Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am actualy planning to write them a letter and inform them that I would consult the ombundsmen. Coz they have to accept they do not want to solve the matter at their level. I might lose what I have already paid but whats the point continuing to pay them? No point.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am actualy planning to write them a letter and inform them that I would consult the ombundsmen. Coz they have to accept they do not want to solve the matter at their level. I might lose what I have already paid but whats the point continuing to pay them? No point.

If you succeed in canceling your account by doing this, well, let us know please.

What do you guys all think of NITLC's offer to get Comptia A+ students through their exam? They've also apparently approached Barclays to offer to be the new training provider. Any thoughts on this one? :?

I have just been on the free course offered by NITLC, and I thought it was excellent. They made us very welcome, and the training was second to none. There were only five of us (all ex Advent students), and I tell you what, if I had known about this company, I would never had gone to Advent. They were very professional, generous and the equipment we used waws top class. Thank you all at NITLC for giving us 3 productive days. Iwill be taking my A+ Essentials and Technician exams within the month.

I have just been on the free course offered by NITLC, and I thought it was excellent. They made us very welcome, and the training was second to none. There were only five of us (all ex Advent students), and I tell you what, if I had known about this company, I would never had gone to Advent. They were very professional, generous and the equipment we used waws top class. Thank you all at NITLC for giving us 3 productive days. Iwill be taking my A+ Essentials and Technician exams within the month.

I don't want to be rude, and I'm just asking: are you sure you're not paid to say that? Did they guarantee you a job after taking the first certification? After all it cannot be more than distance learning, what really matters is afterwards, not the equipment ...

Hi there,

For Chickyboy if you do this for living please help us to get our money back. I will pay you obviously and probably everyone here. Please let me now ASAP.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Hi There,

The letter that people are posting on here at the moment, in its roughest format is acceptable to use as an LBA - Letter Before Action. The thing to do is send it by Registered Post because that is guaranteed next day receipt and is signed for, i.e. traceability for you.

Give them 8 days from the date of your letter, i.e. 7 days from receipt of sending by Registered Post.

Please see below for the standard letter that I use for your reference:

Dear sirs

Credit Card Account Number - 1234 5678 9101 1234

Refund of monies under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act

I write in reference to a transaction processed on the aforementioned account as detailed below:

Transaction Date: (Insert relevant date)

Transaction Amount: (Insert Value)

In Favour of: (Insert Name on transaction on credit card statement)

This transaction relates to Training Material/Course provided by Advent Computer Training Limited. This Company has ceased to trade, having appointed PKF of Birmingham to act on their behalf.

I paid for my training Course and Materials in advance, however, by the Company ceasing to trade they are in Breach of Contract. Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act, by me not being able to attend my course or receive goods I have paid for they are not carrying out their part of our Contract.

Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, I formally request a full refund of monies paid in this transaction.

Should I not receive full re-imbursement within 7 days from the date of receipt of this letter, I will issue Court proceedings against you for the full amount plus interest from the date of the original transaction.

For the avoidance of any doubt, your refund cheque should be made payable to (Insert your name here) and should be received within the stipulated timeframe.

Yours faithfully

XXXXX

If anyone wants to contact me directly rather than through this forum, my email address is [email protected].

Chickyboy

I am in Newcastle upon tyne. Advent issue is a real setback to me as well. They did not even send me an email to say they had gone under. My friend was adviced by a lady at Barclays Partner Finance to stop her DD. I stopped mine and received the issue-surcharges for none payment and instructions to continue paying. I have just rang the number 01215676104 and the guy took my details. Woooooooooooooooi. What can we do?:twisted:

Hi There,

You need to look at the terms and conditions on any paperwork that you have from Advent.

If you cannot afford to pay it, they cannot get blood from a stone but it will boil down to the T&C's.

Anyway you can scan them in and email to me direct ?

Chickyboy

I don't want to be rude, and I'm just asking: are you sure you're not paid to say that? Did they guarantee you a job after taking the first certification? After all it cannot be more than distance learning, what really matters is afterwards, not the equipment ...

Well, If I had just got a freebie off them, for which they would have pulled out all the stops - they wouldn't need to pay me:)

Relevant point is however, how would they, or any other company for that matter, cope with a sudden influx of several thousand students if BPF appointed them.

David

hello chickyboy,

Ive sent letter to BPF to freeze my account which theyve confirmed. Also asked for proof of receipt that theyve paid advent the sum total of 5500 but heard nothing. its been over a month now and still non the wiser. Is there anything else i can do? (took 3y intrest free in oct09)

Hi,

The good thing is they have frozen the account, the negative being they have now gone quiet. The best thing to do is to make yourself the biggest pain they have ever known, contact them daily to obtain the confirmation that you need. They will get so fed up with you calling every day or emailing/faxing (however you are going to do it) they will deal with your enquiry to get you off their back.

