Virgin mobile hassle

adamb76
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,I've got a virgin mobile on a 18 month contract with 3 months left on the contract.

The phone is beginning to play up(turning itself off,not always charging properly)and I called them about this and the response was "the manufacturers garuntee is only 1 year,we are not responsible"and they suggested I buy a phone to keep me going in the meantime!The phone isnt insured and I've not dropped it or anything.It has a bit of wear and tear but thats to be expected and the operator said I cant have a new phone earlier than November(1 month before my contract expires).I'm just wondering where I stand re consumer law.Surely if they are supplying phones on an 18 month contract I have the right to expect it to last 18 b?@@$y months!

Any help or points of law to throw at them(or directions to the appropriate threads)will be greatly appreciated!

Your contract is for the supply of service, and the equipment provided is outside of that service contract. In a nutshell, it is immaterial how long the contract length is for, whether 12 months, 18 months, or even 36 months. Virgin are correct in what they have said.

However, most manufacturers now offer 24 months warranty on their equipment nowadays so maybe Virgin have made an error in this advice. What type of phone is it that you have?

Virgin are a weird one when it comes to the warranty/repair of handsets.

They constantly say they offer a 12 month warranty, in which they don't bother repairing, they just replace (crazy I know). But you can contact the manufacturer and send it back to them as they will offer a seperate warranty.

thanks guys,ive got a sony ericcson k850i.i've got a spare phone i can use till the contracts up.i'll just stick to a 12 month contract from now on(and bargain hard with them when it comes to renewing my contract!)

You could try calling Sony Ericcson on 08705 237 237

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

If it's a Sony Ericsson then call them up cos it's 24 months warranty, use the number that Locutus has given.

And it doesn't really make any difference whether it was a 12 month, 18 month or outright purchase of the equipment, the liability and warranty periods would be the same.