Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Guys, I just got an E-mail this Morning with this Subject:

Advent Computer Training Limited in Administration ("the Company")‏

i_safe.gif Dear Mr ******,

Ian Gould and Brian Hamblin of PKF (UK) LLP were appointed Joint Administrators of the Company on 17 February 2010. Attached to this e-mail is a formal notification of their appointment and details of where you can obtain further information.

If, for any reason, you are unable to open the attachments, please visit www.pkf.co.uk/advent where the information can be downloaded, or, send an e-mail to [email protected], confirming your postal address, so that a copy can be sent to you.

Yours faithfully

Ian Gould and Brian Hamblin

Joint Administrators

So now we know where to start again!

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It might be possible for all to take personal action against the Directors (who still have the money). Faced with many many small claims it might be cheaper and easier for them to settle out of court. At least that way some of the money is returned.

Hiya,

I posted a Q asking how we do this, no replies.

Do u know how to taks action against them personally, coz I need my wonga back and quick!

Well I just got an email through from the administrators. Unfortunately, it looks like anyone with agreements with BPF are still none-the-wiser (apparently they are "unable to comment" on loans and finance agreements with 3rd parties). The information is not really that helpful financially unless you happen to be paying Advent directly I think.

Still, it's a start.

Well I just got an email through from the administrators. Unfortunately, it looks like anyone with agreements with BPF are still none-the-wiser (apparently they are "unable to comment" on loans and finance agreements with 3rd parties). The information is not really that helpful financially unless you happen to be paying Advent directly I think.

Still, it's a start.

There is a bit of information in one of the links on the email stating, "It is our intention to seek a buyer for the businesses and trade assets of Advent and Access which, if successful, could include an undertaking from the purchaser to complete all outstanding training and course work under the same or substantially similar terms to those of your agreement with Advent or Access. Based on the information currently available, we are confident that a buyer will be found."

I personally have lost faith in the whole thing and am only interested in getting my money back from BPF, even if they find a buyer. I don't know how other people feel about this, but it would be good to hear some other opinions to see if there's a general concensus about this.

Anyone know whether students through BPF should complete the "Proof of Debt" form or whether this could work negatively (I.E. BPF then no longer liable and perhaps I get 10p in the pound back from Administrators)?

I want to do as much as possible to get my money back but dont want to shoot myself in the foot at the same time...

:|

Still, it's a start.

Yes I received an e-mail today from PKF as well. This is the full reply.

2. Why are there two companies involved (Advent and Access)?

Advent and Access are not part of the same group of companies, but have common shareholders. If you

are in any doubt as to which Company is relevant to you, you should check your course documentation to

confirm which company is your trainer. You only need to take the actions described in this guidance in

respect of the company which is your trainer.

3. What has happened to the Companies and why did they fail?

The Companies have ceased to trade following a review of their respective financial positions. The

directors of the respective Companies have been advised that in the absence of future funding

commitments, they could not carry on trading.

4. What happens next?

The Administrators are seeking buyers of the business and trade of the Companies. If a buyer is found,

the buyer may be willing to complete the courses which are already in progress. Updates on this position

will be published on the above website.

5. What about courses I have paid for?

The Companies are unable to complete the courses as they do not have sufficient funds to operate the

courses. Therefore, you should not attend any course venues until further notice.

6. Should I continue to pay the instalments for my course?

We are aware that there are several methods of payment for the training, therefore we not able to provide

specific advice on individual circumstances. However, as stated above, the Administrators are seeking

buyers of the business. If a buyer is found, the buyer may be willing to complete the courses which are

already in progress. Updates on this position will be published on the above website.

If you are paying for your course by a loan or finance agreement, unfortunately we are not able to advise

on specific loan agreements. However, we are working with the loan providers to secure a suitable

alternative provider so that your course can continue. Updates on this position will be published on the

above website.

7. What if I want my money back?

If you have paid for training you have not yet received, regrettably, as the Companies are insolvent and

have ceased trading, you are an unsecured creditor in the Administration. You should complete a claim

form for any money owed to you. You can complete the form online at the website address above.

Unfortunately, based on current information, it does not appear likely that there will be a return to

unsecured creditors in this matter. You should periodically check the above website for updated

information.

If you have paid by credit card, please contact your card provider to make a claim.

If you took out a loan to pay for your course, unfortunately we are not able to advise on specific loan

agreements. However, we are working with the loan providers to secure a suitable alternative provider so

that your course can continue. Updates on this position will be published on the above website.

