Please Help Urgent! Council Tax & Bailiffs!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few months ago, i received a letter from my council stating that i owed approx. £4.000 in council tax, then about 1 month later received a letter from a Bailiff company (Phoenix Commercial Collections) ordering me to pay the outstanding balance of approx. £5.000 (obviously there fee's added on!!) So i phoned them and asked how i could pay this off, and they said they were only willing to accept £500pr month over the course of 10 months (which i cannot in no shape or form afford!) Now today they have been back and posted a second notice, with the outstanding balance of approx £4.000 ( again) and it stated that they were coming back tomorrow to collect payment.. The letter also states :

"Authorised by the Local Authority to enforce in respect of a Liability Order issued by the Magistrates Court"

Now I have read up other peoples stories on here and am confused with the liability order from a magistrates court. Can they legally break into my home? Could anyone clear this up and advise me on the best course of action to take from here.. ASAP

Thank you so much..

under no circumstances let the bailiff get a levy

this is very important you are worth a lot of money to the bailiff as the more you owe the more they get in levy fees then they will set your payment to high so you will default and they will get a van fee

i presume this is more than one years debt if it is they will charge you fees for both accounts (they are not allowed to do this but they work on the assumption that you don't know that )

don't listen to anything the bailiffs says no matter how scary it sounds (machine gun talk from a water pistol :D) the bailiff has no power (until he gets a levy )

don't let them in your house keep your doors locked even when you are at home

keep your windows closed

if you have a car that is not on HP or a mobility car keep it very well hidden away from the house

if you have anything in your garden move it and i mean anything even if its an old spade move it

greenhouses,sheds& garages should be kept locked

write to the council offer them xx amount per week tell them you are not refusing to pay this debt but xxx is all you can afford send a payment with letter(recorded delivery) cheque or postal

they will write back and tell you deal with the bailiffs ( don't )

keep paying the council any way can cheque postal order on-line

the bailiff will eventually send the debt back to the council how long this will take will depend on the council and the bailiff

you will have bailiffs fees for visits £42.50 in total( if they )don't get a levy and they will have to be paid eventually

ok... so im ignoring the bailiff and solely communicating with the council..Will get in contact with the council regarding the debt as you said, and hopefully this can get sorted.. it was a very tricky situation with the death of my partner and moving home that created this debt in the first place, about 5 yrs ago. Don't need this extra stress...

Thanks for the advice.. Its seriously appreciated! :).. will be sure to post with any outcomes/advances...

dont speak to the baillif or council on the phone unless you can record the call send everthing recorded delivery keep a paper trail and keep your MP in the loop at all times

send an e-mail to your MP explain your circumstance's send him a copy of any letters you have from the bailiffs and the letter you are sending the council ask him to intervene on your behalf to set up an affordable payment plan with the council

and keep at him if you get no reply

1) he needs your vote

2) he gets well paid by you

3) everyone who had a problem with bailiffs and council tax debt should get in touch with there MP

1) I have just received the letter from debt recovery to pay the council tax arrears relates to more then 8 years ago.

2) At that time I was living with other students. I don;t know where are they now ?

3) Now i received the letter at my current address adressing with other 2 of my friends name who are not living with me. Can debt recovery agency send the letter adressing other people name to my address who is not the premises ?

4) Apart from that debt recovery lettery i haven't received any letter relates to council tax arrears.

5) The debt recovery letter doesn't mentioned the period of concil tax arrears but I only find its relates to 8 years ago. Even the period what they have mentioned by telephone..i was there only for half of the period but my friends were there when i left. I didn't know when they left the premises.

6) I don't have any tenancy agreement paper neither i remember whether we did the tenancy agreement paper or not ? Even we did the tenancy agreement paper how many of we signed on the agreement ? Even we did the agreement whether it was one agreement or separate agreement i can't remember because it was more than 8 years old .

7) When i phoned to council they informed me they have posted series of letters from feb 08 to my current address. But i haven't received any of that. I request i need to establish first whether i am liable for not so please send the tenancy agreement paper and all the documents what you have correspondent to my address. They informed they do have a agreement document. But denied to post any previous correspondance letter including summon and tenancy agreement. I have been informed due to legal reason they can't provide me. Only they can provide me the invoice.

8) Liability order is issued in 3 persons name (including my self) but at that time more than 3 persons were there.

9) All the room door's had a lock system, all of we were not the part of same family background and sharing main entrance, hall, toilet and bathrooms . Doesn't it qualify for Multiple occupancy ?

Would you please how am i going to deal the case ..neither council is providing any documents nor do i have ....Isn't it council responsibillity to proof i am liable..i am wonder what kind of document council has submitted to court to obtain the liabiity order ?

1) I have just received the letter from debt recovery to pay the council tax arrears relates to more then 8 years ago.

2) At that time I was living with other students. I don;t know where are they now ?

3) Now i received the letter at my current address adressing with other 2 of my friends name who are not living with me. Can debt recovery agency send the letter adressing other people name to my address who is not the premises ?

4) Apart from that debt recovery lettery i haven't received any letter relates to council tax arrears.

5) The debt recovery letter doesn't mentioned the period of concil tax arrears but I only find its relates to 8 years ago. Even the period what they have mentioned by telephone..i was there only for half of the period but my friends were there when i left. I didn't know when they left the premises.

6) I don't have any tenancy agreement paper neither i remember whether we did the tenancy agreement paper or not ? Even we did the tenancy agreement paper how many of we signed on the agreement ? Even we did the agreement whether it was one agreement or separate agreement i can't remember because it was more than 8 years old .

7) When i phoned to council they informed me they have posted series of letters from feb 08 to my current address. But i haven't received any of that. I request i need to establish first whether i am liable for not so please send the tenancy agreement paper and all the documents what you have correspondent to my address. They informed they do have a agreement document. But denied to post any previous correspondance letter including summon and tenancy agreement. I have been informed due to legal reason they can't provide me. Only they can provide me the invoice.

8) Liability order is issued in 3 persons name (including my self) but at that time more than 3 persons were there.

9) All the room door's had a lock system, all of we were not the part of same family background and sharing main entrance, hall, toilet and bathrooms . Doesn't it qualify for Multiple occupancy ?

Would you please how am i going to deal the case ..neither council is providing any documents nor do i have ....Isn't it council responsibillity to proof i am liable..i am wonder what kind of document council has submitted to court to obtain the liabiity order ?

you need to start your own thread!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...