Interest accruing on Deposit/Bond

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a quick question. I'm about to sign for a tenancy on a cottage, and in the agreement it states that any interest that accrues on the bond belong to the 'agent' (I'm assuming the letting agent). Is this correct? I was under the impression that the interest was also repaid to the tenant at the end of the tenancy?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Thanks Aequitus - by saying it's neither correct nor incorrect, am I right in thinking there's no legislation stating what should happen, but it's not unusual for the agent to take the interest?

Thanks Aequitus - by saying it's neither correct nor incorrect, am I right in thinking there's no legislation stating what should happen, but it's not unusual for the agent to take the interest?

Yes.

That's very true Planner, but I'm planning on staying in this property for some considerable time, it would be nice if my £750 had an equivalent value when I did eventually get it back. Can't have everything I guess. :-)

That's very true Planner, but I'm planning on staying in this property for some considerable time, it would be nice if my £750 had an equivalent value when I did eventually get it back. Can't have everything I guess. :-)
If it makes you any happier - most agents ues "MyDeposits" or "TDS" which are insurance based schemes and they have to pay around £15 per year per deposit. The amount varies depending on the amount and the agents size and claim history.

- unlike my Mum's; her landlord still hasn't protected hers 15 months after taking out the tenancy. :(

Then she should get it protected or refunded - this letter has worked for several people:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/residential-commercial-lettings/232265-trouble-landlord-deposit.html#post2576374