• Tweets

• Shein has been linked to unethical business practices, including forced labour allegations.View the full article
    • Hi I have to agree with @unclebulgaria67 post#3 For the funding side of moving to a new area and it being private supported accommodation I would also suggest speaking to private supported accommodation provider about funding but also contact the Local Council for that area and have a chat with them about funding because if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit certain Supported Accommodation that meets a certain criteria is treated as ‘exempt accommodation’ for Housing Benefit purposes but you need to confirm this with that relevant Council in your new area especially since it is Private Supported Accommodation as each Council can have slightly different rules on this. If you have a certain medical condition look up the charities and also have a wee chat with them as they may be able to point you to different Grants to assist with moving costs and your question about funding for private supported accommodation as well.
    • Hi Just to be clear a Notice to Quit is only the very start of the Housing Association going down the Eviction route there is a long process to go. Also to be clear if you leave at the Notice to Quit date only and go to the Council claiming you are Homeless they will more than likely class you as Intentionally Homeless therefore you have no right to be given temporary housing by the Council. The only way that works is when the Court has Granted a Possession Order then you can approach the Council as Homeless with the Court Order. As for the Housing Association issuing the Notice to Quit because there investigation has proved it's not your main residence but you have witness statement to prove otherwise. From now on with the Housing Association you need to keep a very good paper trail and ensure to get free proof of posting from the post office with anything you send to them. You now need to make a Formal Complaint to the Housing Association and please amend the following to suit your needs:   Dear Sir/Madam FORMAL COMPLAINT Reference: Notice to Quit Letter Dated XX/XX/2024, Hand Delivered on XX/XX/2024 I note in your letter that you stated that the Housing Association has carried out an investigation into myself and came to the conclusion that I am not using this property as my main residence and have evidence of this and have therefore issued a 'Notice to Quit' by XX/XX/2024. I find the above actions absolutely disgraceful action by the Housing Association. 1. Why have I never been informed nor asked about this matter by my Housing Officer. 2. Why have I never been given the opportunity to defend myself before the Housing Association out of the blue Hand Delivered a Notice to Quit Letter. 3. I have evidence and witnesses/statements that prove this is my Main Residence and more than willing provide this to both the Housing Association and the Court. I now require the following: 1. Copy of your Complaints Policy (not the leaflet) 2. Copy of your Customer Care Charter (not the leaflet) 3. Copies of your Investigation into this not being my main residence.    As well as the above you need to send the Housing Association urgently a Subject Access Request (SAR) requesting 'ALL DATA' that simple phrase covers whatever format they hold that in whether it be letters, email, recorded calls etc. The Housing Association then has 30 calendar days to respond but that time limit only starts once they acknowledge your SAR Request. If they fail to respond within that time limit its then off with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).     
    • Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you The email excuse and I do say excuse to add to your account and if court decide LL can't recoup costs will be removed is a joke. So I would Ask them: Ask them to provide you with the exact terms within your Tenancy Agreement that allows them to add these Court Fees to your Account before it has been decided in Court by a Judge. Until the above is answered you require these Court Fees to be removed from your Account (Note: I will all be down to your Tenancy Agreement so have a good look through it to see what if any fees they can add to your account in these circumstances)
    • Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnoea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldn't drive i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnoea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially committing an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Swalec Arrears

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the long post, questions are at the end.

Just had my latest bills and I am in arrears which I wasn't expecting.

Gas £440

Electric £160

When I moved here approx a year ago I had no idea what the payments should be so I asked Swalec, and they set gas at £35 and electic at £25.

They want to increase my DD to £99 and £40 respectively, I don't have this sort of money.

After speaking to umpteen people, according to them my average usage is £60 and £30pm.

I had free cavity wall insulation installed a couple of months ago, via Tesco of all people so next years bills should be lower (25%?)and I can just about afford them.

Problem is what to do about the arrears, Swalecs latest proposal is to install pre-payment meters preloaded to collect £8pw. That is no different to paying the £99 for gas, and comes with its own problems.

I've been able to find some info on B Gas relating to a trust fund which might help with the arrears, does anyone know of anything similar for Swalec as it appears you have to be a customer.

As a last resort,

If I can't come to some aggreement can I change suppliers with arrears, so that they have no choice but to accept what I can afford towards the debt.

