• Tweets

• Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
    • Only trying to help.  Ain't being nasty.  Some
    • Hi folks, I've just found previous documentation. I thought it had gone missing. I'd forgotten that I did appeal it through POPLA but I can't find the thread on here that, I assume, I posted for help. Appeal letter is dated 27/10/2020 with a rejection. I genuinely had forgotten about this so apologies for misleading you. A lot has happened in the years since the ticket was issued. We closed down a couple of businesses and moved to the opposite end of the country to retire. The documents I have are scanned copies. I no longer have the originals. The NTK is also in there. If there's anything you'd like to see, please let me know and I'll post them, although it probably won't be until tomorrow now, but I'll be looking in on this page tonight. Thank you for the responses so far
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Santander Card/Loan

biscuits42
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all.... I'm looking for some advice if there's anyone that can help....

I have a Debenhams mastercard, and my partner an Asda loan, both now under Santander (formerly GE Capital) amongst other debts. Following advice found on this site, we sent CCA requests to all our creditors. We got all of them sent back and they all seem ok (except Egg, but we're getting to that separately) so we completed a budget sheet (income and expenditure) downloaded from National Debtline site and sent it off to each with a token offer of £1... the sheet showed we had no available income to pay creditors following my redundancy, but we figured offering token payments was a more viable solution. Our other three creditors all accepted fairly quickly, but Santander are being awkward. I'll separate out the two for easier reading.

First... Debenhams Card. Sent original offer and I&E sheet 19/09/09 and cancelled all direct debits. I also made the £1 payment offered and stated this in my first letter. 9/10/09 I sent a second offer letter as Santander said that they couldn't accept our offer as there had been a recent charge to the card (this was a £3 recurring payment I'd forgotten to cancel, but was about 4 weeks before first letter). 1/11/09 sent a third letter as I had had no response to second, but many, many phonecalls (we always refused to speak to them, just hung up) so reiterated in third letter that all correspondence must be in writing, and reiterated offer made. I have also continued to make the £1 payments each month and included a copy of the I&E in each letter. I have now received a letter from Santander stating that I must complete one of THEIR I&E sheets, which includes a list of "assets" they say we should complete... and return along with bank statements, utility bills etc to prove our financial situation. I have assumed that they are not entitled to this information and that they are simply fishing for a way out. So I have written back telling them that I have been informed (again information found on this site) that I am not required to provide any proof of my income/expenditure to them.

Second - Asda loan.

Initial letter sent a little later, as they were later sending CCA back. Their first offer letter and I&E went out 1/11/09 and I have received a letter from Santander dated 17/11/09 stating that they cannot help us as we have not provided any proof of our income and have returned my original letter (it's in my partner's name, but I do all the paperwork :D) with the I&E sheet attached and the words PROOF??? scribbled on it. They are again asking for all sorts of bank statements, bills, etc to prove our income.

My understanding is that only the courts can request this info, but I'm eager to avoid court and am concerned that even mentioning it in a letter will cause them to take such action. I was going to write back saying that I know they're not entitled to such info, and that the form I've sent them contains all relevant information and that only courts are entitled to any more, but I don't want them to say "Ok... off to court we go... " Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom on this?

The daft thing is our financial situation is probably worse now than when we filled in the form, albeit very slightly, but I still want to offer the token payments to show that I am prepared to make an effort to reduce the debt, however little we can afford.

Edited by biscuits42

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.... there may be a slight twist in this tale. After posting this, I was having a quick look around the site and decided to have a look at the CCA sent by Santander for the Debenhams card. It was originally a £500 store card, upgraded to a Mastercard a few years ago and I've had it since 1999. It's now around £9000. :(

They have sent a copy of my original application form which has a box at the bottom which states:

" This is a Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Sign it only if you want to be legally bound by its terms"

Then has space for signature, and my signature, along with the date. When I received this I assumed it to be accurate as it is indeed my signature, and the form I filled in instore to apply for the card. Also supplied on a separate (A3) sheet was a photocopy of something labelled Additional Conditions. This states "you will be considered for both a Debenhams Mastercard and Debenhams Storecard. If you are accepted the type of card offered will depend on your personal circumstances" which means it cannot possibly be my original T&Cs as the Debenhams Mastercard did not exist in 1999! Most concerningly (partly because this is the first time I've noticed it :eek:) is the blank square on one of the sheets that looks very much like someone put a piece of paper between the original and the photocopier to blank something out. Here are links to copies of the documents sent. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent on 1 A4 sheet... copy of application form

debenhams1.jpg

For some reason the next two were sent side by side on one A3 sheet of paper?

