'valid' reasons for credit card interest rate alterations

captain2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could also send your explanation in to the CRA and they have to publish that too - if for instance the accounts were in dispute because you did not agree with the balance due or interest charges or any mis-sold PPI that would at least present a reasonable explanation and a balance to it -

You could also send your explanation in to the CRA and they have to publish that too - if for instance the accounts were in dispute because you did not agree with the balance due or interest charges or any mis-sold PPI that would at least present a reasonable explanation and a balance to it -

I'm sure that a CRA will insert a notice of correction for upto 28 days. That means the person holding the account must make a responce within that time - adjust, deny or confirm changes. Once done the NOC will be removed. I don't think there's a facility for you to attach notes with no time limit.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Hi there ! I mean 'unenforceable'' the recent case with Royal Bank of Scotland and McGuffrey recently where the borrower had never made any payments under a loan agreement and he sued via his claims advisor on grounds he could not be defaulted if agreement was unenforceable - judge held that even if the agreement is unenforceable the debt is still there and thus can be reported to the CRA's. It is potentially unfair and much depends on having good credit rating. I have a mortgage so as long as I can keep up with that I don't need any more credit my job now is to hang onto what Ive got. It sounds a tough situation arising in your case can you get help somewhere or a housing association place ?

I'm not sure why everyone is so upset by the McGuffick verdict.

The case was about an enforceable agreement that became unenforceable only whilst RBS located the agreement and then subsequently whilst the bank refused to supply the required account statements in order to precipitate the hearing.

Of course the creditor had a right to issue a default. The debtor had not paid for 8 months against a totally valid loan account.

The idea an unenforceable agreement becomes completely void once declared unenforceable is also not right. It simply means (in this case at least) the creditor cannot enforce an otherwise valid agreement.

The judge himself in the case admitted it had little value as a test case entirely because of the very particular circumstance under which it arose, i.e. a temporarily unenforceable agreement.

As far as the Supreme Court judgement yesterday. I'm afraid again I have to agree with the judges. All they have stated is that the OFT cannot look into the unfairness of prescribed and published unauthorised overdraft fees because they are not separately agreed as part of a contract, they are "part of the price paid by the customer for the banking services provided."

The judges even suggested the OFT had "other avenues" open to them to fight this case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...