Parking ticket,please help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We got a parking ticket yesterday issued by the local authority for parking on a double yellow line.

I live on the outskirts of a small town in Dorset. For the last 7 weeks the road I live in has been dug up as they are replacing gas pipes or something. This has meant that around 60 houses have not been able to park outside their homes for this time.It is quite hard to park at the best of times,however since the road works it is a nightmare.

Yesterday I hurt myself and my partner had to take me to hospital for a suspected broken foot. We went to hospital,waited several hours to be seen,just to be told,yes we think you have a break,but the xray department is now shut,you will have to go to a bigger hospital which is half an hours drive away.

We came home first,my partner dropped me outside,as I had been given crutches and she went to park.( this was 6.15 in the evening and it was pouring with rain) We had to come home first before going to the other hospital,to let the dog out and thought we would have a quick cup of tea.

We left 30 mins later,my partner went to get the car,which was parked up a side road,out of the way,but on a yellow line. When she got to the car it had a ticket on it.

When these road works started,we were given no warning,or alternatives for parking. I can obviously prove that I had been to hospital. My question is,given all of the circumstances,would a stand a chance if I appealed the ticket and how does one go about it? Is there a letter template?

Many thanks in advance.

Fishtank1

I'm not an expert on parking, but it has to be worth at least a try, mentioning the 'dropping off with broken foot' but omitting the stopping for a cup of tea/let the dog out.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Hi.

It's worth appealing - there's not going to be a template which is much use. In a case like this, you would be appealing on mitigating circumstances, and asking the local authority to use their discretion.

The way to go about it is to write in, quoting the PCN number, and explaining what happened and why you felt you needed to leave the car there. Try and build into your account a plausible explanation of why your partner couldn't (for example) park around the corner where there are no yellow lines.

It will also help if you can include a copy of anything supporting your letter, which proves you were at hospital that evening - just to convince the person reading it that it is a truthful account.

In terms of your chances, I would say better than half. It's discretionary, so there can be no guarantees as to what decision they will make, but it's a fair case in my opinion. (Their only objection might be why the car was there for a full half hour - but no need to mention that! They only know it was there for a few minutes.)

If they say no, they will still allow you to pay at the discounted rate, or take the matter further if you wish.