Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3921 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Heya! I just signed up for this thing hoping someone will help!!!

I joined advent last year and was doing the MCSA course which included the Comptia A+ as I’m very new in the IT field. Now that advent has gone bankrupt, my folks at home want me to find another place where I could do a similar course!!! I’m still waiting for the letter from Barclays but in the mean while I’m finding a really hard time looking for a place where I could do this course. Some companies say I need the MSDCT not the A+ and network + in order to do the MSCA. Could someone please tell me what I need to do for MCSA? Sorry, I know my post is alil off track with what you lots are talking about but I need major help! Thanks

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heya! I just signed up for this thing hoping someone will help!!!

I joined advent last year and was doing the MCSA course which included the Comptia A+ as I’m very new in the IT field. Now that advent has gone bankrupt, my folks at home want me to find another place where I could do a similar course!!! I’m still waiting for the letter from Barclays but in the mean while I’m finding a really hard time looking for a place where I could do this course. Some companies say I need the MSDCT not the A+ and network + in order to do the MSCA. Could someone please tell me what I need to do for MCSA? Sorry, I know my post is alil off track with what you lots are talking about but I need major help! Thanks

If a company is more hardware based like a computer repairer/manufacturer then the A+ is better. The MCDST is mainly for IT support type roles. Finally the MCSA allows you to become a network administrator which pays better.

My advice would be to finish the course yourself (assuming you can get a refund from Barclays). The manuals can be purchased online for about £26 each and exams are £88 currently. I worked out I could have funded my entire course for about £1,000! I didnt really learn anything new on the workshops and practice exams can be aquired online so dont really see the point in using another rip-off provider!

It's very confusing all these name changes do you think this is right........

Access 2 Careers Ltd Incorporated 15/10/04

Anglo Capital Ltd name change 7/12/09

Advent Computer Training Ltd date incorporation 14/08/2002

Advent Consulting Ltd date of name change 7/12/09

I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow and I'm trying to get as much info as I can find and I'll share it here anything that can help.

The more you dig the more corrupt it's looking

And Barclays will definately be insured against Advent going into liquidation

Hmmmmmmm. On my Barclays Partner Finance Agreement though from Feb 2009 it says the retailers name is Advent Consulting Ltd. How can that be if the date of name change to that is 7/12/09 ??

I'm sick went to the lawyer today the law's an ass.

I'm due to pay the £5000 or we all know what it'll turn into... and according to her We can't get out of doing that I'm raging think I'll seek a second opinion

Apparantely I can write to advent and ask for a refund like that'll happen and ask them who the liquidiser is and apply to them for a couple pennies in the pound!!!!

Where is the CONSUMER RIGHTS??

I'm sick of these kind crooks that have Business loopholes on their side to screw decent folk and it's so obvious they pulled the plug before anyone could sit their exams and they'd have to honour their promise of finding us IT jobs. what a load of cr@p They shouldn't get away with this where's all the millions £££ they've stole and they stole from Barclays so Barclay should be after them not all of us.

Guess I need to look elswhere and try some of the suggestions on here Sorry I didn't get the news I was hoping to be posting tonight

Think I will try another lawyer

It's not fair or just that we should be screwed twice and come to think of it we're the only ones in this 3 way partnership that's not millionaires

Edited by Bluedo

Hi All, first post here.

I sponsored training through Advent with for wife and have a Fixed-Sum Loan Agreement with Barclays as the finance, so in a position like many others on here. I have been reading the forums and it has been very useful, thank you all for your hard work and efforts.

I contacted Barclays last week to find out what what happening and was told they are looking for another training provider.

Contacted them again yesterday to freeze my account until this matter is resolved.

Contacted them again today to ensure that my account was frozen, was told that it had not yet been actioned. I also asked if a letter was sent out to confirm when it had been frozen and was advised that nothing went out automatically but I could request one be sent once the account was frozen (so I did that).

I also asked where in my contract it said that Barclays can choose another provider for me. I was told that it doesn't actually say it in the contract but under section 3 (key details), which says "If the contract is not fulfilled, perhaps because the supplier has gone out of business, you might still be able to sue us.", they are trying to fulfill the agreement.

