Someone wants to work less hours, so i am getting their work!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, any advice please.

I work in an accounts department, and the receptionist in another department wants to work less hours, she wants to take Friday afternoons off unpaid - Now that in it self is fine. BUT, her boss wants me to cover for her on the Friday afternoons on a rota basis with someone else! My work wont be covered, So my work will pile up and I will have to work harder and faster to try to keep up.

Can they make me do this? :confused:

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Weeze. Do you have a contract or particulars of employment? If you do, does it cover this situation? That kind of detail can help us to advise you.

Do you report to the receptionist's boss or someone else please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB,

In my contract it says "and adoc duties as required". But I report to the Financial Controller and she comes under the Marketing Director.

Does that make a difference?

Many thanks

I'd have to think about this, but have you discussed this with your immediate boss? I think it would help to make her aware of your concerns, if you haven't already. I assume the other department manager has asked your boss, out of courtesy?

If you can sort this out before it gets to complaining and so on, it could be easier.

HB

Hi HB,

My boss is going to talk to hers in the morning. But I think it will then go to the MD, hes the one who had to give the ok for her having the afternoons off. And he can be a really nasty man, and does not like people going against him. So I am expecting to be called in and have the usual tantrums and slamming of fists on the desk.

My boss is on my side, but will back down to the MD.

That's difficult, isn't it Weeze? I hope someone with more knowledge than me will come along and comment.

It's worth noting that being ranted and sworn at and feeling threatened can be a form of victimisation.

Is this a big company, or is the MD the head honcho?

Hi HB,

Its a really big company, but what the MD says go's. I have had a big run in with him in the past, which ended up with me going home for three days - i didnt know what else to do then, I just couldnt stay there. At that time he wanted me to create a job out of thin air for his friends daughter. And then had major tantrum when I said I couldnt, told me I wasn't being fair and that if I didnt go away and change my mind, my daughter who had a part time job here would have to go. I didnt back down so my daughter went - This is the type of person I will be up against.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me HB, I just hope I can get this sorted.

Hi...

As 'honeybee13' justly said, it is all down to your statement of particulars of employment... and the clause bearing mention of 'ad hoc duties as required'... but you should talk to either your line manager or HR department about whom will be in charge, then, of your own workload!

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Thanks to you both for the advice. I will dig out my contract and scan it properly.

I am also thinking of going along the lines, that if they think I dont need to do my job on a Friday afternoon, why can't I take the afternoon off too. And then when they say no, ask why they are discriminating against me, if her jobs needed and shes allowed the time off.

Just a thought, I will see how it goes.

Thanks again for the advice and to everyone for taking the time to read my problem.

I will keep you updated.

No problems... 'Weeze'... Sounds more like bullying than discrimination though...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.