Suspicious way of eviction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The situation is as follows:

My friend has been renting a room in a house with several other unrelated tenants.

Noone has a written agreement with the Landlord.

My friend pays his rent on a weekly basis and has 2 weeks deposit (the Landlord didn't protect deposits of any of the tenants).

A guy representing the Landlord comes every week and collects the rent money from the tenants.

Lately the Landlord decided to evict everybody and sent an SMS to everyone saying they must move out in 2 week's time.

My friend doubts that he'll be able to find a proper place during such a short period of time.

So, how he can object to the Landlord's decision?

What notice should the Landlord have sent instead of those funny SMSs?

And how long has he lived there?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

The notice needs to be 2 months, as a Section 21 notice, in writing.

Needless to say, the notice is NOT valid.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

The notice needs to be 2 months, as a Section 21 notice, in writing.

Needless to say, the notice is NOT valid.

Thanks. How many other people? I'm trying to work out what the total annual rent is because it might change things if it's more than £25,000

Thank you!(glad to see you here as well:))

I got your point.

My friend told me that the LL says he has the AST in written form and my friend's name is listed in the agreement.

I don't know yet what kind of agreement is that, but my friend definetely didn't sign any agreement and has never seen it.

I'll keep you updated as soon as I get more information.

Did you all move in at the same time, or differing times?

Seperate TAs then so no concerns over rental levels.

My point above still stands :)

What is the way then to evict them legally if they always pay their rent on time?

Oh, as my friend just told me, the LL says that he has the written agreement (my friend is listed in it) ending on 31 of march...

That's really funny, coz my friend says that he never ever signed any agreement with the LL:D

Even if he has an agreement "ending on 31 of march" that doesn't help the landlord. The date is the end of the fixed term, not the end of the tenancy. Tenants do not have to leave at the end of the fixed term unless served with a valid Section 21 notice. A valid Section 21 notice cannot be served because the deposit is not protected.

If your paying weekly rent does your friend have a rent payment book too? Going to make some assumptions that the LL will not like you refusing to move, as such I would let the Council know of his intentions. If a rent book has not been provided then demand one, if he refuses again report this to the council, he can be liable for a £2500 fine.

He might change his mind on kicking his tenants out if all of them make similar complaints with regards to TDS and no rent book + illegal eviction. (£720 fine per TDS infraction, £2500 for non compliance in rent books for weekly rent, he could be looking at about £5000 worth of fines)

I would suggest finding another property asap however, as I wouldn't trust the LL at this property.

Edited by blitz

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.