Sports world question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I bought a jacket from sports world max 6 months ago. I do not wear it every day and it is in very good condition.

Yesterday i noticed the stitching on the back is coming apart quite a bit leaving the jacket unable to wear, it has not been ripped.

Now my problem is, I do not have the recipt anymore. I am not after a refund just an exchange. I have read about sports world being a bit of a pain when it comes to refunds/exchanges so would like to have the info before I head down to the shop.

Many thanks in advance

There is no requirement that you have a receipt to be able to return faulty goods.

All you have to be able to do is prove you bought that item from that seller. As the coat is an own-brand, it would be clear that you did.

However, the date you bought the coat is also important. If the coat was clearly one of the store's recent designs, you should have a strong argument to say it wasn't of satisfactory quality, and be entitled to a refund, replacement or repair.

If the coat was of a design that the store had sold for years, you may also need a credit card or bank statement that with the purchase on it to show the store when you bought it.

I took the jacket back but as i had no reciept the sales assistant said there was nothing she could do. I tried to explain all i wanted was an exchange not a refund but she was having non of it and was handed head office's phone number.

I got in touch with head office and was told exactly the same thing, even my husband tried but still the same answer.

So now i am stuck. What do you think my next move should be?? I will be fighting this as far as I can.

Hi Nick , i found this on the Citizen`s Advice Bureau`s website , hope it helps .

If there is something wrong with your goods and you aren't entitled to, or don't want to get a full refund, you can ask the trader to either repair or replace them for free instead. You might not be able to get a full refund if, perhaps, you had the goods for too long before realising there was a problem, or before the problem became obvious.

If you take the goods back within six months of buying them, the trader must accept that they were faulty at the time of sale and offer to repair or replace them. If the trader doesn't accept that the goods were faulty, they will have to prove this.

If you have had your goods for more than six months when they go wrong, you can still ask the trader to repair or replace them, but you may have to prove that they were faulty when you bought them if the trader doesn't agree. You can ask for a repair or replacement at any time up to six years after you bought the goods (five years in Scotland), as long as it is reasonable for them to have lasted this long. If the goods go wrong after six years (or five in Scotland), you no longer have the right to ask for a repair or replacement.

If the trader agrees to carry out a repair or provide a replacement, they must do this within a reasonable period of time, and without causing you any significant inconvenience. If you ask the trader for a repair but this turns out to be impractical or to be too expensive, the trader doesn't have to repair your goods, but you can choose to have a replacement instead. In the same way, if you have asked the trader to replace your goods and this turns out to be impractical or too expensive, the trader doesn't have to replace them, but you can choose to have a repair instead.

If neither repair or replacement is practical, you can ask to get some or all of your money back. You can also ask to get some or all of your money back if:

• replacing or repairing the goods would cost more than giving you some or all of your money back, or
  • the trader did not replace or repair the goods within a reasonable period of time, or
  • the trader was not able to repair or replace the goods without causing you significant inconvenience.

How much money you can get back will depend on how much use you have had out of the goods. You will probably only be able to get some of your money back if:-

• the goods had worked for some time before they went wrong, or
  • they still work but their appearance has got worse, or
  • only one of their functions has failed.

However, if you have been able to get no, or little use out of the goods, and/or repairs have been unsuccessful, then you will probably be able to give back the goods and get all of your money back

Many thanks for taking the time to look in to this for me.

It doesn't mention anything about reciepts unfortunatly. A friend of mine advised me to ring consumer direct which I have just done. The lady I spoke to said by law the company does not have to replace as I cannot prove I bought the jacket from the store. I feel a bit annoyed as the jacket has only lasted less then 6 months, but as there is nothing I can do about it im just going to throw it in the bin.

• 3 weeks later...