• Tweets

• Is the letter headed Letter of Claim/before Claim or similar? If not, it sounds like more of the threatogram chain. If you're not sure, post up an anonymised copy of the letter and we'll check. HB
    • So guess what, we have received a final demand letter for £100. It states if payment is not made by 11/06 they will have no option but to forward the case to their litigation dept with a view to commence County Court Proceedings. So just wondering if anyone has any advice. Do we ignore this? or do we need to take action? Thanks 
    • hi dx, thanks for helping just re-reading everything this morning and I must have missed this one from uncle in his thread "What you should not do, is not contact the Banks and simply default on payments. "  are you in disagreement with this based on your last sentence?
    • Thanks for the reply and clarification, that might just explain why in my case contact has pretty much ceased. Though with such companies it doesn't mean they won't ever threaten to return to court as a tool to force one's hand if they feel they are not self informed on their chances etc.  But concerning how last year they tried to use the CCJ to get a charging order and the court granted an intirum order on our mortgage using the CCJ that would have been a good 2-3 months beyond the 6 years, should the court not have checked the age of the CCJ in the first case or would they always grant an interim order simply off the back of a CCJ being produced without even checking the age of it?.  Had I not defended that action at the time they may well have got a default using a CCJ older than 6 years which could be a concern going forwards. At the time when I contacted the court to question the paperwork for a final order application the clerk suggested people don't get informed when companies apply for interim charging orders, they are automatic if a claimant has a CCJ and people only get contacted once a date for a final order application goes through. kind of begs the question if such companies can continue a seemingly backdoor method to attempt default action if un-defended if the initial application doesn't need to check the age of a CCJ?.
    • Hello!  Wondering if someone can help with this.  I suspect not but worth a go.  I appreciate the "contract is with the seller" line, which is what Evri has fed me but wanted to see if someone with experience in these things could suggest anything else I could do here.  I appreciate there are many topics about lost parcels - My parcels weren't lost, until the driver walked up to my door with them and then decided to make them lost/stolen... I'll summarise what has happened.  Wednesday of last week - Evri delivery driver stole / walked off with 3 of my parcels.  -  Arrived outside my properly, took photos (3 separate photos as its 3 separate deliveries) of the tops of the parcels (pointlessly zoomed in on just the labels, couldn't see anything else, other than a small piece of the pavement and a little weed, which doubly confirms it was outside my door as I can see the same plant), marked the order as delivered and walked off with them.  He's marked on the Evri GPS marked that he was outside.   -  3 different deliveries, from the same company (same boxes etc.), but 3 separate tracking numbers. -  Went through the Evri bot which opened a case on each tracking number.  I then phoned them and left a voicemail explaining what had happened. -  24 hours later had a canned response asking me if the packages had turned up and to check around etc..  I responded explaining again what happened and that they've definitely been taken. -  4 days later,  this morning, I get a response telling me to ask the merchant to refund me. I've responded to this message with a long email, repeating what I said, that I believe the driver has stolen these packages and that he took those suspicious top down shots of the packages, marked them as delivered without ringing or knocking etc.  I've said that I expect them to investigate further, but I gather they won't. In my several messages to them initially and later, I told them I don't care about a refund and wanted the parcels.  They contain some sentimental stuff, nothing of high monetary value, hence me going to this trouble.  I only paid £25 for the contents. I did contact the merchant when this first happened and they asked me to wait a few days.  They ended up refunding me despite me asking them not to and that I wanted them to escalate it with Evri because this appears to be a case of theft.  They didn't seem bothered - Refunded me and told me to go back to Evri and escalate it with them? So - Is there any way to compel Evri to conduct a proper investigation with this driver?  Search for my parcels? I have quite a lot of deliveries handled by Evri (not out of choice) - They used to have a fantastic chap and I rarely had any issues.  He has been replaced by a new guy and I believe the route is handled by this same guy who I believe has taken my packages.  Naturally, I fear this is going to happen again in the future if no investigation occurs. Appreciate any assistance - Thanks for reading. Al.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Loan Arranged Through Intermediary For Limited Company

