Introducing adult cats.... any bright ideas?

PriorityOne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Rattle cans are definitely a no no for cats, but in extreme aggression between cats a quick squirt with a water pistol can avert serious bites and is far safer, kinder and less stressful than grabbing them, chasng them off or shouting at them, in my opinion. They're not aware where it's come from if you do t right, so it doesn't associate it to you and spoil the relationship either. Obviously it's only a last resort aid to prevent injury.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've used the water pistol idea quite succesfully in the past when one of mine wanted to poo in the indoor plants

That's a completely different thing altogether. If you use it when trying to introduce cats you are reinforcing the idea that sharing space with a new cat is an unpleasant experience.

Edited by hightail
quote added for clarity

I've used the water pistol idea quite succesfully in the past when one of mine wanted to poo in the indoor plants. She eventually associated going to the plant pot with being squirted and stopped doing it. She was only squirted once each time... and that was enough.

Used to have a cat years ago that did that. I had to cover all the plant pots with tinfoil to stop it. As I have house cats now, I just err on the safe side and don't have any plants. A friend's cat chewed on a lily plant she had and it was in the vets for days before she was sure it would survive.

I use a water spray on one of mine as he has a thing about chewing wires, but wouldn't use it on introductions for same reasons as Hightail gives.

I think they have to get through the growly phase to sort out who will be boss cat - but it isn't easy to watch!

A friend's cat chewed on a lily plant she had and it was in the vets for days before she was sure it would survive.

Apparently the long stamens (is that right?) in the middle of the lillies are poisonous to cats.... When I had a bunch of flowers bought for me a while back, I cut these out of the lillies to be on the safe side.

:)

Even minor cat bites are highly likely to become infected

Cats rarely cause that much damage to each other. Don't assume that the 'growly phase' is going to turn into a teeth and claws battle. It's a warning sign with dogs but a far more complicated communication with cats.

Cats rarely cause that much damage to each other. Don't assume that the 'growly phase' is going to turn into a teeth and claws battle. It's a warning sign with dogs but a far more complicated communication with cats.

Yes, its never turned into flying fur with any of mine ... I've had them growl and threaten with arched backs but one always backs off. Never had actual fighting. So, fingers crossed that yours are the same.

ALL parts of lilies are horribly poisonous to cats. The pollen is the worst bit but even chewing a leaf is going to make a cat very ill. Cats v lilies = cats losing most of the time. This particlar case was very lucky

She was very lucky. It made me so paranoid that I don't have any flowers in the house, mum does well out of it as any flowers I am given go straight to her house! Most people know to buy me chocolate instead though.

It made me so paranoid that I don't have any flowers in the house

You don't have to go that far - long-stemmed roses are just fine :)

All bulbs are poisonous to cats in varing degrees so you won't go far wrong if you avoid any flower that starts out as a bulb.

We have a visiting cat. He hasn't got a cat door, so visits us regularly and he is a lovely boy, but he definitely prefers humans to cats. He generally gets on well with my two girlcats, who are pretty laidback, but there was a terrible fight last month with him and one of mine on their sides on the floor and claws out and trying to bite each other's throats. Wish I had thought of the water pistol, or even a mug full of water, but pulled them apart and blood (mine :eek:) everywhere.

Next time they saw each other they were fine. My scars healed nicely.

• Haha 1

The thing to remember with cats is that, like dogs, they will develop their own pecking order, regardless of what you would prefer.

One will always become dominant to the others. The dominant one will proceed to let the others know it.

I think that situation will be more stressful to you than to the cats.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

The thing to remember with cats is that, like dogs, they will develop their own pecking order, regardless of what you would prefer.

One will always become dominant to the others. The dominant one will proceed to let the others know it.

I think that situation will be more stressful to you than to the cats.

Yes.... it bothers me to see my little Ollie behaving like such a weed.:(

He sensed that Mum cat was around this evening and went straight back out through the cat flap. She is fast becoming the dominant personality, but is not an aggressive creature, so I'll have to persevere with it... :(

It is very early days yet and that could change when they settle. A lot of mum cat's aggression will be from fear and nerves, so when she starts to feel a bit more settled and secure she may calm down.

If you persevere, you can do anything.

Some years ago, I took in a 7 or 8 month-old third- generation feral cat.

It took a few months work, but I reached the stage with him of being able to pick him, flip him over on to his back and tickle his belly. He turned into a really lovely cat. He was always a bit nervous of strangers, but not suprising, really.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi Elsa and Jan, :)

It's a slow, slow process...

We had more introductions yesterday. Ollie was still very uncomfortable with Mum cat around and growled.... but it was a more of a gentle growl. Mum cat growled gently as well but I continued to shush her as before and she soon stopped. She then settled on the bed where he was laying and I was able to remove my hands from her completely and talk gently to them both. Mum cat was very relaxed and happy, but I was aware that if Ollie flew off the bed in a hurry, that she would probably fly after him... which I didn't want.

My daughter and I stayed with both of them for a while and Ollie's face appeared to relax... but only a BIT... lol. His eyes were not so startled and he blinked a few times; breaking eye contact, so to speak. After a while, I then picked Mum cat up and took her back out.

Ollie was ok... and didn't jump down and rush out like before, so we decided to bring the kitten in and see what the reaction would be. Kitty spat, but avoided eye contact.... so Ollie is the dominant one there, which is good. We only brought kitty in for around 5 minutes though, as I didn't want to overload Ollie too much.

When I went back in afterwards though, Ollie had taken himself out through the catflap. He came in during the night (when the others were shut in the conservatory for the night), but didn't come into my room; only my daughters.... but he had a fuss, so that seemed good.

He also came in today for some food, but caught sight of Mum cat and took himself straight out.... but Mum cat didn't chase him out.... so I was pleased with her.

Still not sure if I'm getting anywhere... I've still got my female cat to introduce yet!! :eek:

I must be absolutely MAD!!! :rolleyes:

It does sound as though it is getting slightly better though. I think you will get there in time.

I do wonder whether opening the door of the room where she is kept and shutting the cat flap and leaving them to it would help speed things up as they're not fighting. Or isn't that possible because of the kitten?

It does sound as though it is getting slightly better though. I think you will get there in time.

I do wonder whether opening the door of the room where she is kept and shutting the cat flap and leaving them to it would help speed things up as they're not fighting. Or isn't that possible because of the kitten?

I'm not sure.... although this is the first time I've given all of them the freedom to come in and out and mingle if they choose to throughout the day. I couldn't have done that before because Mum cat would have chased...

My female cat is an outdoor cat most of the time, but seemed to be unphased by being chased last time.... but no-one has been chased today so far. When Ollie begins to look a little less spooked, I'll consider shutting the cat flap, but I'm trying not to stress him too much.

My stress levels, on the other hand, are sometimes through the roof!... lol

My stress levels, on the other hand, are sometimes through the roof!... lol

yes, animals have a tendency to do that to us!!!

I've spent the afternoon trying to calm my mum down because her cat was run over today and she is devastated.

Thanks.

Cat was killed but at least it was outright so she didn't suffer. She was only about 5 but was a cat that wouldn't be kept in. Some are OK as housecats, some are miserable so you can't force it. All you can do is give them a good life whilst you have them.

I know she will miss her a lot. I can guarantee she'll be asking me to take her to the cat sanctuary for another one - hopefully an older one that is happy staying in or one that's had an hard life and appreciates staying in.

Awwww so sorry about that Jan.

I know how she must feel :(

I hope when she's over the pain she will get another rescue cat as you say. Good owners are hard to find. We can only do so much to protect them, unfortunately.So sad when it happens like that, 5 is very young for a cat..mine's over 20!

Elsa xx