• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCJ from Dairy Crest - Help Needed Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We received the CCJ pack from Banbury County Court recently in regards to an unpaid bill of £105 from Dairy Crest for the delivery of milk.

The claim form had additional charges etc. from the court and solicitor and the fun they were asking me to pay has increased to £188.88, I accepted the claim for returned it back to the claimant saying that I accepted the claim however I wanted time to pay. This form was sent back within 7 days of original receipt.

Yesterday, I received a letter from Banbury County Court telling me that as I had not responded, I was to pay the full amount within 14 days and the claim has been awarded to the claimant. This letter was dates the 16/02/2010.

Today, we have received the warrant of execution which is dated the 17/02 and says that unless I now pay £313.00 by the 23rd Feb then a Baliff will call and remove good for public sale...

I contacted Banbury court who said that I needed to speak to Dairy Crests solicitors in order to find out where the claim for I submitted was. I have done this as the lady at Brethertons said that I should have returned the form back to then, I advised her that there was a notice in the original claim pack telling me to return the completed admission for back to the claimant address which was Diary Crests HQ. She said this was wrong however she would speak to Dairy Crest to see if they have recieved it.

Phew !!

what can I do? the original debt was £102 and its now increased to £313 and there is a threat of baliffs unless I pay the full amount by the 23/02 which there is no ways that I can do.

I work during the day and I am worried that if Baliffs do turn up that my wife and kids will be in and they will somehow "gain" entry into the house whilst I am not here.

Can someone give me some advise please?

Thanks

:(

Hi there

I think you should have paid the Court - but in any case did you send by registered letter / recorded delivery your acknowlegement.

If you did and haven't received a reply I think you've got a decent "In dispute" thing going here.

DO NOT LET THESE BAILIFF'S IN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

You've offered 188 GBP (IMO the CCJ was for less --you only really have to pay the CCJ amount plus court costs --solicitors fees ARE NOT ALLOWED - I challenged Yorkshire Water on a 50 GBP Solicitors fee which they waived immediately).

I'd also write to the court explaining what's happened -- I don't know what to do next -- but you need to pay the amount you've offered to somebody --KEEP RECORDED DELIVERY / RECEIPTS.

DO NOT SPEAK OR HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE BAILIFF

In any case I don't think sufficient time has elapsed from a CCJ to getting it enforced in any case --you've got 28 days after judgement to pay it if you want the record removed.

Actually using the County Court mechanism for what might be really small amounts of debt - in comparison to things like Credit card deliquent accounts of several thousand pounds just shows how desperate firms have become.

Most Dairies would have allowed you to pay off the arreas over time -- well without wanting to seem facetious --get your milk from the Supermarket next time.

Again DO NOT LET THE BAILIFF IN. EVER.

Cheers

jimbo

Hi there

This apparently was a CCJ and it seems that 28 days hasn't passed from the CCJ hearing in which case enforcement is certainly NOT allowed.

Before any type of Court Bailiff action takes place ANOTHER COURT ENFORCEMENT hearing action has to take place.

Something about this whole episode doesn't seem quite correct -- in any case it would seem a bit overkill whichever way you look at it to use Bailiff's for a bill of just over 100 GBP.

The Court even gave you 14 days -- add that to 16 Feb brings you into March and if you haven't paid then they still have to go through the enforcement procedure.

Sounds either like a Bailiff "Phishing" trip or someone's Sols are pulling their luck.

If the COURT gave you 14 days on the 16th how can ANYONE get a warrant of execution on the 17th -- BEFORE the judgement period has expired -- this makes a TOTAL MOCKERY out of the whole system --something DEFINITELY is NOT CORRECT HERE.

Check please -

1) Date of CCJ

2) Dates of any further hearing for non payment

3) Enforcement notice papers

4) recept from creditor acknowleging your offer of payment.

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45

Hi, there are the dates etc from the paperwork

1) claim for issued in Banbury court on 27/01/2010 for £108.53 + £30 Court Fee + £50 solicitors - total of £188.53

2) paperwork sent back to the claimant on 07/02/2010 via first class postage saying that I accept the amount and wanted to make an offer to pay £20 PM

3) Judgment for claimant (in default) recieved dated the 15/02/2010 saying that I had to pay the claimant the sun of £108.94 + £102 in costs (£210.94)

4) Notice of issue of warrant of execution issued on the 16/02/2010 saying that I have not paid the judgement as ordered and that the claimant has asked for a warrant to be issued to the baliff to seize and sell my goods, unless I pay the amount due to the county court before 23/02 the baliff will call and may remove my goods. This will mean I have to pay further costs.

Total to pay including fees on the warrant (£313.19)

what are your thoughts?

Thanks

quick update, I have just spoken to Brethertons who are the claimants solicitors, they said that I should have sent the claim form back to them directly not to directly to the claimant as the instructions suggest..

The person also said that she would contact Dairy Crest as they need to get sign of the acceptance form in order to consider a payment offer and that I should contact the baliffs myself and tell me that the judgement is indispute and to no come to my house.................hmmmm.

the person said that is she needed to baliffs to confirm this then they would be ok to contact her directly.

is this making sense?