BobDuncan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I know it is something you may have heard before, but I have been, what I feel to be the victim of being too honest. I worked for a training company and my title was Director of Training and Courses. I was not a share holder of the company and I did not have any voting rights or anything. Suffice to say I trusted the person arranging a loan for the company. I was asked to sign as a witness, as the MD of the company arranged a loan. I was told there was no liability on me as the loan was a business loan being paid to the company. I had no reason to believe otherwise as I was shown that the monies were being paid into the company account and the monthly payments were arranged through a direct debit from the same account. Another loan was arranged after a couple of years and again I was asked to sign, although the details were given to me by the MD this time and I was told the intermediary had arranged it and all I had to do was sign again, same details etc. I have posted the rest of this elsewhere but been advised to start my own thread.

I used a company called Henderson & Barker and contacted them with a view to investigating the legality of a couple of loans made to the company I worked for and for which I do not accept liability. the first loan was arranged through an intermediary and paid into a Limited Company account. I was led to believe that I was signing as a witness and the said intermediary had his hand over the page indicating with his finger to sign here. He constantly told me as a limited company there was no liability on me for the loan as it was a company loan. A second loan was arranged as a consolidation of the first loan. This again was paid into the company account and the monthly payments were paid by the company. I had no reason to worry, that was until I was unfairly dismissed on 29 June 2007 and had to take my employer to court for such. Won my case after 10 months, awarded £29k but never had a penny of it.

Anyway, Henderson & Barker passed my case to their solicitors, Ultimate Law Ltd who sent all the papers for authorisation to act on my behalf for me to sign and return and I sent 2 x postal orders for £10.00 to get all the correspondence under the Data Protection Act etc from The Halifax. I received a letter from Ultimate Law dated 29 Nov 09 saying that on reviewing the paperwork the loan was unenforceable and they had written to Halifax saying that they had 28 days to respond. I contacted Ultimate Law at the end of October and they stated they had nothing back but would get on to it straight away. After a period of 3 more weeks I received a letter saying that Ultimate Law would no longer be dealing with my case as it was 'Too Far Progressed'. I telephoned them to enquire as to what Too Far Progressed meant. They just kept saying it was too far progressed and that was it. During all of this, they were fully aware of all the circumstances.

I requested all the paperwork they had on my case and they said all they had was the agreements and I should apply in writing for these to be sent back to me, which I did. By the way they were aware that Bank of Scotland (Halifax was taking me to court on 14 January 2010 for the full amount of the loan £20k+ and I was under the impression that Ultimate Law was formulating my defence on my behalf. This did not happen and at the Hearing on 14 January I was told that I had not filed a defence and judgement was to be made. I showed the court the letters I had from Ultimate Law and have now been given 28 days to file a full defence. What do I do now. The letter I sent to Ultimate Law has not been acted on and I am now back at the start. I am already going through a divorce over this, loosing my home and also lost my car. Any help would be appreciated and I do apologise for the short notice. I can't afford a solicitor as I barely cover the monthly bills.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just giving your thread a little nudge. I have also alerted the site team for you.

Have you started to prepare a defence. If you want to pop a draft up, we can have a look at it for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CitizenB,

As you can see, my case, to me is a bit of a minefield, I have never had to deal with anything like this before and feel like a fish out of water. All I can say is I have today telephoned Ultimate Law Solicitors Ltd and again been told that someone will call me back??. I know for a fact that if I again request the paperwork from Halifax they have 30 days to respond with the appropriate paperwork. I have been given 28 days to file my defence by 4pm on the 28th day. I have on three separate occasions requested via a letter to Halifax to be supplied with the name of the intermediary who started all this off with the arrangements for the loan. I have never been given this information. The MD of the company has filed herself as a bankrupt and sold her house, moved, changed her mobile (number unobtainable) and having spoken to a past colleague all the company paperwork has been disposed off?? I know the original documents were with the company, I had no reason to have a copy of what I thought was paperwork for company loans. It was only after her company was being sold to another person that I started getting paperwork to my home address and then the claims of the loans being personal loans began.

