• Tweets

• Shein has been linked to unethical business practices, including forced labour allegations.View the full article
    • Hi I have to agree with @unclebulgaria67 post#3 For the funding side of moving to a new area and it being private supported accommodation I would also suggest speaking to private supported accommodation provider about funding but also contact the Local Council for that area and have a chat with them about funding because if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit certain Supported Accommodation that meets a certain criteria is treated as ‘exempt accommodation’ for Housing Benefit purposes but you need to confirm this with that relevant Council in your new area especially since it is Private Supported Accommodation as each Council can have slightly different rules on this. If you have a certain medical condition look up the charities and also have a wee chat with them as they may be able to point you to different Grants to assist with moving costs and your question about funding for private supported accommodation as well.
    • Hi Just to be clear a Notice to Quit is only the very start of the Housing Association going down the Eviction route there is a long process to go. Also to be clear if you leave at the Notice to Quit date only and go to the Council claiming you are Homeless they will more than likely class you as Intentionally Homeless therefore you have no right to be given temporary housing by the Council. The only way that works is when the Court has Granted a Possession Order then you can approach the Council as Homeless with the Court Order. As for the Housing Association issuing the Notice to Quit because there investigation has proved it's not your main residence but you have witness statement to prove otherwise. From now on with the Housing Association you need to keep a very good paper trail and ensure to get free proof of posting from the post office with anything you send to them. You now need to make a Formal Complaint to the Housing Association and please amend the following to suit your needs:   Dear Sir/Madam FORMAL COMPLAINT Reference: Notice to Quit Letter Dated XX/XX/2024, Hand Delivered on XX/XX/2024 I note in your letter that you stated that the Housing Association has carried out an investigation into myself and came to the conclusion that I am not using this property as my main residence and have evidence of this and have therefore issued a 'Notice to Quit' by XX/XX/2024. I find the above actions absolutely disgraceful action by the Housing Association. 1. Why have I never been informed nor asked about this matter by my Housing Officer. 2. Why have I never been given the opportunity to defend myself before the Housing Association out of the blue Hand Delivered a Notice to Quit Letter. 3. I have evidence and witnesses/statements that prove this is my Main Residence and more than willing provide this to both the Housing Association and the Court. I now require the following: 1. Copy of your Complaints Policy (not the leaflet) 2. Copy of your Customer Care Charter (not the leaflet) 3. Copies of your Investigation into this not being my main residence.    As well as the above you need to send the Housing Association urgently a Subject Access Request (SAR) requesting 'ALL DATA' that simple phrase covers whatever format they hold that in whether it be letters, email, recorded calls etc. The Housing Association then has 30 calendar days to respond but that time limit only starts once they acknowledge your SAR Request. If they fail to respond within that time limit its then off with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).     
    • Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you The email excuse and I do say excuse to add to your account and if court decide LL can't recoup costs will be removed is a joke. So I would Ask them: Ask them to provide you with the exact terms within your Tenancy Agreement that allows them to add these Court Fees to your Account before it has been decided in Court by a Judge. Until the above is answered you require these Court Fees to be removed from your Account (Note: I will all be down to your Tenancy Agreement so have a good look through it to see what if any fees they can add to your account in these circumstances)
    • Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnoea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldn't drive i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnoea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially committing an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CL Finance v Questioner

questioner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5258 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

PPI CHARGE

£5,875.80

03/02/2005

8% £2,275.11

£5,875.80

£2,275.11

£8,150.91

So I should bang in a PPI claim to Santander/formerly THE MEGA PPI MISSELLING FINED GE on this basis and using the facts re their previous ownership ?

I can work out amounts as with credit cards showing monthly statements, with the CAG calc, but (being a maths thicko) not sure how we go on with such a SINGLE lump sum on a loan as in this case.

Above total is just the PPI lump on the agreement plus 8% .

I know - I am probably jumping the gun with a PPI claim to S at this stage.

I also have a SAR due from BOS, which may inadvertantly reveal more on this one.

Its just mad that they can change a loan into a running credit thing and change the number too without me knowing anything about all this.

Santander also claimed they had sent me 3 DNs - yet the only one I hold is dated differantly to any they say this issued.

Anyhow - this is as far as it has got ......

santander23dec09edit.jpg

Edited by questioner

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Q, do you have correspondence advising of these 3 Default Notices ? Any dates ?

Obviously the final DN prior to the assignment where they advise the account is terminated has to be the one we take the most notice of. If we could get sight of the other 2 to see how they were configured it would be good.

They can issue as many DNs as they like prior to termination but after that they are snookered.

Ref the PPI issue, Q. I think you need to hold fire at the moment. Lets get a letter drafted up and see if we can incorporate everything and in balanced order. I would say that it will need to be sent to the Head office and as an Official Complaint now.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Q, do you have correspondence advising of these 3 Default Notices ? Any dates ?

Obviously the final DN prior to the assignment where they advise the account is terminated has to be the one we take the most notice of. If we could get sight of the other 2 to see how they were configured it would be good.

They can issue as many DNs as they like prior to termination but after that they are snookered.

Ref the PPI issue, Q. I think you need to hold fire at the moment. Lets get a letter drafted up and see if we can incorporate everything and in balanced order. I would say that it will need to be sent to the Head office and as an Official Complaint now.

HERE ARE THEIR DATES BUT THEY FAIL TO RELATE TO THE DN I HOLD

In view of this I may be being misled. Mine is dated 3/4/07

We have other letters from GE after their latest dated alleged DNs but no more DNs...... most go into 08 saying YOU HAVE FAILED TO MAKE AGREED PAYMENTS ... BLAH BLAH ..

Point to me is that the assignment say that it was CLs from Dec 07 but GE were still corresponding asking for dosh well after that date.