I then advised that I would not be happy with another supplier due to these unpleasant circumstances and asked what I need to do for a refund. I was advised to write a letter explaining my request to Customer Relations, Barclays Partner Finance, PO Box 3979, Glasgow, G51 1YL.

I am now in the process of writing a letter quoting the CCA 1974, Section 75 and using the Time of Essence as well to get a response within 7 days.

I would urge any of you who have frozen your accounts to check that it has happened. And anyone with a FTL with Barclays wanting a refund to all write in and request it.

Hope this helps.

I am in the same position as you. However I spoke to a girl in Consumer Direct today and she advised me to write a letter to BPF, stating they and Advent were in breach of CCA 1974 and I wanted this matter resolved within 14 days BUT not to stop paying the direct debits but to state in the same letter I was paying under protest.

So I reinstated the direct debit I cancelled as the next payment is due Feb 6th

Also I had spoken to BPF about freezing my account and they told me this was done (God knows if it was or not based on your experience) and to cancel my DD.

I'm going to go with the advice from Consumer Direct for now

I'd be quite happy to continue my training with a relaunched Advent as I was impressed by the way they were conducting their training courses, and the last two text books they sent me were quite good.

You are extremely lucky that you funded your course through hitachi and the finance company will have to pick up the tab.

If you had paid them direct like many others had, you would be looking at a total loss.

I can't really imagine why you would have anything to do with them again.

David

Hmmmmmmm. On my Barclays Partner Finance Agreement though from Feb 2009 it says the retailers name is Advent Consulting Ltd. How can that be if the date of name change to that is 7/12/09 ??

Hi you can check all these company names on companies house webcheck its free to be quite honest with you I am bamboozled with the amount of name changes and it's a wonder when they answer their phone that they don't forget who they are this week.

They pure Crooks

Hi bucklic,

Cancelling the DD in my opinion is the worst thing anyone in our situation can do. Whilst the contract may have been breached, you are still able to breach the contract as it is still running. This is the reason I asked for my account to be frozen.

Writing a letter to BPF is the right thing to do. Cannot guarantee the results we want, but it's the best direction based on the advise we have received from CAB, CD and TS.

If a company is more hardware based like a computer repairer/manufacturer then the A+ is better. The MCDST is mainly for IT support type roles. Finally the MCSA allows you to become a network administrator which pays better.

My advice would be to finish the course yourself (assuming you can get a refund from Barclays). The manuals can be purchased online for about £26 each and exams are £88 currently. I worked out I could have funded my entire course for about £1,000! I didnt really learn anything new on the workshops and practice exams can be aquired online so dont really see the point in using another rip-off provider!

The thing is... I'm not working! and finding a job atm is tough! which do you think is better, the A+/Network+ or the MCDST?? in general which is better? im sure both are good but i really don't know. What site can you get the manuals from? Isn't self study harder? What happens when you need help? I've looked at plenty of companies and they all literally look like they're after money but I'm so new at this, I would defo need help! what course were you doing with advent?

Hi again I think on the 7/12/09 Advent Consulting Ltd changed to Advent Computer Training ltd as Advent Consulting Ltd was a previous name

Really confusing as my folder and enrolment letters from Advent from march 09 says advent computer training but barclays letters refer to advent consulting ltd

The thing is... I'm not working! and finding a job atm is tough! which do you think is better' date=' the A+/Network+ or the MCDST?? in general which is better? im sure both are good but i really don't know. What site can you get the manuals from? Isn't self study harder? What happens when you need help? I've looked at plenty of companies and they all literally look like they're after money but I'm so new at this, I would defo need help! what course were you doing with advent?[/quote']

I'm doing the MCSE which includes the A+, MCDST and MCSA. I worked out I could have done all 11 exams by buying my own study books and paying for the exams myself for a little over £1,000 which is a fraction of what these companies want. You can buy the manuals at places like Amazon. Just type the exam code into the search box and it will bring up the official microsoft manuals which Advent supplied for £26! Other books such as cram sessions can be bought for £10-£15.

I appreciate you dont get the workshop days although I dont feel I learnt anything new in them, was just useful for doing practical stuff on the PC. You can buy instructional videos online too, just search for MCSE study videos.

I would advise to wait and see what Barclays do as they asre trying to find an alternative provider. Computeach are the only one I know who a friend is with. He says a lot of there stuff is online and is very good.

