Letting agency charge me for references

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4824 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

G.Morning

I moving in to the new flat,letting agency Fry&Kent want charge me for a suplly references for my new landlord 25£+VAT,they right?I think they want take my money for nothing(is no information abaut this fee in tenacy agreement).Now agency put the property on a market lots of vivers come in I got idea to send on the end my tennacy to the letting agency bill 25£+VAT for every viev apoitment :cool: for thysome reason like they charge me for references...Any idea how sorted thys out?

Edited by robroy1974

I think it's standard practise for letting agents to charge for credit checks and obtaining references. I have just been down to an estate agents myself this morning, who are going to charge me £50 for credit check and references. The agency I'm with at the moment charged me £143 for the same thing, so I think £25 is really quite reasonable. Unfortunately, I can't advise on the situation with the property being on the market. Did the agents make you aware that the property was being let, but also going on the market?

Sorry I can't be more help. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon to advise. But as I said, £25 is much much cheaper than many other letting agencies charge. :)

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

thanks for quick response,I know 25£ it is not much money but I ready spend 300£ for fee in new letting agency and my old one charged me enought.So I think send bill to letting a. for every one vivers in my flat its a good idea for a reason I ready paid my rent and vievers is not including in my ageement.:) And why I shuld care abaut agency and potential new tenants.For real tenans have no rights for anything but lettings agents and landlords can expect from you what tey want....

When you paid £300 to the letting agency that found you this flat, that should have included the referencing fee - it normally does. You need to check what you signed with the agency.

It won't be shown on your tenancy agreement because that is a contract between you and the landlord (even though the agency may have signed it on his behalf).

You have no right to charge for viewings. HOWEVER, you do have a right to refuse viewings in the area that you rent (whole flat? room in flat?). If you google the phrase "quiet enjoyment" you'll get the idea.

What might work is to have a chat with the landlord (not agent) and see if he will get the agency to refund the reference fee in exchange for you allowing REASONABLE viewings.

If you do not know the landlords details - write to the agency for them, they have to provide them within 21 days under section 1 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985.

Thanks for advice,this is 1bedroom house.I know many lettings agents charge for references I think this is no right,fee like this is moraly dodge...specialy when u pay expensive administration fee and u loyal costumer from few years...they will charge me 40£+VAT for check out on the end my tenancy...Money for nothing...

Thanks for advice,this is 1bedroom house.I know many lettings agents charge for references I think this is no right,fee like this is moraly dodge...specialy when u pay expensive administration fee and u loyal costumer from few years...they will charge me 40£+VAT for check out on the end my tenancy...Money for nothing...

I am no fan of letting agents...

However, they are not allowed to do a credit check themselves, they have to pay a licensed company to do it. That is why you have to pay.

£40 for check-out isn't reasonable - as in I don't think tenants should have to pay this - but again, they have to pay the staff the wages to do it. If you include the driving time etc it's probably a couple of hours work so £40 is probably right. (When I had an agent, he charged me (landlord) £70 for an inventory)

• 1 year later...
I think it's standard practise for letting agents to charge for credit checks and obtaining references. I have just been down to an estate agents myself this morning, who are going to charge me £50 for credit check and references. The agency I'm with at the moment charged me £143 for the same thing, so I think £25 is really quite reasonable. Unfortunately, I can't advise on the situation with the property being on the market. Did the agents make you aware that the property was being let, but also going on the market?

Sorry I can't be more help. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon to advise. But as I said, £25 is much much cheaper than many other letting agencies charge. :)

The agent I am looking at want's to charge me £234! and then a months rent and a bond!. I am shocked!. WHY should we pay for a flat why not the landlord!?