claim from solicitor for sevices renderd

will lliw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks, I desperatley need help with this one if anybody out there could assist. Last year I sought the help of a solicitor and then due to sikness could not afford to pay the invoice of £250, unfortunatley I have just recieved a county court claim when im weeks away from beeing able to pay these people off having returned to work recently! I am desperatley keen to avoid a CCJ against me and so would appreciate any guidance on how I could aproach this. I only have a few days left to decide wether to defend or accept. I would love to strike a deal but not sure how to go about this or even if a claim can be withdrawn in this way or if the claimant even would lol.....

Particulars of claim...

"Payment of unpaid invoice for services rendered by the claimant to the defendant to the defendants order full particulars of which have been supplied by the claimant to the defendant and invoiced as follows:-

Invoice No. xxxxx Dated xx/4/09 £250"

I think that the best thing you can do is to call the solicitors on the telephone, explain the situation to them, tell them that you are just now getting back on your feet as you are finally returning to workand can they give you a few weeks -- two months for instance -- to pay before proceeding with the claim. Make sure that you ask for a reasonable period of time to pay so that you can actually keep the commitment. If you asked for too short a time -- one month for instance -- and you then break your promise, you will get no further leniency from them.

Tell them that you are happy to write a letter agreeing to pay within the two months or whatever period you agree or else you will accept a judgement against you without question.

They would have to be fairly hardhearted not to accept a direct appeal which was fairly and honestly presented to them.

If they refuse, then the only thing I can suggest is that you try to delay things by putting in, first of all an acknowledgement and then a very brief defence simply saying that it is not admitted that you owe the money.

They should give you another two or three weeks. Then you will receive an allocation questionnaire. This will give you another two or three weeks. Don't submit the allocation questionnaire. After another two or three weeks you will receive an order from the court that unless you submit the allocation questionnaire judge will be entered against you. Have the money ready by that time and pay the solicitors and write to the court telling them that the matter is settled and that the case should be withdrawn.

The first way is the best way. The second way is the devious way but it will avoid you getting a County Court judgement.

However do make sure that you keep on taking it seriously. Don't treat the delay as an opportunity to put the matter on one side and find something else to spend the money on.

Thanks for your help Bankfodder, I'm in this position now because I ignored it for to long so I will ignore no more!

I have tried calling the claimant several times over the last few days but it seems he is a very busy man! My 14 days of service are up next monday so ive decided to send an aknowledgment of service today by recorded post for my extra 14 days and then pay the claimant in full at the end of the month. When I pay at the end of the month will I have to pay the amount claimed plus court fee and costs to prevent a judgment?