debenhams2.jpg

debenhams3.jpg

Edited by biscuits42

Also can anyone clarify on the CCA... I've been reading around the site and the general consensus seems to be that an application form is not a CCA, but does that still count if the application form states that it is also a CCA... The credit was available immediately for purchases in store, so I don't think I ever received anything else to sign... just this that was done there and then. The next step was the actual card arriving, but the goods we purchased on the day were added to the account straight away. Would this affect the application form/CCA rules?

Hi Biscuit,

I think for the present time you are in the correct forum. :D

Yes, you are correct, you are not legally obliged to provide Santander or any other creditor with such personal financial information. Only a court can order you provide this and it wouldnt be to Santander but an officer of the court who would be looking at it.

Do you have a current account with the Santander group ?. If so, I would be inclined to start a Basic bank account with another group.

I cant offer much help with your documents, so I will try and find someone who can help. :)

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi buscuits

the first page is a valid consumer credit agreement for a credit card. It has your signature, the terms prescribed in schedules 1 and 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 and a valid "Your right to cancel" box. It is therefore properly executed and enforceable. The other 2 pages are irrelevant.

Some might argue that it should be headed "Credit Card Agreement...." but that wouldnt make any difference to its ultimate enforceability

Biscuits,

take the account number off your agreement, people do watch.

Is this the same account number as your current card?

If it isn't we were in the same boat and have asked for a copy of the credit agreement relating to our present card. I was told that a credit agreement should be produced and signed by you when you upgrade etc.

Our application form had the old number on and this is what Howard Cohen will rely on in court. Our defence sorry Judge but that card does not exist ask the Claimant to check, it was closed in 2001 and another card opened with a completely new number but unfortunately no credit agreement exists!!!!

Thanks for replies...

CitizenB... no, no current account with Santander, just the card and the Asda loan. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about their requests for more personal financial info.

steven4064... thanks for confirming that. I had a feeling it would be enforceable since as far as I could tell it had all the prescribed terms, but did noticed a lot of people had been sent application forms that weren't valid CCAs so wanted to check.

Hammyhound... the account number on that agreement hasn't been accurate for many years... the actual account number that is current is the 3rd or 4th I've had after a problem a while ago where they called to advise that my card security had a suspected breach so they issued a replacement.

Do you think I should be arguing the case for a CCA for my new card number? Or at the very least an agreement for the Mastercard that the original storecard was converted to... the application/agreement above is for the original storecard.

Well what have you got to lose, that is what we are arguing, surely when you take out a new card you should have received a new agreement to sign. I bet if you rang Santander and gave that account number they will say "it is a closed account". I like others have said this all along, If they rely on that credit agreement, there is no balance and therefore no debt. They must produce a credit agreement with your current account number on together with the terms and conditions that came with that card.

HH

• Haha 1

The T&Cs that they sent are the ones for my current card ( I think ) as they mention the Debenhams Mastercard, and whilst I forget exactly when it was converted, it was certainly several years after the original store card agreement and the Debenhams Mastercard didn't exist in any form back then, there was just the store card. I seem to remember receiving a letter to say that they intended to start up the Mastercard option and saying that if I did nothing it would automatically convert, and if I wanted to remain with the storecard I'd have to call them. The interest rate on the proposed Mastercard was lower so I left it and received the new card shortly after.

I'll write to them asking why they have sent a CCA for an account which no longer exists... my letter did ask for the CCA for the current Mastercard account number, obviously not the long gone store card account... it didn't occur to me that that wasn't what they'd sent. Thanks HH! Will give it a go - nothing to lose I suppose.

From what you are saying they changed the entire account from storecard to mastercard, with a new account number to boot.. So yes, I too would be asking where is the new agreement I signed.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

CitizenB... yes, that's exactly what happened. I'll get a letter off to them asking why they haven't fulfilled my original request as my letter stated the current card account number, not the old store card one, so technically what they have sent is incorrect. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks to all for the advice :D

I have a quick question about the letter I'm about to send... should it be another CCA request with £1 included and the usual timescales, or should I just send one telling them they have failed to comply and giving them another timescale? If the latter, what should the timescale for compliance be? TIA

Oh and I forgot to mention that they have sent me a default notice for this account

Edited by biscuits42

biscuit, no you are not sending another CCA request.. you are sending a chaser asking them why they havent complied with the original request sent on ...... you can give them any time you like, but I would say, either 7 or 10 days.

