Traffic Magistrates fine, now warrent for arrest??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A while ago I was issued with a fixed penalty notice by the police for £30.

I sent a cheque off but it arrived late, and the matter was passed to a debt collection company, Phillips in Darlington.

The amount I owed was suddenly increased to £100, and so on and so on.

Being a stubborn yorkshireman, I refused to pay such an amount for the initial £30 fine but now the figure stands at £245 and I have received a letter saying that the court (Sheffield Magistrates) MAY shortly be considering issuing a warrant for my arrest.

Unless the full payment is paid within 48 hours, they may return this distress warrant to the court so they can issue a warrant for my arrest.

Could I really be arrested over such a small amount???

This is very clever wording from the Bailiff Company to scare you. It says a Warrant "could" be issued for your arrest, not "will" be.

It's worth remembering that the prisons are severly overcrowded, so it's rather unlikely that any Judge is going to opt for imprisonment unless there is no alternative.

It's unlikley that the Court will speak to you whilst the Bailiff has your file (unless you fall into a vulnerable group), so you'll probably be forced into negotiating a repayment plan with the Bailiff Company

Someone will be along shortly to give you proper advice :)

I had issues with Philips not so long ago.I'm betting that the letter you refer to came from them.It's one of the many scare tactics used by them.You don't say if the cheque was banked or returned to you.You could try contacting the court, explain your circumstances, and offer payment then.

Philips tried it on with my ex's son.He had over £200 charges added on by them. With the advice received on here, the court took the warrant back and the lad only had the original fine to pay.He was classed as a 'vulnerable person' though. Philips were p****d off, as they weren't able to collect their ridiculous fees.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards

Signaller

A while ago I was issued with a fixed penalty notice by the police for £30.

I sent a cheque off but it arrived late, and the matter was passed to a debt collection company, Phillips in Darlington.

The amount I owed was suddenly increased to £100, and so on and so on.

Being a stubborn yorkshireman, I refused to pay such an amount for the initial £30 fine but now the figure stands at £245 and I have received a letter saying that the court (Sheffield Magistrates) MAY shortly be considering issuing a warrant for my arrest.

Unless the full payment is paid within 48 hours, they may return this distress warrant to the court so they can issue a warrant for my arrest.

Could I really be arrested over such a small amount???

If the debt does get passed back to the court then you can simply pay the amount of the fine. Bailiff fees cannot be applied once returned.

The cheque was returned with a letter saying the matter had been passed onto a debt collector.

The threat of warrant of arrest came from the debt collector.

How do I contact the court?

I probably am stupid for ignoring the debt letters in all honesty.

The cheque was returned with a letter saying the matter had been passed onto a debt collector.

The threat of warrant of arrest came from the debt collector.

How do I contact the court?

You can try by phone or letter but will probably receive the same reply your cheque did, unless there are any special circumstances involved.

I probably am stupid for ignoring the debt letters in all honesty.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]