Hope this information helps to shed some more light on the case.

Bob D

By the way, the second loan was as I say a consolidation of the first and as such, the first loan was to be paid off, leaving one loan. As is evident, the first loan remained active and the monies paid into the company stayed in the company.

Bob

Crikey, it is a bit of a minefield isnt it.

I am not sure about being able to get more time. I will try and find someone to give advice.

What are we looking at here, around 10th February to have the new defence in by ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi BobD,

First step is to post here details of the Particulars of Claim against you, if you have this.

By what date must your defence be filed at court.

Are you being sued by the bank as a Guarantor to the loan(s) made to the Ltd Co.

If Henderson Barker still have any of your papers, send them a Rec'd Del'y letter saying they have failed to assist you in any way and you require the immediate return of your papers to allow you to defend the banks actions yourself.

Say you require the papers within 7 days or they will be cited in your defence to the court action as a reason for your being unable to respond properly to the Court Claim against you. Adapt the letter to suit your case but keep it brief.

You will have to put a Defence together but we can only work on this when you supply the info I've requested above.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for this.

I am already feeling more positive than I have for the past 6 months. I am contacting Henderson & Barker tomorrow as I have spent the weekend sorting all the paperwork out that I have. I have found the letter requesting the SAR from Halifax and as you state will give them 7 days to respond. I think it would be best to send an email requesting a receipt but will also send a backup copy of the email by post under recorded delivery.

No I did not sign the loans as a guarantor for the limited company, I was led to believe I was signing as a witness to the MDs signature. I have requested the name of the intermediary who I am sure was acting as an agent for the Halifax, 3 times from Halifax and although they have responded to my letters they have never given the information requested by me, I have spoken to a solicitor friend who has stated to me that there appears to be an element of fraud by both the MD and the intermediary.

The first loan was signed in the MDs office and not in a financial institution, am I correct in believing this should have been signed in a licenced premises for the purposes of arranging finance etc?

Once again thanks, I will sort out getting paperwork scanned and available to you.

Bob

Hi Bob,

You need to tell us exactly what their POC was on the Claim if you want help with a Defence.

You say you did not sign as a Guarantor. So why are the bank now suing you? Is it possible that the loan(s) were actually in your name personally.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I don't see why the bank have sued you if they loans were made to a Ltd Co. :confused:

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks Slick132, As I originally posted, the loans were arranged by an intermediary recommended by the MDs accountants, who say they can't remember who it was. I was under the impression and it was sold as such that the loans were for the company and nothing prior to my unfair dismissal led me to believe otherwise. The money was paid into the company account and the direct debits were from the same account. So from the time the loans were arranged until my unfair dismissal I was none the wiser. Once the company folded it was then claimed by Halifax that the loans were in fact personal loans, and the second loan papers clearly state this on the top. I was shown a line to sign on and this was pointed out which I signed (stupidly). I have contested this with Halifax from day one since finding this out. I will scan the particulars of the claim in today.

Bob

If you cannot read the attached. This is the first one received back in Oct 08 and it has been ongoing since.

The POC reads: The Claimant's claim is for 19943.48 presently due pursuant to a credit agreement entered into by the parties, full particulars of which have been supplied hitherto. By an agreement dated 6/6/05 the Defendant has an account number edited with the claimant. The Defendant hs failed or delayed to adhere to the terms of the Default Notice issued by the Claimant under the terms of the Consumer Credit Act 1874. The balance due as at 0// on said account is 19943.48.

I would also say that under the agreement, there was PPI taken out which they renaged on by saying as I was going to Employment Tribunal they would have to wait for the outcome of such. There is nowhere in the policy documents that state this and as such they have breached the contract anyway.