Can you remove any identifying parts from the default notice and post it up for us to have a look at.

BCOBS

Thanks CitizenB. I've done a scan of the default letter I received (which also came with the standard OFT information leaflet and was received the day after I sent the follow up letter on 1/11/09 so a bit of a cross over I think). I've also looked over the original letter I received in response to my CCA request - it clearly says:

"Please find enclosed a true copy of your original agreement opened under reference xxxxxx (and lists my original storecard account number), together with a copy of the Terms and Conditions" (which were only recent T&Cs, not original ones).

debenhamsdefaultnotice.jpg

biscuit, the notice is not compliant with the regulations in that is says

"To remedy this breach you must pay the arears within 14 days from receipt of this notice."

What happens if you didnt receive it until a week next Christmas ??. They have to put a specific date and make allowances for the method of postage.

ie 2 working days for 1st class

4 working days for 2nd and UK mail service.

Do you know if there are any charges/late payment fees in the sum they are requesting ?

BCOBS

I did wonder how they'd know when I actually received it. It's dated 27/10/09 but didn't arrive til 2/11/09!

I'm pretty sure there are late payment fees and charges as they've so far refused to confirm whether they will hold these. The other Santander account we have (Asda loan) following CCA just sent us a letter saying that they wouldn't hold charges etc as we weren't making min payments (which I'm guessing is going to be their response on the Debenhams account too)

I am thinking it might be a good idea for you to invest £10.00 and send a Subject Access Request to Santander (or whoever) and ask for EVERYTHING they have in respect of these accounts, including statements, copy contracts, etc. You might just find something interesting

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/576-subject-access-request-debt-a-dca

HTH

BCOBS

Thanks for the advice CitizenB - think I'll do that, but will also send the letter notifying them that I'm disputing the account til they send me a correct CCA alongside it. Having read through the link that you provided, it states that I should send a £10 postal order, is there a specific reason cheques aren't mentioned? Is it a bad idea to send a cheque? Obviously there's the signature issue, but I thought of getting my partner to sign it as it's a joint account... or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice CitizenB - think I'll do that, but will also send the letter notifying them that I'm disputing the account til they send me a correct CCA alongside it. Having read through the link that you provided, it states that I should send a £10 postal order, is there a specific reason cheques aren't mentioned? Is it a bad idea to send a cheque? Obviously there's the signature issue, but I thought of getting my partner to sign it as it's a joint account... or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks again.

No reason you shouldnt be able to send a cheque if it has been signed by someone else :D It is easier tracked than a postal order.

I think mostly, a lot of people dont have cheque books now aside from the signature issue which is why postal orders are suggested.

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...

I sent the SAR on 30th Nov, along with a letter for the Asda loan stating that we would not be completing their I&E form as we had already submitted more information than we were required to. Santander have now sent a letter from the Asda loan stating that they have not yet received our completed I&E and that we must return it for our request for reduced payments to be considered. They have made a big point of stating that they are continuing to add interest and charges to the account and will do so until we send them their I&E form back completed... they are also demanding that we send evidence along with it. The letter closes by saying that the hold which has been placed on the account (which we knew nothing about as they haven't mentioned this til now) will be removed if we haven't complied within 14 days and "collections activity will resume". Not sure where to go from here... do I just send back another letter telling them they've had all the info they're going to get? I don't want to encourage them to begin court proceedings or anything as the debt is for less than £4,000.

I, as yet, haven't received the info requested from Santander re: Debenhams card following my subject access request.

Following on from yesterday's post - I forgot to mention that they haven't really called since my last letter in which I threatened formal complaint for harrassment. However, this afternoon I've had a call from someone called Viking Services saying they're calling on behalf of Santander. I've refused to speak to them and advised that I'm awaiting a response to a subject access request and that I will only deal with them in writing. Then I hung up before he could say anything else. Does this mean Santander have passed the debt onto a DCA? How does this affect my SAR?