I also mentioned that there was supposed to be a judgement period of 14 however she said that this did not apply as the claim form award used the word forthwith (probably spelt wrong)

any advise would be great.

Thanks

I think you'll find someone has been slightly economical with the truth. When you returned your Response back it should have been sent to the Court. As far as the Court were then concerned you had filed no defence etc and were found "guilty" by Default - the Claimant being awarded what they asked for.

The Claimant has known very well what you have done but have kept quiet - after all it is in their benefit for you to be adjudged against. For this very reason I wouldn't have anything else to do with them but would go back to the Court for further help and advice.

You could apply for Set Aside on the grounds you returned the Forms to the Claimant and not the Court. All this does however is to return you to where you are now. I think if I were you you I would file Form N245 instead which is an application for Suspension of a Warrant/Variation of an Order, this will allow you to try to put an instalment plan in operation but please note you have to submit Income/Expenditure and make an offer but remember the Court could overrule this and stipulate what you have to pay. You can also apply to suspend the Warrant as well.

The form is available on the HMCS website, I can't remember the fee but you may apply for fee remission on Form EX160 also available on the Court website.

My reasons for suggesting this route is that your Claimant failed to inform you that you had supplied the Court documents to them and also what other charges are they now likely to saddle you with. The Court will make a fair decision. Please remember a CCJ stays on your file for 6 years and affects Lenders if you apply for Credit.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A little extra info on your CCJ and what it may mean.

Once awarded against you the CCJ will remain in place for 6 years when it automatically falls off - unless of course you haven't paid it off. Lenders look at your Credit History when deciding if they will lend you any cash or HP goods etc - chances are you will be refused. If you can pay within 28 days/1 month then you may apply to have it removed altogether so it doesn't exist. After this time and you have cleared it you can get a Certificate of Satisfaction which will then be noted on your Credit file ie the CCJ still shows but as paid in full.

As the debt does not appear to be a large one it may be in your best interests to be able to pay it off within the first month & thus have the CCJ wiped from your record.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

just a little update that I wanted to share with everyone.

I received a letter this morning saying that the claimant has accepted the payment plan I put together on the admission form which I return to them and that the baliff has been asked to suspend the warrant.

I am still being told that I need to pay £313.19.... is this right as this apparently included baliff charges of over £100 even though no baliff will be needed?

I get the feeling that the claimants solicitors are trying to pull a fast one here as they are asking me to send payments directly to them as apposed to the claimant.

is this right or very wrong?

Thanks

Hi all

WHAT A STINKING mess -- charges of MORE than the original debt -- and I thought "Loan Sharking" was illegal.

You've offered to pay the CCJ -- IMO pay what the CCJ has requested and tell the otherrs TO GET LOST. There certainly hasn't been enough time after CCJ to get a warrant of execution -- and for such a small amount of money too.

What a Country we are becoming --saddling people who can usually LEAST afford to pay them with HUGE charges for relatively TINY amounts of debt and using the whole weight of the County Court system to enforce it while Bankers who miked the country DRY are enjoying almost OBSCENE amounts of money AT THE TAXPAYERS EXPENSE too.

I've been thinking for some time that It's definitely time I was "Out of here".

As soon as the Housing Market picks up a bit I'm selling and emigrating -- even Russsia is probably a better bet at the moment.

Cheers

jimbo

• Haha 1

thanks for the reply, in regards to the time between having the receiving the judgement in default and then the warrant of execution, it would have been inpossible to pay the amount on time even if I had the money in the first place..24 hours..

this is what I don't understand, when I asked the claimant solicitors about this they said that the a warrant of execution can be actioned at any time and does not have to wait a set amount of time, apparently the use of the word "forthwith" covers this.... (my middle English is a little rusty)

I am penning a letter back to Brethertons asking for a breakdown of all the charges however is there anything that I need to say or not say?

Thanks

just a little update that I wanted to share with everyone.

I received a letter this morning saying that the claimant has accepted the payment plan I put together on the admission form which I return to them and that the baliff has been asked to suspend the warrant.

I am still being told that I need to pay £313.19.... is this right as this apparently included baliff charges of over £100 even though no baliff will be needed?

I get the feeling that the claimants solicitors are trying to pull a fast one here as they are asking me to send payments directly to them as apposed to the claimant.

is this right or very wrong?

Thanks

Read post No 9, the solicitors are ripping you off.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Read post No 9, the solicitors are ripping you off.

PT

how do I stop them ripping me off? what would I need to do or say either verbal or written?

sorry to ask so many questions, can I request a full breakdown of charges etc and then hope that they will realise that I am checking the legitimacy of them.

Asking for a breakdown of charges will do you no good as they have already listed them on the CCJ you got, the Bailiff charges are on top of this which is why we get to over £300+.

Because of what happened with your original Court docs you really should go back to the Court and explain. The chance are you will then only have the original CCJ costs to pay and a payment plan set by the Court. In my view it is Form N245 you need.

I believe the Claimants solicitor now knows they cocked this up and are trying to cover their own back. They knew full well you had returned the docs to the wrong place but never said a thing.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]