I have access to all of there addresses, all of the directors not just Andrew Allchurch but also John Whitehead, Ashley Jones and Ivor Allchurch the reason I posted Andrews details on the Facebook group is that out of the handfull of Directors he has a Significant amount of activity on his file compared to the other directors.

Lindsay you mentioned that you have never heard of Andrew Allchurch??? given whats happened if he is the Official Owner/Majority Shareholder of the company maybe he didn't want to be known by his own staff because of what's unfolding before us right now.

Its a serious loophole in the system regarding companies going into administration then liquidation, the system sucks really bad basically if you look into it in detail and it needs to be sorted out before others are exploiting it.

I really hope that there filed account records for 31-March-09 is completley accurate and maybe they do like you said Lindsay have a reserve put to one side that we do not yet know of and the administrators could be looking into, but hey I'm being way to optimistic with all of this maybe, I myself am going to see what comes of it by monday or maybe end of next week at latest.

Its basically a desperate attempt to keep the 6000 contracts running most likely totalling up to millions and millions, Barclays think they can get away with moving you to another training provider that might even cost less than "Advent" then they can even stand to make several millions in the process if the banks play there cards right, its a ****ing cruel world and we (Advent students) happen to be in the midst of it all.

Everyone please join the Facebook group! send your emails to watchdog about your story you have to tell!

Plenty of really good advice all over this thread so I would just be repeating what over people have said!

I'm getting so sick of this to the point that I feel like Im going to puke up my organs, I will post up all there address details in due course for anyone whose lucky enough to live nearby them and give them a freindly visit...

GL to all of you and my sympathy goes out to all of those laid off at Advent and all the Advent Students aswell

Andrew Allchurch and Ivor Allchurch are one in the same.

This [problem] Warning reminds me of Advent lol....

With interest rates at rock bottom, watch out for offers of brilliant investment opportunities delivering stellar returns of Time or Money.

Of course, you have to set up an account with the genius behind this scheme, who not only collects the cash you want to invest but gets the bonus of your full personal and bank account details.

Anything that seems too good to be true almost certainly is too good to be true, so don't get involved.

Hi all, I am in the BPF situation. I just phoned them to freeze my account with them, and they informed me that they'd already put a hold on it, and that I should now just cancel my direct debit with my own bank (Natwest) which I have now done. They told me that as they had already put a hold on the account until further notice, this would not be in breach of contract.

Actually, it seemed they couldn't get me off the phone quickly enough.....

Thanks to the 34 of you who have done the survey.

Looks like most of us still have to pay the loan taken out via Advent.

Also most don’t want to continue with distance learning after your Advent experience.

I will publish the full results next week.

If any of you want to take part the link is:

"]http://questionpro.com/t/ADkWRZG4Mp

Together we WILL get a solution.

Thanks again.

Hi Guys,

I just spoke to BPF people. It's not a fresh news. But she was saying that most students are asking for alternate training provider and not for refunds..which is totally sick. I had enough wit these guys. She froze my account and asked me to cancel didrect debit from my bank as well. Plz don't get me wrong, but how come certain people ask for another training provider again..i hope we all had enough wit these guys...i'm going to c CAB on monday. i just want my money back.nothing else.

i agree fully with everyone here about wanting their money back. Advent "says" they got money put away to cover you in the event of this hapening. On their website it reads like this...

"We have built up significant reserves of our money, which is held at Barclays, to help train out barclays' customers in the event of something like this happening"

now if i read that right, the money is gonne be used to pay an alternative training establishment for those who are will into their course and for those who have signed up for the course or paid it off in full will get reinbursed (think the email stated that).

now to the more important bit... i soke with BPF (CFS) and the guy on the other side was very helpful. he told me that they only just got news about this midweek (same time i got my email about Advent) and have been up in the air trying to get this sorted.

they are trying to locate a different training facility closer to where we currently are to allow us to continue at no extra cost to us..so if ya in west yorks (like me) then it may well be in leeds. if ya in the south east then you maybe looking at london or the surrounding area.

there will be a letter being sent out (no time span given) stating this. he also said that they can't charge for a service if its non existant (see consumer act 1974).

personally i would rather have the loan cleared off and use the money i would save to clear off other debts faster and i would of prefered to take the course direct with microsoft or do it in the DIY fasion. Saying that though, i'm glad that something is being sorted out and it not all in vain.

those with a CDL will just have to live with being reloacated from what i've, but for us through BPF theres the refund option available to us if we can't be found anywhere localy.

would you take a better car for the same money if your failed should you have the offer, or would you want your money back and start using the peasant wagon to get to where u need to be. (ok maybe a bad analogy...but you get my drift right?)

