Refund on Event Ticket

angelbud
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Not sure if this comes under any consumer law but looking for some advice....

I purchased a conference ticket for an event in france, the company is Uk based.

1 week before the event i advised that i was ill and possibly cannot attend and asked what there cancellation policy was as nothing is written on contract or receipt.

I was advised to get doctors cert and send in.

I notified them that i would not be attending and sent in doctors cert with covering letter 7 days prior to event.

I did not hear back until after the event - i was told that they do not offer refunds.

I asked for a copy of term and conditions which they sent to me - however none of this was produced/shown when booking my ticket.

Does this situation come under any UK consumer or business law?

Many Thanks

CJ

Just an observation - if no refund policy is specified, then you need to assume there isn't one. Doctor's notes etc are all very well, but the organiser can legitimately claim his only interest is bums on seats, and you should have had someone take up your slot.

I cannot think of any legistlation that would assist you, assumming the conference went ahead as booked. They completed their part of the transaction, it was you that did not take advantage of it, and as such need to claim on any insurances you had to cover the trip.

The problem i have is that i was advised that i could have a refund, and that a doctors cert would need to be produced with a covering letter - i was told that i would receive a reply after the event date - when i did i was advised no refunds.

I could of organised a replacement if i was told that they have a no refund policy - i was certain a refund would be made.

I just know you cannot prove their advice. (Great if you could).

I now record all my phone interractions because of issues like these, one staff member (probably temp) explains what htey think is a fair and reasonable solution to your problem to be 'helpful', and is either no longer there or told off for not following the company policy of no refunds.

Without proof, it becomes very much your word against theirs, and as they (probably) can point to their T&Cs that will support their position, it leaves you completely disadvantaged, leaving insurance as your only recourse.