poor shower facilities

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

this is a relatively small problem but annoying all the same. I recently moved into a flat that has bathroom with overbath shower & an en-suite shower room. The water pressure is very low in the bathroom so the shower there is very poor, it also take the WC 20 minutes to fill up. I asked the landlord but he replied that i should either use the bath instead or use the en-suite shower. I prefer a shower especially when in a rush so the first option doesn't suit me, there is no heating in the en-suite shower room so that doesn't suit either. I asked a plumber & he said it needs an electric pump costing £450. Landlord won't pay this. I took the flat expecting to be able to use a hot shower, but do i have any real grounds against the landlord ?

thanks for any advice

John

I'm afraid not. Property effectively sold "as seen".

A responsible landlord would resolve the issue, but there is no obligation to do so.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks for replying, yes have a one year contract from last Nov. There are other problems, central heating takes ages to warm up as well. Is it best to contact the agents or landlord direct. I guess a letter would only appeal to his better nature, but not sure he has one !

John

Thanks for replying, yes have a one year contract from last Nov. There are other problems, central heating takes ages to warm up as well. Is it best to contact the agents or landlord direct. I guess a letter would only appeal to his better nature, but not sure he has one !

John

S11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 requires the landlord to "keep in repair and proper working order the" central heating. Might be a bargaining tool when communicating with the landlord

Guys, not to be a naysayer, but the facilities arent faulty - just poor.

No obligation on the landlord to resolve, as it isnt disrepair.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Guys, not to be a naysayer, but the facilities arent faulty - just poor.

No obligation on the landlord to resolve, as it isnt disrepair.

Well, so far as the heating is concerned, neither of us is in a position to make that decision. Maybe if the OP could find out the central heatings expected performance (say email manufacturer) then he would be in a position to identify if it was in 'proper working order'. Edited by Snorkerz

No of course we arent, but we have to make an implication from what has been said, and that implication is that the services work, but not as modern and as well as the OP would like.

I'm on slightly shakier ground now, but I doubt that the law will class the central heatings expected performance, and if it lives up to it, as the definition of "proper working order".

"Proper working order" will be whether the central heating system performs the task intended - i.e. does it successfully provide central heating.

It will not go down to saying it should heat a house in X time. Apart from anything else that is completely variable depending on system and house.

I must admit, that thought had crossed my mind as well :)

OP - have you received a gas safety certificate off the landlord yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry i have been away, thanks for all the replies.

Yes i was given a gas certificate. The heating does work, but takes a long time to heat properly.

New problem, downstairs neighbour says water dripping from my flat into his. I have given him my landlords details. Could there be a health & safety angle now as leaking water could potentially cause a real problem. Is it worth trying to involve local council?

John

Sorry i have been away, thanks for all the replies.

Yes i was given a gas certificate. The heating does work, but takes a long time to heat properly.

New problem, downstairs neighbour says water dripping from my flat into his. I have given him my landlords details. Could there be a health & safety angle now as leaking water could potentially cause a real problem. Is it worth trying to involve local council?

John

I guess if your neighbour from downstairs sues your landlord, he will have to react and fix the water dripping issue.

Regards

Ann

Edited by cerberusalert