Chickyboy

He/She does it for a living, meaning no payment no advice. 6000+ students, mean stacks of money. Why would they just tell you when they could make stacks of money of us?

Sarcasm being the lowest form of wit, not everybody is out to screw people over and on the basis that you don't know who I am - get back in your cage with your muzzle on or start talking sense!

Chickboy. Why don't you give us the benefit of your expertise?

Hey,

I will help anyone where I can, without a problem.

Everyone's circumstances are different, so; if you have paid by Credit Card and have issued the relevant letter/s to your Credit Card Company it's time to step it up a gear.

I can prepare the legal documentation for you but I will need to email it to you, won't be able to post on to here. My email address is [email protected] and you can contact me there.

***For the unitiated or just down right negative thinking I am here to fleece every single person I help, IF I ask you for a small contribution (no more than £50) all monies will be donated to Bliss - the charity that helps parents with prematurely born children - my son died twice the day he was born 8 weeks early and anytime I do anything like this now it all goes there.

Ultimately, if you don't believe me don't ask for my help and good luck on your own; luckily for me I have a clear conscience and sleep well at night knowing that I try and help people.***

Chickyboy

Hi. I just joined this forum but I've been reading it since the begining. My hubby is in the same situation as you and he's due to start repaying next month. We weren't sure where we stood as we haven't paid anything yet and like everyone else we don't want Barclays to choose for us or get caught in the same situation again.

Your letter to BFP sounds great, would it be ok if I copy it and send it off?

Thanks

When I applied for the free place on the course, I knew before I went there that NITLC were not going to guarantee me a job. It was not part of their offer, and they emphasised this to us and always to their regular students, that they do not guarantee a job. After all, they are not an employment agency.

The reason, they said for offering these places was to enable those ex Advent students, to prepare for the A+ exams. Honestly, if I thought that NITLC was below standard, and the course was rubbish, I would say so. I just feel we were very well treated, and given a top class opportunity to up our game. I think if Advent had run these preliminary exam courses, there would have been a lot more students through to the Microsoft curriculum by now.

Malchus, you were right to query my statement, because I did not know what to expect when I went to the training establishment. At the end of the course I felt it was well worth it, and i am now in the process of booking both the A+ Essentials and Technician Exams. :-)

It's funny you should say that. Here is my story for what it's worth...

I took out the training agreement with Advent in Sep 2008 and signed up with BPF with the payments due to start in Sep 2009. In Dec 2008 my health started to deteriorate to such a point that by March of 2009 I was admitted to hospital for two life-saving operations that I had no way of foreseeing. I've not been able to think about anything other than trying to get back to living a normal life since I was discharged. I suddenly realised that BPF were due to start taking payments for something I had never even started in Sep of last year and I immediately contacted Advent to try and cancel the course and stop the loan.

I was advised to send in written proof from my GP to substantiate my claim - which I duly did. Advent came back to me and said that they would cancel the course but only at a cost and that my loan agreement wouldn't be affected this was despite me never having received one single thing in return for my money. I've been trying to get this damn thing cancelled ever since - I sent numerous letters and then suddenly I was sent the inevitable e-mail in Dec to say they had gone bust. I have had £1,281 taken out of my bank account since Sep last year for nothing.

I wrote to BPF by e-mail on 1.2.10 enclosing all written proof from my doctor and also that I have been trying to cancel the course for months to no avail. I received a letter from Barclays in response to my e-mail stating that they have forwarded my 'complaint' to a dedicated handler who will contact me within the next 15 working days but that I should continue to make the payments in the meantime. Strangely, they decided not to take out my last payment but I put this down to me phoning them and asking for a freeze on my account.

Not only has all this had a detrimental effect on my health which was improving, Advent were specifically advised by my doctor that it could make me relapse and they continued to persist with this ridiculous claim for which I have taken absolutely nothing in return. I am anxiously awaiting the decision from BPF - I have advised them that I do not require another training provider as there is no way I can complete the course and that I would like a full refund of the above amount. I really don't hold out much hope but there you go. :(:(:(

Following on from this I was due to receive a response to my complaint today. On Sat I received a letter from BPF stating.....

Please be assured that the concerns you raised in your earlier e-mail are being thoroughly investigated and I now expect to contact you by 1 March 2010 to provide you with a detailed response. In the meantime, if you wish to contact the Customer Relations Department, please call on 0844-811-9033.

You may at this stage refer this matter to the Finance and Leasing Association for their assistance with your complaint. You can contact them on 0207-836-6511 or by logging on to Home - Finance & Leasing Association.

Thank you for your continued patience whilst our investigation continues.