8. What happens if I am part way through the course and want to continue with it immediately?

The Companies are not able to continue your course immediately. As commented above, the

Administrators are seeking buyers of the business and trade of the Companies. If a buyer is found, the

buyer may be willing to complete the courses which are already in progress. Updates on this position will

be published on the above website.

We're no further on by the looks of things :(

Do you think Advent & Barclay's could well be in league privately ? I've seen to many documentaries / Real ones about Fraud and miss-leading people. I don't trust them.

And back in 2006 when I used to attend College, I was studying PC Maintenance and Repair level 1 +2

There was some talk going on about Advent then. As I didn't know anything about them I never paid much attention. But I did hear either they was bad and a Con scheme, or he was saying '' Yea Advent are good they train you up ect.

My point is, This was back in 2006.....

So they been around for a while, I wonder if they pull the plug constantly in work withBarclays.

Court Action will be needed, An alternative provider? That's BS....

They know there in Trouble.

74 Act. I have read.

just hope they have.;)

Edited by Nail-em-2-The-Wall

Bit of a pointless post, but it was on my mind so I thought i'd write it anyway.

It's possible that Barclays know they're going to have to cancel loans and give refunds and they accept that. They might just not be giving anything away at this point to see how many people are going to accept an alternative training provider without looking into the possibility of a refund. If they let on that a refund and loan cancellation is an option, many more people would take this option than accept a new training provider. So they might just be trying to limit costs that way. Maybe once alternative training providers are assigned and everyone willing to accept this is enroled, they will then issure refunds to everyone else.

It's just a thought and there may be nothing in it, but just trying to think of anything to give us all a bit extra hope.

Anyone know whether students through BPF should complete the "Proof of Debt" form or whether this could work negatively (I.E. BPF then no longer liable and perhaps I get 10p in the pound back from Administrators)?

No; Although Advent were responsible for the course and training, the financial arrangement is between you and BPF.

Like the way PKF are saying they are working with the finance companies. In fact I suspect all the finance companies will be desperately trying to get back any money they can from them and sod everyone else.

David

Bit of a pointless post, but it was on my mind so I thought i'd write it anyway.

It's possible that Barclays know they're going to have to cancel loans and give refunds and they accept that. They might just not be giving anything away at this point to see how many people are going to accept an alternative training provider without looking into the possibility of a refund. If they let on that a refund and loan cancellation is an option, many more people would take this option than accept a new training provider. So they might just be trying to limit costs that way. Maybe once alternative training providers are assigned and everyone willing to accept this is enroled, they will then issure refunds to everyone else.

It's just a thought and there may be nothing in it, but just trying to think of anything to give us all a bit extra hope.[/q

Thing is mate Barclays reckon & are supposed to have paid for our courses to Advent upfront, so if that is the case they, will not be limiting their costs as they will have to pay the new training provider, possibly the same amount again!! Also if it is the case that they did actually pay upfront, as Financers are supposed to do on your behalf, thn my question is, where the hell did that cash go & how the hell did Advent go into Administration...

I am a true believer that Advent & BPF are in cahoots with this & i believe that it may well be takin them so long to deal with as the Training Provider is going to be in some form or another ADVENT... sorry for the long reply but i also want to say, why an earth would someone want to buy the company as the insolvency people say, when they too could end up in this situation?? again i believe the reason they feel confident they will sell the company is because it is going to be haha ADVENT.. if they sell the company and tell us that we are to continue course with new owners, who in their right mind would want to continue with them when again it could be the same people & TBH we will never know who they are other than what we are told.. Sorry again just very Disgruntled:mad::mad::mad::eek:

Hi, i took out a web development course with advent at the beginning of last year with my sister as a guarantor, this should of cost 5 grand, i was working through it well for a bit but then some things happened and it got layed to the side.

Roll forward to this january when payments are due to start i hear that they went into administration also during this time i was in the process of moving so the payments were sadly neglected until today my sister handed me a letter from BPF stating that the accounts behind payments of £12350.76 and since my sister was my guarantor its currently in her name and was really wondering a few things A.whever i can actually change the account into my name, B. how in the hell my 5 grand course has jumped upto over 12 grand and C. if theres anything i can actually do :( im 22 and currently unemployed and my sister have money troubles of her own to worry about at the moment so im completely lost on what to do....all in all can anyone HELP! :(

if they sell the company and tell us that we are to continue course with new owners, who in their right mind would want to continue with them when again it could be the same people

It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if the new companies, (with similar names), that the Advent directors have set up tried to buy it back and if they put in the best offer, PKF would be obliged to accept it.

