BT prices.

tom a
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My pensioner mum has a BT land line and her monthly rental as just gone up to £12.79.

Her call charges are roughly £25 a quarter.

I rang BT to try and get a cheaper tariff but they say that's the best they can do.

Can anyone give advice how we can get it cheaper for her ?

Tried to get her to have a mobile but she's not into technology.

Thanks in advance.

The cheapest option *might* be something like this:

LUPO Big Button GSM Mobile Phone - SIM FREE*: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

At least the large buttons mean it more closely resembles a landline telephone. If I remember rightly, Tesco and Asda PAYG SIM cards are the cheapest for calls - depending of course on the numbers you're calling (presume landlines)

Other providers might be cheaper but that usually means being tied into something else (e.g. Sky TV, broadband as well) as a package.

For landline only, this price seems about normal. Landlines are getting more expensive these days.

Since BT dumped all those on the Low User tariff last year - it has meant a nearly 300% increase in costs if there is nobody in the household that can sign up to the BT Basic 'social' tariff. This also requires you give BT permission to check with DWP that you are in receipt of certain benefits.

If this is the case, it is a good compromise - but failing that, and if a low user - Mark's idea of a GSM phone using a mobile network is quite good if her usage is really low. The downside is that it costs callers the mobile rate to contact it. (Tesco also do a similar one for £18.99). Or ther are phones that LOOK like a normal household phone, but take a SIM card and only connect to the mains.

That's great news. It's no big secret but they do forget that certain groups of people can use the tariff (although they do discriminate) pensioners who put enough money away to have their own pension are denied access to it, which I find disgraceful - but I'm glad it worked out for you!