Techy Help AGAIN!!!! Please. This time it's Malware Bytes.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

WooHoooooooooo!!!!:D

Just thought I would give sfc /scannow one more try, and it worked.

Scanning as I type. Must have been something to do with that Command Prompt earlier on after reboot. Will get back with findings.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

follow the path you are typing:

C:\Windows\winsxs\pending .xml

is where it is

see if its still there.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

WooHoooooooooo!!!!:D

Just thought I would give sfc /scannow one more try, and it worked.

Scanning as I type. Must have been something to do with that Command Prompt earlier on after reboot. Will get back with findings.

yep thats what should have happened

told you to run sfc

p'haps you are doing a restart, when you should be COOL BOOTING

power off - power on.

ok good news

now all you have to do is go thru all the missing updates

i'd select the option that say download them, i'll install later.

not the timed [daily] one.

let it do what it needs too and dont try and run anything else major

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I was restarting (not cold booting), I didn't know it made a difference. I thought I would tell you what the scan said before I do anything else:-

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.Log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Also my system tells me that all updates are up to date and my system is running normally:confused:. Yet still it says configuring updates when I restart. I will do a Cold Boot now (seeing as sfc scannow worked) and see if that problem is there. If you tell me how (with above information) I will try and find corrupt files. Maybe we are getting somewhere now, hopefully:).

WOW. I can't believe it. Re-Booted, no problems whatsoever:D. (no configuring updates).

I only had to wait a couple of minutes for the CPU light to go out after signing in. Normally, I have to wait for about 10 minutes before I can start using it.

It's like new again. I know there are still some corrupt files which I need to look into, So I would appreciate it if you could just stick with me a bit longer. I would like to try and repair the corrupt files that sfc /scannow couldn't fix.

But I can't re-iterate enough how grateful I am for helping me the way you have done dx, and a big thanks to Locutus as well. I actually enjoyed most of it which would suggest it would be the ideal job for me:p.

Thanks Yet again, you deserve a box full of Blue Peter Badges.

ok well done

il ike doing it too

now turn on system restore again while i think of it and make a restore point

now you need to make sure you are updated to the max

have you set updates to download automatically and install when it asks? [you get a yellow shieldi nthe taskbar] dont set a daily time .

dx

and they

Just checked manually for updates, there was one important one. I installed it and it said it was creating a restore point itself. I will check now to make sure.

My system is set to check for, and download updates every morning at 7.am. Is that right?

no

click tit that says

download updates but choose whether to install them.

then you get a yellow shield in the bottom right taaskbar.

do a chkdsk c: /f /r

dx

and they

It's saying it can't lock the current drive.

But it is giving me the Y/N option to check the volume next time I restart.

Should I give it a Y?

I can't restart for a short while.

yep hit yes

them it will do it next start up

dx

and they

ok so are we sorted then?

dx

and they

Just as you thought it was safe to go back in the water......

jawsSample.jpg

Configuring 'flippin' updadtes ( on shut down and start up ).

I must admit, my lappy is much, much quicker.

My applications that I have used since the virus are all working. (doesn't necessarily mean that every application I have works).

On the whole, I am far happier than I was, because it works better than before I got the virus. I actually think the virus came with a desktop calendar which I recently downloaded. I have since got rid of it. If you know of a simple, safe one I'd be grateful.

I just wish I could stop the ruddy configuring updates issue, once and for all:(

chkdsk c: /f /r [return]

then confirn with y and hit return

reboot and let it check the hdd

i think its got to be a corrupt file now

or sadly you've got to do the bit to the .xml file again.

dx

and they

Well, downloaded Advanced Registry Fix and Advanced System Care (both excellent programs), and the both found errors andf fixed them. I am really happy about my system now but I have to resign myself to the fact that the Configuring updates is something I am just going to have to get used to. I can't use the same command prompt as I have done before (except for sfc /scannow), as it says it is already in use or something.

I was wondering (instead of starting a new thread) if you guys had any knowledge of the following problem (on my sons laptop). I have done the usual scans and stuff and can't find anything untoward. But the problem is this. There are 2 accounts registered the first one being mine (Administrator), and the second one my sons (Standard User).

For some reason or other, the admin account cannot be loaded. Only the standard user account can be. When my son wants to download something, it asks for an admin password. When I put the password in, it accepts it and downloads the program with no problems. I have tried to open another admin account and change my sons account to Administrator, but as I am using the standard account to get to that stage, it again asks for an Administrators password. Only when I put the password in for this type of stuff nothing happens. The box that the password is in just disappears, that's it.

To cut along story short. It accepts the password for downloads and updates, but it won't accept it for any system changes and the likes. I can't even run a sfc /scannow test as you have to be logged in as an administrator to perform that task.

Just thought that I would give you something to do, as you have had a couple of days off from me.:D

Thanks guys.

'administrator' is a hidden A/C which is only available in safe mode

create a new A/C with the name 'admin' then give it admin rights.

dx

always been that way.

dx

and they

I've tried that dx,

There is only 2 accounts. My sons, which is a standard account. And mine, which has admin rights. When I log in with safe mode under my account (the only one with admin rights). The desktop does come up but then there is a messasge on the task bar that says "your user profile has not loaded correctly". It will then let me open user accounts on the control panel, but I can't touch it. The only thing that it will let me do is change my password. That doesn't help at all. I have also tried to do a start up repair, but that says I need to log on as administrator. Thinking back, I can't remember putting in an account called administrator. I just set up the 2 accounts and gave one administrative rights?

no you are missing the point here. read carefully again.........

there is always a hidden administrator account, typically with a blank password which only shows in safe mode or 'R' repair windows.

in safemode, login to the hidden account called administrator & use that to create a new A/C called 'admin' , make that user an administrator, then restart windows.

login under YOUR username [with the profile error]

copy off everything from your desktop & your documents/pictures etc etc etc as it is about to be deleted to say a folder on the C:DRive

[if you need to see what is held in your profile go to doc & settings, yourname folder and drill down it to see]

another way would be to copy all the folder from under yourname over to a folder in C: or somewhere else.

now restart the PC.

goto doc & setting

and DELETED folder and its tree with yourname on it.

that will remove the profile.

restart

login as yourname, it will take a while to create a new profile but all should work.

dx

and they

The only time I have seen a possibility to log in as an administrator with a blank password is in the repair mode. There is no option to look for it in Safe Mode. I may be missing something obvious, but I can't see how you can create a new account in repair mode.

ps, I done a start up repair and it said the last time Windows booted properly was in June:eek:. I tried to do a system restore to that date. It went through the usual routine for quite a while but said the System Restore was unsuccessful.

Well, I tried logging in as Administrator in Recovery Mode (no password), and it said "your account has been disabled, please see your system administrator".???? Can a virus do that?

I can only log in anywhere with a local user account, so I think that's that. Computer for the knackers yard.

It's just out of warranty as well:mad:

software has nothing to do with warranty anyhow.

Try this:

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to display the Log on to Windows dialog box if you haven't got it already. Type "Administrator" (without the quotation marks) in the user name box and enter the password you created for the Administrator account during setup. After you log on as administrator you can create other accounts. If it doesn't work when you type Administrator try typing the nickname you used during setup.

or

There are numerous hacks that can be used, and I would advise people against them. Instead, stick with XP and work through the problem. To restate the problem, if the admin account has been disabled (to the best of my knowledge there is no way to delete it completely!) you will come to the windows login without a login name. You can press ctrl+alt+delete twice to pull-up a log-in screen and when you type in “administrator” and enter your password (if you have one!) it will say “Your account has been disabled. Please contact your systems administrator.” Obviously you can’t go much further with this. Instead, re-start your machine and keep hitting F8 and enter safe mode with command prompt. You should be able to hit ctrl+alt+delete twice to pull up a log-in screen again and re-enter administrator and whatever password you may have. That will take you to a command prompt “C:\ documents and settings/administrator.” Now you are in business. Simply type “control” at the prompt and press enter. This should bring up a message that allows you to enter Windows recovery function, and it will also open the control panel. Click on Administrative Tools and then Local Security Policies to bring up the settings. On the left side bar you can select Local Policies and then Security Options and Enable the Administrator Account the same way you may have disabled it. Of course another possibility and perhaps simpler option is to revert back to an earlier setting using the recovery utility. I actually enabled my admin account, so I am not sure if recovery will fix the problem. I think it should.

Well, hope this helps anyone else who finds him/herself in this precarious position!

dx

and they

I'm afraid both laptops have the dreaded "VISTA", only thing I've ever used as I've only been on computers for 3 years. Vista was what was installed.

CTR, ALT + DEL just brings up security options, Switch User, Log Off, change a password, Lock This Computer and Task Manager.

and they

Really thought I had it there dx, and thanks for the link. Unfortunately, when I open computer management, everything is there on the left except "Local Users and Groups".

F*****g typical.

I'm sorry about the French, but that has just took the cake:(

Edited by SOD'EM

well if your kid is into games

many of the sites change the pc to be on a domain not a workgroup

see if you can change it back to a workgroup.

bet its set to domain

dx

and they