Now that would have BPF spitting blood.

David

Hi, i took out a web development course with advent at the beginning of last year with my sister as a guarantor, this should of cost 5 grand, i was working through it well for a bit but then some things happened and it got layed to the side.

Roll forward to this january when payments are due to start i hear that they went into administration also during this time i was in the process of moving so the payments were sadly neglected until today my sister handed me a letter from BPF stating that the accounts behind payments of £12350.76 and since my sister was my guarantor its currently in her name and was really wondering a few things A.whever i can actually change the account into my name, B. how in the hell my 5 grand course has jumped upto over 12 grand and C. if theres anything i can actually do :( im 22 and currently unemployed and my sister have money troubles of her own to worry about at the moment so im completely lost on what to do....all in all can anyone HELP! :(

Yep the £12,350.76 amount will be the total cost of the loan including all of the interest if you pay it off monthly and not all in one go. That's around the figure that my agreement was for. They've already had over a grand off me for absolutely nothing whatsoever and I don't intend to give them one more penny. Make sure you're sister or whoever has the agreement contacts BPF to put a freeze on the account so no further payments are taken.

It's just a thought and there may be nothing in it, but just trying to think of anything to give us all a bit extra hope.[/q

Thing is mate Barclays reckon & are supposed to have paid for our courses to Advent upfront, so if that is the case they, will not be limiting their costs as they will have to pay the new training provider, possibly the same amount again!! Also if it is the case that they did actually pay upfront, as Financers are supposed to do on your behalf, thn my question is, where the hell did that cash go & how the hell did Advent go into Administration...

I am a true believer that Advent & BPF are in cahoots with this & i believe that it may well be takin them so long to deal with as the Training Provider is going to be in some form or another ADVENT... sorry for the long reply but i also want to say, why an earth would someone want to buy the company as the insolvency people say, when they too could end up in this situation?? again i believe the reason they feel confident they will sell the company is because it is going to be haha ADVENT.. if they sell the company and tell us that we are to continue course with new owners, who in their right mind would want to continue with them when again it could be the same people & TBH we will never know who they are other than what we are told.. Sorry again just very Disgruntled:mad::mad::mad::eek:

I agree with your first paragraph, it could be a case of playing hard to get. At the end of the day the people that you speak to on the phone about your finance agreements and loans are basically salesmen. It's their job to ensure that they keep as much money coming in to the company as possible. I would imagine it's not unreasonable to assume that the agents have been given instructions to ignore refund requests until such a time as a new service is offered. And, to be honest, if that is the case that's fair enough, as long as the option is there.

I'm going to be calling them up YET AGAIN before my set Friday night as I've hassled them numberous times regarding written confirmation of my account being frozen and yet no letter appears. I think it's time to use my big boy voice...

I absolutely agree. I have been composing a letter ready for when I recieve a reply to my previous one outlining what I believe could have happened here. That is, the funds were not released to Advent as 1, full, single payment and that would explain the downfall of Advent. I've also told them there's nothing to gain for them by paying for an alternative provider rather than giving my money back and cancelling the loan because it's an interest free loan. The only reason I can see why they would want to do this is because they're seeking cheaper courses for us all than it would cost to cancel loan and issue refunds. All of this is good argument for not accepting a new course - courses that are cheaper than the ones we signed up for and the lack of trust I now have in Barclays. Who's to say that if Barclays find us new courses, the same thing won't happen again and we have to go through this whole scenario again. Plus, if we're assigned new courses which we accept, then we find they're not to our liking, we've already enrolled and there'll be absolutely no chance of cancelling the agreement so I just want out of the whole thing while I have a chance. If we get the money back, we can choose our own courses if we wish to continue training, then if they're not to our liking we only have ourselves to blame. I'm not going to leave my future in someone else's hands and let a big corporate business with only profit in mind to decide what's best for me and my future.

All I can suggest here is to double check your loan agreement. Mine specifically says it's interest free and the total repayable is the £5,995 which the course cost and that's ocer 36 monthly payments. If your's says otherwise and you were told it was interest free, you may have been mislead by the salesman

All I can suggest here is to double check your loan agreement. Mine specifically says it's interest free and the total repayable is the £5,995 which the course cost and that's ocer 36 monthly payments. If your's says otherwise and you were told it was interest free, you may have been mislead by the salesman

All I can suggest here is to double check your loan agreement. Mine specifically says it's interest free and the total repayable is the £5,995 which the course cost and that's over 36 monthly payments. If your's says otherwise and you were told it was interest free, you may have been mislead by the salesman

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks