Housing benefits claim

donnygreenjeans
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope this post is in the right section? To cut a long story short i got dismissed from my job yesterday for gross misconduct i've read that it will be possible that i wont get any JSA for about 26 weeks, at the moment i am tenant living with now my ex work colleague and have done so for the past 3 years, i/we have signed a legal tenant agreement document, i pay him £80 every week, we also keep a weekly record of the amount i pay each week, can myself or my friend claim anything towards what i pay?

Apply of JSA by ringing benefit claim line 08000 55 66 88, if your JSA get senctioned then apply for hardship payment. A hardship payment is a reduced amount of Jobseeker's Allowance which you may be able to get if you have been refused Jobseeker's Allowance, or your benefit has been stopped, because of doubts about whether you are available for and actively seeking work or you dont satisfy labour market conditions. You can also get them if you are waiting for the Jobcentre Plus office to decide whether you meet the jobs seeking conditions or if you have been sanctioned.

Dont forget to apply for Housing (or local housing allowance) and council tax benefit as well.

:-|Impossible is I'M Possible:lol:

If you think the advice given is useful then show your appreciation by clicking on the scales.

26 weeks is the theoretical maximum but it will usually be less.

You can still get housing and council tax benefit while sanctioned.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

You must apply for JSA now. A lot of people misunderstand and think they cannot "claim" for 26 weeks. The facts are that no matter when you actually submit a claim, if they are going to sanction you they will do, no matter how long you have waited to make a claim in the belief that you would not have been eligible.

The sanction, as Zamzara pointed out a sanction can vary in length and tha absolute maximum period of sanction for misconduct cases is 26 weeks. You can view information on JSA sanctions for misconduct here.

In regard to your housing benefit situation, this will depend on whether the council accept that the tenancy is not "contrived" - set up to take advantage of the housing benefit system. If your friend has always charged you rent and you have a tenancy agreement which can be legally enforced then yes they should pay you housing benefit provided your claim satisfies all of the conditions, such as the savings threshold. There is a lot of confusion in regard to whether a person should apply for "housing benefit" or "local housing allowance" if renting privately. You still claim "housing benefit", and if awarded, this is what you will get. The term "local housing allowance" is simply the new way it is calculated for private tenants.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

today one of my friends who sorted out our Tenancy agreement documentation has told me to say that i have fallen out with my parents and i have only just moved in with my friend because there is a chance i wont be able to get any benefit/money to help me pay my rent as he said that they might turn round and say that because i have lived there for the last 3 years then my friend can afford for me to stay? Is he right?

donny, a couple of things.

Some in this life may wish to call me a fool. That's fine by me. But honesty is always the best policy. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if my honesty brings me privileges or penalties. I will be honest.

The second point is that your friend confuses me somewhat. On the one hand he 'sorted out our tenancy agreement' and yet he has no faith in that agreement? He's advising you to lie? Surely, if you have a record that you pay your other friend - acting as landlord - then how can anyone turn around and say your friend can, out of the kindness of his heart, support you? Unless there is more here than meets the eye...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your situation. You are a lodger. HB will pay your rent if you are eligible.

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
tie poo

donny, a couple of things.

Some in this life may wish to call me a fool. That's fine by me. But honesty is always the best policy. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if my honesty brings me privileges or penalties. I will be honest.

The second point is that your friend confuses me somewhat. On the one hand he 'sorted out our tenancy agreement' and yet he has no faith in that agreement? He's advising you to lie? Surely, if you have a record that you pay your other friend - acting as landlord - then how can anyone turn around and say your friend can, out of the kindness of his heart, support you? Unless there is more here than meets the eye...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your situation. You are a lodger. HB will pay your rent if you are eligible.

Rae.

There is nothing going on that's the truth, to be honest when my friend mentioned about this so called story i thought what's he talking about as i've signed a legal tenancy agreement and i've also signed a rent book every week.