Bob

Edited by slick132
removed personal data

Sorry for adding more and more information. The original loan arranged through the intermediary is not at present being pursued and I have heard nothing for a considerable amount of time regarding this one? Although I feel that it is contributory to the facts, the second loan was meant to be a consolidation of the orignal loan.

Bob

Hi BobD,

The thumbnail is too small to read at all, which may be a good thing as you've left personal details showing (Claim No. and maybe other stuff).

I've also removed the a/c no. from your post above and please take care not to post sensitive personal data.

Remove the thumbnail asap. As you've confirmed what the POC's were, there's no need to repost them for now.

Do you have one or both of the loan agreements - if so, hide the personal data (name, address, a/c no, etc) and post them here so they can be checked over. See here for help with posting documents onto the forum - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Who do you mean when you say they, here " .... there was PPI taken out which they renaged on by saying as I was going to Employment Tribunal they would have to wait for the outcome of such. "

What I mean by 'they' - Halifax Insurance, organised the PPI under their own insurance scheme and they act totally independent of the Building Society. You can see the standard policy document on line which clearly shows no reference to Employment Tribunals etc. they claim I could not prove I was employed full time prior to my unfair dismissal which is rubbish as I supplied pay slips and bank statements showing continuous salary being paid in. Also the MD spoke to Halifax confirming my employment although they refute this. My tribunal was not about whether I was employed but who employed me at the time of my dismissal as at that time a company takeover was going on which fell through. This despite the fact that we had been taken on under TUPE regulations.

Bob

So did you, after being dismissed by the employer, claim for the PPI to make the monthly loan payments, and Halifax Insurance refused.

Can you confirm if you have one or both loan documents to post here.

ONLY HAVE SECOND LOAN, STILL TRYING TO FIND COPY OF FIRST LOAN AGREEMENT. Will upload the first one via photobucket. Claimed PPI but Halifax stated could not confirm employment therefore they cancelled the claim. Halifax would not pay up immediately as was the case with the Chelsea Building Society and their PPI, I was forced to take any job going to enable me to pay the mortgage. On winning my case 10 months later I informed both companies of the outcome and they took it upon themselves to reinstate the claims. Both insurances then paid 2 months payments as I had returned to work, albeit part time on minimum wage and having to work 12 - 13 hrs a day to be able to pay the mortgage and utility bills. Just to rub salt into the wound, Chelsea even tried to repossess my house because I fell behind with the monthly installments. Chelsea said the insurance was with Legal & General and therefore it was not their problem??

Sorry but I think I must initially concentrate on Halifax BS. As you can see from the agreement it does say to ensure that the loan is covered by insurance in case of not being able to work etc?? This is one of the first things you read

Bob D

Hi BD,

The doc'ts posted above are still too small to read at all.

Try using PhotoBucket and/or the POST IMAGE

insertimage.gif

symbol from the REPLY MENU.

:)

Hi BD,

I don't think you have a hope in hell of defending on the basis of being unaware or misled about this being a personal loan in your name.

It's signed in 3 places and 2 of the sig're boxes suggest the loan is personal to the signatory.

The company name is not visible anywhere and there's nothing that I can see to back up your suggestion that you were acting as a co-signer for the company.

When the loan was paid or drawn down, did it go first into your own a/c and then into the company, or was it paid direct into the company a/c. Do you have any evidence about how the money was paid over - this could be something to demand from the bank in response to their allegation.

I'll see if you have any defence regarding the way the loan was set up with regard to PPI premiums.

Edited by slick132
typo

Hi BD,

When replying, is there any more you can do to find out who the intermediary was that set up the loan for the MD or company.

Also, can you show that you did NOT receive the money into whatever personal bank accounts you were using at the time. If you can do this, then part of your defence could be to put Halifax to produce evidence of the a/c into which the loan was paid.

If it was paid into the company account, this would add weight to your arguments.

Hi Bob,

Further to the above, I sought expert advice on the credit agreement itself and have to report that it looks enforceable.

So any defence will need to rely on other factors, such as where the funds were credited, etc.