutic, mustn't it? No I don't agree your employer should control your life. Are you allowed to walk the dog, if you have one?

Do you think your GP would back you? They're more in a position to advise you on your physical and mental welfare than your employer.

What size company do you work for please?

Have you had written confirmation of what will happen next? I would like other caggers to comment, but in my time on the forum, I think I've only seen people investigated for events at work.

If you are so inclined, check the ACAS and directgov websites on workplace investigations. They tell you how it should be structured, etc, but I can't remember if they cover reasons why an investigation might be held.

Just in case it goes that far, I think it would help you to understand the procedures that should be followed, because if they don't follow them, you could have cause for complaint. Start writing things down. I hope you won't need to, but just in case, keep a note of anything odd.

Try not to worry, you have back-up here.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I suppose whether it is reasonable for the employer to take an interest depends on what your medical certificate said, and whether fly fishing is likely to be possible if you have that condition - which is really only a decision a doctor would be qualified to make, I would have thought?

I am thinking of the guy locally who was investigated for having medical certificates attesting to his inability to walk, while managing to be a football referee - in that situation I suspect the employer is entitled to make enquiries.

I would go and see your GP, if he is happy for you to have been fly fishing while he signed you off as incapable of your normal work then I cannot see that your employer has any reason to complain?

Hi,

Your employer is perfectly entitled of making such an enquiry...

As rightly said by 'honeybee13', you should seek back-up from your GP who would certify that such activity would not be contrary to medical restraint.

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Cat's Whisker,

As far as I am aware as an ex union official, you are not supposed to engage in anything which will further prevent you earliest return to work. In other words something like rock climbimg - falling and breaking an ankle etc. If you are engaged in an activity that would help your earlier return to work , there is no problem with that. Fly fishing is a relaxing and theraputic pass-time and would help bring down your blood pressure. As an ex fisher I know that to be true. As BRB states , your employer is at liberty to investigate your activities whilst off work sick and as has been previously stated get a letter from your doctor stating that it did not prevent your earlier return to work . I would also get the doctor to state in the letter that it would have been theraputic for you. After your stroke did you have problems moving your arms etc. This would have ben gentle exercise to get all the movement back . You understand my line of thought.

By the way , whats you best catch - mine was a four and a half pound brownie, caught on a whiskey fly. Tasted lovely after barbecuing.

Best wishes - Scousegeezer.

thanks for all the replies , will get my GP contacted.

By the way , whats you best catch - mine was a four and a half pound brownie, caught on a whiskey fly. Tasted lovely after barbecuing.

Best wishes - Scousegeezer.

Scousegeezer , its a 13lb 4 rainbow had 4 fish that day for 46lbs , 9lb 6 ox brownie