Yours sincerely

S Carey

I've had a look on the fla website and they appear to be a service to help mediate complaints made about their members - BPF being one of them - so I thought I'd post the details here for people to go and have a look at themselves. I intend to wait until 1 March 2010 before I officially refer it to them however but it seems pretty ominous that they're referring me before the complaint's even been dealt with. :confused:

I've had a look on the fla website and they appear to be a service to help mediate complaints made about their members - BPF being one of them - so I thought I'd post the details here for people to go and have a look at themselves. I intend to wait until 1 March 2010 before I officially refer it to them however but it seems pretty ominous that they're referring me before the complaint's even been dealt with. :confused:

Don't know what response you are likely to get from them as again they are an organisation set up by themselves, so to speak.

As far as I can see:

You are not in breach of contract with Advent by being ill - (clause 11.2 of the Advent contract)

Advent are in breach by closing.

In my view you have a claim aginst BPF under S75 of the Consumer credit Act.

David

Hi,

One of those quiet ones thats just been reading the threads but feel its time to join in.

Obviously, same as everyone else i'm not a happy bunny!

My mum had to take out a BPF loan with Adevent for me (for somereason I couldn't get the loan despite a good credit rating).

We paid the loan in full at the end of last year to avoid any silly interest being added.

I contact Barclays with all the information about the finance i had with them and was told on the phone that all affected student would be receiving communications telling us that an alternative provider will be found and we'll be kept up to date...since then I've heard nothing more.

Before I start calling them back to kick up a stink, I wanted to see if anyone else is in the same boat as me, and if they've heard anything, or what action they have taken so far...

I'm hopeful that even though i've paid my BPF loan back already i'll still be covered by the finance agreement...any ideas/thoughts/help would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Following on from this I was due to receive a response to my complaint today. On Sat I received a letter from BPF stating.....

Please be assured that the concerns you raised in your earlier e-mail are being thoroughly investigated and I now expect to contact you by 1 March 2010 to provide you with a detailed response. In the meantime, if you wish to contact the Customer Relations Department, please call on 0844-811-9033.

You may at this stage refer this matter to the Finance and Leasing Association for their assistance with your complaint. You can contact them on 0207-836-6511 or by logging on to Home - Finance & Leasing Association.

Thank you for your continued patience whilst our investigation continues.

Yours sincerely

S Carey

Hi what is the complaint EMail address you used please

ADVENT COMPUTER TRAINING LIMITED

5 THE MEWS HAGLEY HALL

HAGLEY

WORCESTERSHIRE

DY9 9LQ

Company No. 04511374

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

Case Number:1Case Type:IN ADMINISTRATION 17.02.10

Practitioner name:GOULD, IAN JAMES

Practitioner address:PKF (UK) LLP

NEW GUILD HOUSE

45 GREAT CHARLES STREET

QUEENSWAY BIRMINGHAM

B3 2LX

Practitioner name:HAMBLIN, BRIAN JAMES

Practitioner address:PKF

NEW GUILD HOUSE

45 GREAT CHARLES STREET

QUEENSWAY BIRMINGHAM

B3 2LX

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifStatus: In Administration as of 17.02.10

Edited by BEBOBEBO
addition info

As always please check and double check what myself and other Caggers inform.

If you like my Post please dont be shy give my Scales a little tickle :-)

I have been following this thread since Advent and Accees 2 Trade careers went bust. My sympathy does go out to all concerned. I work in the legal sector and I have a friend who signed up to one of these courses.

The directors concerned have already set up another company (Advent consulting Ltd). I am representing my friend with regards to Barclays and Advent.

If, and when I find out anything that will be of use to you all I will inform you straight away of any developments.

In the meantime I urge anyone who hasn't yet signed up to the No.10 website to do so. More numbers, greater voice.

Letter has arrived at BPF this morning. Will be interesting to see what they reply with.

Hi THE ROADIE,

My hubby is in the same situation as you. Is it ok if we copy your letter and send it to BPF. Did you send any other letters to them before the latest one?

Thanks

hello to you all as all of you i have been stung by advent goin in to admin i took 6k course and got a loan from bpf if any one is in the same situation if u ring bpf they will suspend payment on your loan untill such a time that they can continue your course or refund all monies paid hope you find this helpfull

I'm hopeful that even though i've paid my BPF loan back already i'll still be covered by the finance agreement...any ideas/thoughts/help would be much appreciated!

Doesn't matter if you've paid back the loan or not - BPF are still liable under S75.

David

Just a thought. If Barclays claims that has already paid Advent as an argument, making us to keep paying the full amount, then what about the new provider, provided that, it is gonna be one? Will Barclays pay again the same amount of money to the new provider? I don't think so, and certainly something stinks at this point, as it stinks the whole situation!

get back in your cage with your muzzle on or start talking sense!

What's with the insults?

Listen we all have been done over, can you blame me for being skeptical. No offense was implied. People do take advantage of others in desperate situations, and thats sense

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks