• Tweets

• Hi, I have the Sims 4 on Macbook. Over the last year I have paid for multiple add on packs spending a lot of money on them. I bought them all in good faith as my Mac met all the minimum requirements to play them. I have been playing happily for about a year and bought my latest pack just over a week ago. The games were all working fine yesterday. Then suddenly today EA released a new app to launch the games and this new app requires a MAC OS that my computer cannot use. Now suddenly none of my games are accessible and I am unable to play anything. They did not warn us about this change in requirements and if I had known they would be doing this I wouldn't have bought all these add ons as they are now all totally unusable. The games themselves have not changed, only their app to launch them and I can't afford to buy a brand new mac just to play. So my question is how can they change the minimum requirements after I have paid for a game? I agreed to pay for them based on the fact my mac met their requirements and was not informed when purchasing that this would be an issue in the future. I understand new games (like Sims 5 which is to be released next year) might not be compatible but this is a 10yr old game that they have suddenly made inaccessible due to their new launch app. Does anybody know if I can do anything or anyway to get a partial refund from them? Thanks   Here are their T&C... I can't find anything in there about them being able to do this so not sure what to do https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/
    • OK. Thank you all for the input.  I'll ignore their letters of demand but NEVER ignore a letter of claim. I'm bracing myself for the stress as their demands £££ goes up and the case gets sent to debt collectors. 
    • OK.  It was worth a try. Their case is still pants and they have broken their own Code of Practice numerous times.
    • @BankFodder sorry for the delay and thank you for the lengthy reply. Yes, I agree. It's a small business and the guy is very very decent. I know someone else said my priority shouldn't be worrying whether he gets shafted but I'm not here to try and screw him over because I feel like if someone behaves decently and gets exploited, they might not behave so kindly in the future. I know DX mentioned he thinks I've caused the issue by leaving multiple instructions, but I have already explained why and both instructions were to leave it with a neighbour and there was nothing advising the driver to abandon the parcel on my doorstep. I don't think leaving it there could be considered a safe place.  I am still waiting on the retailer to respond. Ultimately, I wanted to know how he would proceed if DPD's response isn't favourable. I am certainly not looking to cause any problems. I just want my laptop. I will read the other posts for sure. I've been a bit preoccupied with family stuff. I have nothing in writing from DPD as I phoned them, but they did advise it should be the retailer that liaises with them. I tried contacting the driver straight after deliver via Whatsapp, as that's an option, but it said I couldn't send him a message and I have kept that log. We all know who took the parcel on our street, because that person has a history of parcel theft, but I don't have a doorbell camera or cctv. Police are refusing to intervene, despite the fact that I, along with several other people, spotted another's neighbour's parcel in said "suspect's" car and confronted her to get the parcel back. If the police had acted sooner, I might have had a better chance of getting the parcel back, but I suspect the laptop has long been sold on.  When the retailer responds, I will send him the link to this thread. Hopefully, he will benefit from the information on here as well.
    • @dx100uk none of the instructions advised them to leave the parcel on my door step and without such instructions., I'm struggling to see why they think it's ok to just dump it there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Exhausted with this mess

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just been offered a compromise agreement and have been asked what I may be looking for,obviously this will need in incorporate us looking for a place to live, Can anyone please help as to how you determine a figure on this

I have just been offered a compromise agreement and have been asked what I may be looking for,obviously this will need in incorporate us looking for a place to live, Can anyone please help as to how you determine a figure on this

Don't think small figures!

I suspect they have realised just what a mess they have made of things. the months of harrassment against you they have failed to stop, and failed to protect you from and so on.

Someone with knowledge will need to advise, but I suspect that PDF file well be a nice bargaining chip too. Or you could let it be known to the tenants that you know have the names of exactly who has been causing trouble and will be taking legal action ;)

I don't know how to calculate fair figures, but with your evidence, and the fact that you could seriously turn them over at a tribunal, I wonder if 7-10 months full pay as compensation might not be too unreasonable.

Remember, its not just the whole constructive dismissal thing, but the harrassment you have been through, their failing to protect you, and to deal with the false complaints in a timely manner, how they have treated you, the fact that they have treated you so badly when any allegations from a tenant who had actually assaulted you and clearly had a grudge and mental issues should have been taken with a pinch of salt, and so on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i would get a solicitor to go over the compromise agreement with you and have them add to the agreement that they would pay your solicitors and legal fees too. That way theyd pay the solicitor an not you and the solicitor will beable to tell you exactly what you should be getting out of this and negotiate the agreement in order to achieve that.

basically tell them to put there offer on the table and that you expect them to pay cost for your solicitor (which you expect them to state in their offer) to go over it with you and then negotiate a final agreement.

Edited by teaboy2
added paragraph

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

The company know if this goes to tribunal with all the facts and proof of documentation, the bullying and harrassment.

And now with the new investigation notes identifying the same sources of allegations the man who assaulted me ect.

They clearly show that they never showed that they were trying to defend me or act impartially it is disgusting reading that a company can stick the boot in to a innocent person just because its more hassle then to protect the people who they provide a service too.

And now although we want to get out we have to uproot and find somewhere to live, I am so angry

Wally, the way I see it is this - you have now lost your faith in human beings, this has changed the way you see people, therefore you don;t feel you will ever be able to return to the caring profession. Then subtract your age from retirement, and there's a starting figure, you want lost salary for those years! That's what I'm doing, whether or not we get it is a different thing. But they soent months putting the fear of god up you, now you can turn the tables.

Good luck and don;t be too hasty. An d don;t hand over that document!

and dont loose all your fave in human beings either becuase you stil got us guys and girls on cag 100% behind you along with the residents that have spoken out publicly to support you :), but defiently get a solicitor to go over any compromise agreement and to dicuss what you should have in such an agreement with regards to what you get out of it.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Thanks so much, your right I have lost my faith in human beings and will never be who I was, and I am going to stick by my guns, the document is very safe. Feel very nervous about meeting

Thanks everyone so much, where are you with your sit Jackie and wayne

I know it is easy to say, and difficult to do, but when you attend the meeting try and take control and put them on the defensive.

Start off by saying that since you have resigned you are only attending as a good will gesture. Try and say this before anyone else speaks.

Immediately after present any proof you have that the 5 people in the statement were telling lies. Point out that you were assaulted by a resident, who is still causing trouble, and that they also have a duty of care towards employees.

Don't shout or swear, just keep talking in a matter of fact way, firing questions and statements at them.This will put you in control.

Don't agree to any proposals they put forward, however tempting. Say you need to take legal advice.

Between now and Monday, rehearse in your mind what you are going to say.

Good luck - you deserve it.

I know it is easy to say, and difficult to do, but when you attend the meeting try and take control and put them on the defensive.

Start off by saying that since you have resigned you are only attending as a good will gesture. Try and say this before anyone else speaks.

Immediately after present any proof you have that the 5 people in the statement were telling lies. Point out that you were assaulted by a resident, who is still causing trouble, and that they also have a duty of care towards employees.

Don't shout or swear, just keep talking in a matter of fact way, firing questions and statements at them.This will put you in control.

Don't agree to any proposals they put forward, however tempting. Say you need to take legal advice.

Between now and Monday, rehearse in your mind what you are going to say.

Good luck - you deserve it.

and that any proposal they make is to be in the form of a compromise agreement, in which they include their acceptance to pay your legal cost and that the compromise agreement is open for negotiation. that will allow you to show your solicitor it and negotiate a better compromise and total amount in damages.

Thankyou everyone, I would just like a figure in my head, especially following the document where compainants were identifyed the same source so it clearly shows no impartial investigation took place just a further witch hunt, they want me out of my house as quickly as possible as I guess potentially I could now bring a case against the complainants for slander and fictitious lies.

Not easy finding somewhere to live quickly so I will need to private rent

Thankyou everyone, I would just like a figure in my head, especially following the document where compainants were identifyed the same source so it clearly shows no impartial investigation took place just a further witch hunt, they want me out of my house as quickly as possible as I guess potentially I could now bring a case against the complainants for slander and fictitious lies.

Not easy finding somewhere to live quickly so I will need to private rent

As i said once you see your solicitor between you both you wil beable to come up with a reasonable figure for damages/compensation.

Wally, they can want on with regards to the house, they'll have to take you to Court for possession. Ask your solicitor what he thinks about seeing Shelter for help with the house, and of course, part of your compromise agreement now includes somewhere to live!

Wally, they can want on with regards to the house, they'll have to take you to Court for possession. Ask your solicitor what he thinks about seeing Shelter for help with the house, and of course, part of your compromise agreement now includes somewhere to live!

yeah absolutely. get it so its them buying you a house in the compromise. But dont forget to invite the guys and girls here that have helped you to the house warming lol :D

Well had my meeting yesterday, stayed very calm they gave me a figure and talked a lot about corporate law saying it couldnt be any hegher due to something with insurance, they said have a think about it and gave me a draught copy of compromise agreement which I am taking to my solicitor toda to have a look.

Anyhow my self and husband discussed it last night and we have upped the amount of which they offered, they are now not responding however my acknowledgement letter from tribunal came to day also saying they accept the claim, what do I do now??

Well had my meeting yesterday, stayed very calm they gave me a figure and talked a lot about corporate law saying it couldnt be any hegher due to something with insurance, they said have a think about it and gave me a draught copy of compromise agreement which I am taking to my solicitor toda to have a look.

Anyhow my self and husband discussed it last night and we have upped the amount of which they offered, they are now not responding however my acknowledgement letter from tribunal came to day also saying they accept the claim, what do I do now??

once you and your former employer agrees to a compromise agreement then you will have to put a stop to the tribunal claim, but until an agreement is reached keep the tribunal claim open. they should have provided you with details as to what you need to do next etc with the letter of acceptance of you claim. if not, simply inform your solicitor if he/shes also going to represent you at tribunal, if it gets that far, and theyll beable to tell you what you now need to do. it may also be worth contacting the tribunal people to see if they require anything further from you.

with regards to them saying they cant offer you any higher due to insurance, i think what they are saying is that their insurance company will only agree to pay out so much, but thats their problem not yours. and it doesnt by any means dictate what the payout should be, hell the tribunal could simply order they pay out double regardless of what their insurance company is willing to payout. After all its the employer that is liable and not the insurance company. their just being tight arses and unwilling to pay out of their own pockets.

Edited by teaboy2

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let everyone know I got the result I wanted or at least near that, dont get me wrong it has been at the cost of my health and home but at least now I can look forward they will also provide a reference which I know will be bog standard, I am now looking for a home privately.

I just feel that justice in a way has been done, it is an experience that I think will take me a long time to get over, but I urge everyone not to give up if you are innocent then continue till you reach a result, these large companies who bully and harrass their front line staff should be ashamed.

Thanks to everone on here who has helped me continue the fight