After paying Rent, C Tax and water I've got £70pw left for everything else.

Cheers

Wooks

Hi Wooks

You won't be able to change suppliers while you have an outstanding balance.

Most water authorities have a trust fund set up which you can apply to to help clear the arrears, I presume for you this would be Welsh Water?

Also if you are in receipt of benefits, Swalec should be able to offer a reduced repayment through a prepayment meter compared to the £8 per week they have suggested; in your circumstance EON would negotiate down to £3 per week per fuel towards the debt.

Hope this helps

Hi Wooks

You won't be able to change suppliers while you have an outstanding balance.

Most water authorities have a trust fund set up which you can apply to to help clear the arrears, I presume for you this would be Welsh Water?

Also if you are in receipt of benefits, Swalec should be able to offer a reduced repayment through a prepayment meter compared to the £8 per week they have suggested; in your circumstance EON would negotiate down to £3 per week per fuel towards the debt.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply, if I can't change suppliers then I may have a problem, but hopefully not.

You are correct that my water supplier is Welsh Water, I'm actually in credit by £8 with them over the year. I'm also on benefits, and paying back a loan from the Social Fund.

With the cavity wall insulation my usage should be lower, so do you have any ideas about negotiating the new DD. Is there a formula etc, sort of before and after.

I'll defintely give WW a ring tommorow:), seems strange to me that a water company can potentially help when the gas supplier can't but I'll take help where I can find it at the moment.

In the long term I'll pay my way as usual.

Obviously I'm going to have to monitor my usage more carefully, and not rely on Swalec's readings/estimates.

Cheers

Wooks

Hi,

Problem was that Swalec weren't the previous supplier and I trusted their estimated consumption. It would help if suppliers shared this information.

Obviously different people use different amounts, but even having one of those triangular keys foc would allow you to read the meter regularly.

I've had a look at WW site and the only info for arrears relates to water arrears not gas etc, so I have emailed one of the Swalec managers asking for any Trusts that they are associated with, along with the best proposal they can offer.

Once I've had a reply then I guess its ring the CAB etc, I don't want to agree to payments I can't afford and end up in even more trouble.

Cheers

Wooks

Changing supplers can be a problem.

To get the new business many utilities quote a monthly direct debit rate well below actual consumption and after the customer has congratulated himself on getting his fuel cheap they put the direct debit amount up to collect the actual usage - 'sorry about that, we undersestimated your usage'

These sales tactics are dishonest and in my view should be outlawed. It could be stopped very easily by the regulator not allowing any arrears to be collected for the first DD year - what they quote is what they get!!

Never accept that the direct debit amount quoted when changing suppliers bears any relation to your actual costs. Accept the low quote as a temporary loan but expect to pay it back with a considerably higher payment laterr. Watch that they do not carry on the new higher payment amount into the next DD year - it will be higher than it should be.

Recognise that the DD system is there for their convenience and profit. All DD payments are in advance and usually too high so the customer is lending money to them throughout the DD year. Often the cost to the customer of lending this money is more than any DD discount.

Pelham.... Is there anything you agree the energy companies do correctly or are you Victor Meldrew in disguise?

I no longer work for my previous employer, an energy company, so no longer give the the full support i used to, but in my experience direct debits were set based on consumption history available, or a reasonable estimate based on information given at the point of sale.

If as you suggest DD's were set too high so to loan the energy supplier money to aid cash flow, this would mean direct debits would be lowered after the firat year, not increased... whilst working for E.on 85% of DD's were inceased at the annual review, so I don't understand where you get your information from Pelham..

Money saving expert's martin lewis recommends paying for utilities by DD to take advantage of the discounts available... prompt payment only offers a small discount compared to DD... those who owe significant balances to credit cards generally wouldn't be able to pay in full a quarterly bill on receipt

Nottslad, it's hard for many of us to see much they do right when we've had such trouble with them. They appear to allow half their customers to build up huge debts while robbing the other half to make up the shortfall. When I cancelled my DD I went through two quarters in winter without having to pay them a penny. I did it because they refused to give me back over £800 I didn't owe them and they had taken from my bank a/c. I don't know anyone who hasn't had to fight to get their own money back in this situation.