[Edit]

I was never advised to canx my DD with them... if they freeze it at their side the DD system shouldn't take the DD in the 1st place. i guess they just advising that incase the DD system fails

Edited by FrozenSun
amendmant

Hi and welcome.

i agree fully with everyone here about wanting their money back. Advent "says" they got money put away to cover you in the event of this hapening. On their website it reads like this...

"We have built up significant reserves of our money, which is held at Barclays, to help train out barclays' customers in the event of something like this happening"

now if i read that right, the money is gonne be used to pay an alternative training establishment for those who are will into their course and for those who have signed up for the course or paid it off in full will get reinbursed (think the email stated that).

This company is no longer trading and has no say whatever in what happens.

now to the more important bit... i soke with BPF (CFS) and the guy on the other side was very helpful. he told me that they only just got news about this midweek (same time i got my email about Advent) and have been up in the air trying to get this sorted.

Errrr..that's not true. I am helping a relative of mine with this - who got a letter from BPF regarding this, dated last Thursday 28 Jan. They must have known some days earlier.

they are trying to locate a different training facility closer to where we currently are to allow us to continue at no extra cost to us..so if ya in west yorks (like me) then it may well be in leeds. if ya in the south east then you maybe looking at london or the surrounding area.

there will be a letter being sent out (no time span given) stating this. he also said that they can't charge for a service if its non existant (see consumer act 1974).

If you do nothing they will continue to take the DD as normal. (The letter to my relative actually states that).

You need to contact them and INSIST that they freeze the account and confirm it in writing.

personally i would rather have the loan cleared off and use the money i would save to clear off other debts faster and i would of prefered to take the course direct with microsoft or do it in the DIY fasion. Saying that though, i'm glad that something is being sorted out and it not all in vain.

those with a CDL will just have to live with being reloacated from what i've, but for us through BPF theres the refund option available to us if we can't be found anywhere localy.

would you take a better car for the same money if your failed should you have the offer, or would you want your money back and start using the peasant wagon to get to where u need to be. (ok maybe a bad analogy...but you get my drift right?)

[Edit]

I was never advised to canx my DD with them... if they freeze it at their side the DD system shouldn't take the DD in the 1st place. i guess they just advising that incase the DD system fails

If you believe what BPF tell you on the phone, you may well be disappointed!!:-o

Where we are now is that:

If you insist, they will freeze the account and they appear to be recognising their responsibility under Sec75 Consumer Credit Act to find an alternative provider. This however is an open ended arrangement with no timescale.

What I am trying to establish at the moment is: Under the legal principle 'time of essence' what is in fact a 'reasonable' timescale for them to fulfil their obligations.

In other words, how long have they got before you can turn round and demand the agrrement is cancelled or if paid up, your money back.

David

Time of the essence: Law Firm, London UK defines Time of the essence

Don't know if this is any help

I wish I could find something concrete it's the not knowing what's going to happen and time is really of the essence for me and it's running out so I say Their Time's up game over!! Sooo wish I'd never heard of Advent Consulting...Training...Access 2 whatever or whoever they are this week. and they're still showing active.

Really don't don't want to pay £5000 for a book and little tool kit must have been mad but was carried away with the false promises.

thought it would change my life well it's sure done that just not in the way I'd hoped.

Onwards and upwards if I ever get out this hole

Something you guys might have missed, (probably not but I may as well provide my spin of the story).

If you paid BPF in full and not by direct debit, you will have to wait it out because you can't freeze an account that is already closed :(. Rang them up earlier got the same message "finding alternative course". I asked whether it's possible to get a refund and she said to wait until we find someone and if they don't then they'll "possibly" look into refunding.

Sorry if this is old news, but I had to get it off my chest.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3921 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks