style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So far as I know there is no such thing as being able to "register" an address. Some landlords too clever for their own good think that if they have all their post sent to a property they rent out it will stop them having to pay capital gains tax on a sale. If for some legal purpose you need to be permanently residing somewhere then pretending will not do.

Hi all, just a real quick question i need answering...

Can a landlord own a property and be "registered as living at the property" although they have no intention of living in it and are living elsewhere...?

(Does that make sense to anyone..?) :confused:

As Aequitas said, there is no such thing as registered address.

However, this depends on the context of the query.

Who has the landlord stated that he is living in the property to, and for what purpose?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Right, i'll try to explain...

We tried the land registry to see where the landlord of the house next door lived due to constant anti-social behaviour, (we contacted local council and they would not do much, we kept records of details etc, and did everything "by the book")

When we pulled up the details it showed that the landlord was living at the address next door, we knew they had no intention of living at the property and live in a town 20 or so miles away, so contacting them about the neighbours has been very difficult to say the least.

I was just wondering how we could find out the address of the landlord so i could complain in writing to them, even though i presume all mail addressed to them goes to the house next door..?

That is very standard to be honest.

I cant see any other way of tracing them...

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Thanks Mr Shed for the reply. Although not what i wanted to see but it is an answer, (thanks! hee hee) anyways, we are finding it very hard to contact them due to the constant ASB, i did see them a while ago and let them know that if i had troubles with the neighbours again i would be calling "them" as i presume they are responsible for their tenants?

Oh just to note, since i told them i would contact them personally they have changed their mobile number so i can't let them hear the constant boom boom of the music player at silly hours of the morning i have been recording on my lil' old mobile phone

They arent really responsible from a noise perspective to be honest.

This should be dealt with via Environmental Health...

Well the noise is just one of the problems we are facing, there are numerous others including drain pipe problems, fencing issues and right of way issues also...sadly the list does go on and on....

If the call is at 3am every day for a month then probably :) .

I always welcomed calls from neighbours, as it made keeping an eye on properties / tenants / squatters a little easier, sometimes.

But I take it the landlord gave you his number, perhaps, and that there is a reasonable, sensible purpose to call the landlord?

Edited by NewSAHD
retyped

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

Thanks "New" for the reply.

Well that is what we had thought, the landlord has owned the property for a number of years now and we were quite friendly with them, the previous tenants moved out and we watched the property for a year as they could not find tenants. We called them up on occasion to let them know the post was building up, grass was quite long and that the down dipe needed fixing on their side. All went well...

Until they found new tenants for the property, the 1st day we heard boom boom music and it went on for quite some time, amongst other things it was plain to see the new tenants had no regard to either their neighbours or the landlord. It accumilated in our 1st ever call to the Police with regards to the behaviour.

I called the landlord up twice to let them know that i had done so and that i feel that they should be informed of what i had done and the nusiance the new neighbours.

I then receive a call from the landlord telling me if i call him again that he will report me to the police himself for harrassment!

I was under the impression that a landlord is partially responsible for their tenants and possibly their actions...?

On the whole, landlords are not responsible for any legal nuisance created by their tenants. The exceptions are if the landlord actively encourages the nuisance or lets the property for a purpose which will of necessity involve nuisance. I should mention that a recent case, the facts of which are not clear, does though suggest that there comes a point where the landlord must take action.

Your remedy is to take the matter up with the local authority.

If you simply informed the landlord of the matter and did so in a civilised manner I cannot see how that can amount to harassment.

Hi thanks for all your repies, i have made several logs of the nuisance caused by the neighbours in which i will be sending to the local authorities, i have a crime reference number also, in which the landlord is not at all interested in.

I called only twice to let him know of the situation and when he called back i got a very abusive and agressive return call from him. (this is the thanks i get for looking after his house for a whole year as well!)

With regards to the post about landlords taking action, i have a recorded message (and the landlord was told prior to me recording) in which he states he "does not want to know what the tenants are doing" and that if i "call him again he will call the police about me for harasssing him".

I really do not want to take things into my own hands, but i doubt he will like it if i turned up at his house every time there is an incident regarding his tenants!

As for your last sentance Super, i have only called 2 times and he accuses me of harrssment. Sadly he does not have to live in the house next door to the people he is renting the house to, and i doubt that he would.

Likewise for me with my landlord everything has to be written down dates, times and what it was that he was doing.

I am not surprised anymore by the way people disrespect each other to be honest but it is not nice to be accuses of something which is in anyway shape or form a classification of harassment. After all you were doing him a favour and now he ignores anything you have to say.

I would contact your local council or the citizen advice bureaux to seek further help on this matter.

Well that is our next plan of action, if he chooses to ignore us i am sure he will think twice when he received letters from the local council and police regaqrding his nuisnace tenants!

I might even throw the harrassment card on him with regards to the abusive phone call i received from him yesterday, see how that pans out.

After all i want to live in peace and for the last 9 years i have not been able to do so and we have just sat back and sucked it up, but over the last few months it has become unbearable, i do not like causing problems, but if they won't even address a situation what am i to do?

I totally agree with you about living in peace and this is something that my landlord does not do at all. Keep all the records you have as you may want to take him to court....the police will do nothing unless he harms you.

Unfortunately the police see this as a civil matter and will not help unless he was to physically do you harm.

I do not like problems either but there are some people who make matters worse for themselves by being constant harassers and bullies.

Who will not address a situation?

To clarify Tenants, we are local council tenants, the landlord owns the house next door and subsequently letting it out, i have been firm and fair with the landlord stating i will not accept or tolerate nusiance behaviour from his tenants, but he seems to be not at all interested with what is going on in his own property. I have informed him that the local police and council have been informed and he is "trying" to scare me off with using this "if i call again i will sue for harassment" nonsense.

What are the issues? Is it "just" noise?

There are some instances where the landlord is obliged to deal with complaints - one example, and it is a bit extreme, is where the tenant is thought to be operating a knocking shop.

(I would add that I only know about this from my experience as an Agent, having had to deal with this problem on a couple of occasions :eek:!)

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

Hi again NEW, sadly noise is just one of many issues we are facing, lets just say, doggy poop being thrown into our garden along with general rubbish, footballs, cigarette butts, pretty much anything you can imagine just to upset us and the real sad thing is the new tenants haven't been in for 4 months yet but when i called the landlord he just simply was not interested and threatened me over the phone with the whole "harrassment" issue, but was quite willing for me to look after his house for him whilst he found new tenants! Nice huh?

That's...just...grim :mad:

I'm sure I'm turning in to a Daily Mail reader (no offence to Daily Mail readers), but what's wrong with people nowadays?

Can't quite believe what I'm thinking - put it down to being out too long in the sun today with the kids :) - but I'd even go so far to consider having a hidden camcorder discretely filming the gardens 24/7, front and back, from an upper window - if money will allow.

As for the Landlord, what an ungrateful... person.

Again, personally would draft him a letter setting out your concerns - and copy it to Environmental Health, local Community Police Officers and so on. Do it in such a way that anyone reading the letter some months from now will think 'reasonable chap' and not 'curtain twitcher'.

Not that I'm suggesting you are the latter. I hope it's clear that I would not be posting a message to you if I didn't feel for the horrible situation you currently find yourself in.

I'm more than happy to help you draft it too ;), just let us know.

PM me if you prefer. Anything you mention in PM's will only be used to help you and I undertake not to release any information without your prior consent.

My experience of CPO's has been mixed, but one particular Sgt and two of his PC's were superb in helping discuss and tackle antisocial / "unneighbourly" issues on a difficult, large-ish managed site not so long ago.

Life is too short to worry about these idiots (landlord and tenant alike), so, for whatever it is worth, don't let them get you down. On the other hand, life is too short not to worry about these idiots too, so maybe some well placed righteous indignation is what's needed?

Above all, keep it sensible, safe and discrete though - nothing rash - and document it in such a way that it doesn't have to take up too much time or worry either. They're just not worth the bother.

Most of the time I try to advocate a pragmatic approach, so may well come back and heavily edit/remove this message ;).

For the time being please accept it in the spirit it was ended though!

Quick question, is it classed as harrassment to the landlord if i call them with regards to their tenants who live next door?

Sounds like you LL only intrested in one thing £££££££££

Have a read of this What Constitutes Noise Pollution? - Problem Neighbours (UK) keep a record of all the noises they are making

Contact your local council Environmental Health Department for adivce,in extreme cases they can get a court order and confiscate,stereo's pc's and so on from Neighbours from Hell?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...