Sorry, Another Lowell Discussion.

IJazzI
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been ignoring all calls, threats, and mail from these people for about 3 years now. I spoke with them once way back at the first letter telling them to either take me to court or bugger off. Neither of which they have done. How long do they have to pursue a bought debt if they aren't prepared to do anything further?

The debt was an unpaid overdraft to Lloyds for £330ish. About a year after it started I actually got £750 back from Lloyds in bank charges anyways. If they'd been that bothered by the debt they could have removed it from that money.

I had the same problem with Natwest and ended up owing them £250ish. Lowell bought up that one but have since seemed to stop persuing it, (as of about 2 years ago). Natwest also later paid me over £1000 in bank charges.

Any info would be appreciated. I've lloked around the forums a bit but most people seem to be asking for info specific to their case/problem. What I want is a general guide to deleting Lowell from the planet, or failing that, info on what they have actually done, actually can do, and are actually legally entitled to do.

I did read about the letter requesting full details in another thread but I don't particularly want to draw attention to myself. lol.

I appreciate the fact you have most likely seen this sort of thing a lot on these boards and am grateful for any info.

I'm afraid the answer is that they can pursue an undisputed debt until they run out ink in their printers.

If your last written acknowledgement of the debt or payment against it (including payments made into the bank account) was more than six years ago, the debt would be statute barred. Again, however, that just makes the debt unenforceable rather than prohibiting them from writing to you.

It's up to you what you do now. You can either wait out the six years (if necessary) or make arrangements to pay off the debt.

A debt becomes Statute Barred six years after payment became due if no written acknowledgement or payment was made during that period, until it becomes SB they can pursue the debt including applying for a CCJ. Once that time has expired you can declare the debt SB & they can do nothing except ask you nicely for payment. Obviously, you can can just as nicely tell them to go forth. During that six years they can decimate your credit file by registering a default & updates, but once the six years are up they drop off anyway.

Interesting. The point that they haven't taken me to court yet is the one I find funniest. I have to wonder why they haven't bothered?

I too have had quite a few DCAs try to get the debts but as of yet NONE of them has taken me to court. It surprises me as to why they don't bother.

*edit* I'd rep but assume this has a 50 post limit before rep is worth anything?

• 4 months later...

Lowell are now offering to halve the debt and are being extremely polite in letters. Although they don't know my address I have a friend who receives the mail at my old place.

I haven't contacted or acknowledged Lowell in any way yet although they are getting crafty and ringing me from normal number mobile phones...

My current policy is to refuse to give out personal details over the phone to them so they cannot confirm I am me and can't discuss the debt with me at all... Seems to work well at stalling.

They also seem to have a few other entities. hamptons legal, red and another one I've forgotten.

Still no sign of court action though...

According to my credit file only a year and a half to go till it falls off.

Lowell are now offering to halve the debt and are being extremely polite in letters. Although they don't know my address I have a friend who receives the mail at my old place.

Which tells you a lot.:D

David

Red/Hamptons= Lowell.

Just different desks in the same office.

Point to note, is that if they do not have your correct address, they may quite well be able to gain a CCJ by default.

Although if you have a friend passing on your mail, you would be aware of their intentions.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Red/Hamptons= Lowell.

Just different desks in the same office.

Point to note, is that if they do not have your correct address, they may quite well be able to gain a CCJ by default.

Although if you have a friend passing on your mail, you would be aware of their intentions.

Ah thanks for the heads up. I don't want to give them any reason to find a loophole as it were! I think i might just bite the bullet and do the credit agreement request. It seems as though they have a poor track record of supplying the needed papaerwork in the required time if what I read is right...

Thanks everyone for the replies. It doesn't let me rep you...:mad:

Personally I would lay low and not wake the dogs up :D

If you're not getting any contact & haven't done for 2 - 3 years, I cannot see any benefit in letting them know that you know about them if that makes any sense?? :lol:

Personally I would lay low and not wake the dogs up :grin:

If you're not getting any contact & haven't done for 2 - 3 years, I cannot see any benefit in letting them know that you know about them if that makes any sense?? :lol:

Certainly some milage in that.

At the 50% offer stage - they are normally on the way out anyway. If you start a dialogue you may re-engage them.

David