Wooks, personally I wouldn't want to have a prepayment meter fitted. I would contact Swalec by letter offering to pay them your current usage plus what you can realistically afford on a regular basis towards the arrears. I would also produce an income and expenses form, showing them all details of your income and expenditure, sending this to them with the letter.

Then make sure you pay this amount religiously on time until the arrears has been cleared.

Is your meter inside or outside the house? If it is inside, all well and good. If it is outside, you may find Swalec fit a prepayment meter anyway because they can get access to it without your being at home.

If they threaten you with disconnection or the fitting of a prepayment meter under a warrant, let them do this. They should send you a letter in advance informing you of when the court date will be. You must make sure you attend this court case and then SWALEC will withdraw the application for a warrant as no time is set aside to argue their caes before the judge. They will then in all ikelihood, be far more amenable to negotiation.

Good luck!

Is there anything you agree the energy companies do correctly or are you Victor Meldrew in disguise?

Have you left EON?

I would think that they do about 95% of their job satisfactorily - but that part involves the nittty gritty of supplying and charging for a service. That is the easy part of their job largely done by a routine computer system. It is when there are problems that they and their computers do not cope satisfactorily.

Money saving expert's martin lewis recommends paying for utilities by DD to take advantage of the discounts available

Matin Lewis has not donr th sums!

I do not intend to debate the demerits of the DD sytem on this post. The OP has been hooked by Swalec by a ruse using a low DD payment and he cannot get out of it because of unexpected arrears. I do not suppose that EON who are the best of the bunch (in my veiw) would stoop to this strategy.

I must apologise for the debate between myself and nottslad which does not really help you though it may help when you consider a direct debit plan with another supplier.

My own view is that you have been conned by Swalec and that you have a very good case to go to the Energy Ombudsnan immediately. If you do so it is very likely to change their attitude.

You do not say in your first post how long it has taken to reach the arrears you state so I am taking it that it was one year. Have they read the meter regularly during that year? Are there any estimates?

They will have a very good idea of the previous usage in your property if supplied by them or from the previous supplier if you changed supplier on occupation. You now know that the correct DD payments should have been around 70/40 (gas /electricity) but they set it at 35/25. This was bound to lead to arrears.

They should be monitoring your consumption as a new customer with guestimate DD payments to increase the payments as quickly as possible to match your actual consumption. Clearly they have not done this. There will be many 'reasons' they could not do this. Some of them are

a) they could not get in to read the meter. (is the meter outside?!)

b) its your fault because you did not send them meter readings when they estimated as they ask you to do on the bills.

c) it is your fault because you did not look at bills they sent and question that you were paying too little.

The actual reasons are likely that they are inefficient or that they do not worry that they put you in an arrears situation because the arrears keeps you as a customer.

The net result is that you have arrears which immediately stops you from changing suppiler and allows them to threaten a prepayment meter etc.

If this situation was not purposeful and was due to inefficiency the result is the same and you should certainly get rid and they should not benefit from your predicament by keeping you as a customer particularly on a prepay meter.

You will have to pay Swalec what you owe but you should ask the Ombudsman to push for

a) an immdiate change of supplier

b) a sensible and affordable payment schedule for the arrears.

The grounds should be that Swalec have set the DD payments too low inevitably leading to the arrears. That you do not wish to stay with a company is not efficiently monitoring their DD plan and it would not be fair for them to retain you as a customer because any arrears are their fault whether caused by inefficiency or a deliberate ploy.

Incidentally Swalec show up badly on my search of the price comparison sites. You should be able to get 60/30 as suggested by others.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your replies.

Swalec have come back to me and provisionally offered to reduce payments to actual usage plus approx £3 towards arrears.

This seems to be in-line with what Nottslad suggested so I have accepted the offer, and am now waiting for someone to contact me. It avoids the prepayment meter option which was a big concern for me.

I've got cruciate ligament problems and can't always get to the shop.

Assuming all goes well I'm then going to contact CAB about the arrears to see if they know of a Trust Fund etc. They will need to know the true position if they are to help, and I've got a couple of weeks before the next payment is due.

I'll never know why my payments were set too low but its been very stressful getting it sorted out. I'm on a social tarrif so they know I don't have any money, and yet they still went ahead and practically trebled my gas bill.

Cheers

Wooks