Ridiculously Overfilled Oil

slug56
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Just bought a car privately, which was serviced and MOT'd a couple of days before the change of ownership.

Had no reason to check the oil level since it had just been serviced, but did so today, a week after buying the car. To my horror, the oil level was as follows:

OilLevel.jpg

I rang the garage that did the service to explain the problem, and he showed little concern or urgency. Indeed he said he would not be able to book the car in for at least 2 - 3 days.

Obviously I don't want to be driving around with it at this level (but have already, unknowingly done 300 miles), so I am going to take it to a local garage first thing tomorrow to get the problem sorted.

Can I hold the garage that did the service liable for the cost of rectifying the problem? Or if worst comes to worst and permanent damage is caused to any part of the engine, can I hold this garage responsible?

Thank you and will keep this post updated.

Stuart

not being funny but if its not smoking [and i don't mean steam that you get this time of year] nor smells of burning, then i wouldn't bother, waste of money.

what is the capacity of your engine?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yep sorry should of clarified that.

it all depends on the size and type of engine.

if its an 500cc shoebox, then it might well hurt it, but if its a 2ltr OHC brick, then it won't.

TBH: you've done 300mls and not been alerted by anything and that dip stick and oil look clear and clean, safe bet it's ok.

two easy ways to tell are look for mayonaise on the inside of the filler cap or on the workings you can see inside the hole or look at the air filter for oil/black staining.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i would personally get it drained down to the correct level. i had a focus that was overfilled and if i remember correctly (don't hold me to this) it caused the crankshaft seal to go , might have have been the sump seal, thats the reason they have a maximum level on the dipstick , i don't think it's worth the risk in the long run.:)

Thanks for the replies :)

No smoking or burning smell,

It is a 500cc shoebox (well, 998cc!!),

Already checked for mayo under the filler cap - nothing.

Will check the filter as soon as I can,

Going to try get it drained this morning.

To be fair it hasn't shown any signs of damage. I guess I'm just annoyed more than anything that a garage can make such a fundamental error and not seem to care about it.

Thanks

they are pretty hardy, but i'd get a wee bit out, the seals will thank you for it.

dx

and they

Manufacturers don't give these marks for no reason. The oil level is determined by research and not because that dipstick fits the hole.

Won't cost more than a fiver to have this corrected, but should be done.

take it to a garage and ask to drain the oil a bit from the sump plug, five minute job, they might charge you they might not. too much oil can cause seals to go.

They don't even have to drain through the sump plug now. I have had the oil level lowered in a car before when it was a bit too high and they did it through the oil filler cap using a small rubber hose on a suction pump motor. Even quicker than the 5 minutes to get under the car at the drain plug and a nice clean job too. :)

Any damage caused would be down to you. It is one of the most basic checks you do when buying a car is to check the oil level. Clearly you didn't.

Too much oil is worse than not enough in many cases. None is catastrophic, but too much will cause hug pressure problems and the cahnces are with that level of oil that problems have at least been started.

Car was bought privately therefore no come back in this instance especially as the dealer didnt sell you it and there is no contract between you and them. Just get it checked for peace of mind and learn the lesson. A note of warning is that some dipsticks only show a little over max even if the engine is a long way overfilled.

Any damage caused would be down to you. It is one of the most basic checks you do when buying a car is to check the oil level. Clearly you didn't.

Too much oil is worse than not enough in many cases. None is catastrophic, but too much will cause hug pressure problems and the cahnces are with that level of oil that problems have at least been started.

Thanks - but the level was certainly checked before buying the car. After viewing, however, it was put through service and MOT so naturally it wasn't my first thought to check the oil after the service... After all, shouldn't a garage be capable of filling to the correct level?