SANTANDER15DEC09EDIT.jpg

One of the main points is……..

Original loan 344……with balance being sought now by CL with new number 982…..was a personal loan.

New number 982 … is called a “running account credit agreement” by GE in 2007.

I have no idea where this new number came from and CL failed to address the question when raised.

When I CCA'd for pursued 982 number , CL forwarded old 344……. agreement

I recall mentioning the need for a modifying agreement, if they wanted to claim it has changed, but of course this was ignored as well by them.

It I go into the greengrocers and ask for a bag of carrots and they give me a cabbage I would be expected the question this odd move but the same doesn’t seem to apply here……is it me or...??? :confused:

Its just plain crazy

Edited by questioner

So I should bang in a PPI claim to Santander/formerly THE MEGA PPI MISSELLING FINED GE on this basis and using the facts re their previous ownership ?

I can work out amounts as with credit cards showing monthly statements, with the CAG calc, but (being a maths thicko) not sure how we go on with such a SINGLE lump sum on a loan as in this case.

Above total is just the PPI lump on the agreement plus 8% .

I know - I am probably jumping the gun with a PPI claim to S at this stage.

I also have a SAR due from BOS, which may inadvertantly reveal more on this one.

Its just mad that they can change a loan into a running credit thing and change the number too without me knowing anything about all this.

Santander also claimed they had sent me 3 DNs - yet the only one I hold is dated differantly to any they say this issued.

Anyhow - this is as far as it has got ......

santander23dec09edit.jpg

I think your claim for PPi would be based on the amount charged for the policy, plus the interest charged on that sum at the rate when the loan was taken out.

HERE ARE THEIR DATES BUT THEY FAIL TO RELATE TO THE DN I HOLD

In view of this I may be being misled. Mine is dated 3/4/07

We have other letters from GE after their latest dated alleged DNs but no more DNs...... most go into 08 saying YOU HAVE FAILED TO MAKE AGREED PAYMENTS ... BLAH BLAH ..

Point to me is that the assignment say that it was CLs from Dec 07 but GE were still corresponding asking for dosh well after that da

SANTANDER15DEC09EDIT.jpg

They say that they have issued 3 default notices in 2007. Did you rectify the first 2?

Can you jot down the DN date and rectification date for the 3 notices.

They say that they have issued 3 default notices in 2007. Did you rectify the first 2?

Can you jot down the DN date and rectification date for the 3 notices.

The only one we have is 3/4/07 which does not correspond with their claims.

It is uploaded earlier on this thread vint.

The only one we have is 3/4/07 which does not correspond with their claims.

It is uploaded earlier on this thread vint.

Obviously shows that they posted the DN dated 3rd April on the 4th. The comms log should verify this. The other dates are probably just updates entered by them. Again the comms log from the SAR should verify.

Keep that DN safe.

Obviously shows that they posted the DN dated 3rd April on the 4th. The comms log should verify this. The other dates are probably just updates entered by them. Again the comms log from the SAR should verify.

Keep that DN safe.

Shall do vint thank you.

One problem may be that token payments were still given to CL later on then any DN. This was done in the belief that the agreement was valid under a certain amount of pressure.

"The other dates are probably just updates entered by them."

That could be true as I have quite a lot of letters after the April DN date saying ......

You have failed to make the agreed payments....

And the notice of assignment is odd too, as I have mentioned before, as CL sent this in 08 yet the actual NOA on is dated to be in force from Dec. 07.

Edited by questioner

Vint - from your 198 post on t'other thread........

The usual failure here, no surprise, is that they ignore the law ( law of property act 1925 ) in their greed and rush for quick profits. They must issue you with a notice of assignmment. This can be issued by the Origininal Creditor or the new owner, but it must be signed by the Original creditor ( assignor ) The debt is sold under a deed.

In their rush for quick profits and blood, they also ignore the law on service of the Notice of Assignment. It must be served by hand, or special delivery to ensure that the debtor has possetion of it. Assignment is a very important legal action that they almost always seem to get wrong.

The so -called Notice of Assignment we recieved off CL would have just come though the post by normal 1ST OR SECOND class means and remains unsigned.

CLnoticeofassignment08edit.jpg

It just looks as you can see it be a scanned image onto the letter from CL.

So what does this mean?

"Assignment is a very important legal action"

HOW BINDING, WITHOUT SIGNATURE OR CORRECT DELIVERY, AS YOU STATE ABOVE VINT?

Can I clobber them with this?

Q

Edited by questioner

I am not sure questioner. The act is very specific in that the assignment needs to be signed by the original creditor, even if not delivered by them. In theory, anyone could coble up that notice.

You could try posing the question on the legal forum.

THANKS VINT BUT IF I START ANY MORE THREADS I WILL GET LOST IN A SEA OF CONFUSION. I DID FIND THIS FROM A MOD ON A PENALTY CHARGES WEBSITE .........

The other point here is that the Assignment needs to have been sent to you be recorded post or personally served. Snail mail won't do here. Usually assignments are sent by snail, which means that the legal conditions for Absolute Assignment have not been fulfilled. This is important as an incorrectly-assigned debt is only Equitable, so the new creditor can chase the debt, but has no right to sue you unless it is Absolute.

POSSIBLY THE LETTER ON POST 10 BELOW IS APT FOR ME?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/238935-notice-assignment.html

Edited by questioner

Good find. Answers the question

Ah good - I shall pinch a bit and Lilly's letter and also add....

Sirs

Further to all the previous points that I have highlighted which make this alleged account unenforceable and most especially the fact that the agreement you sent to me holds un unknown number to the file being perused, please take heed of the following. I note that the scanned Notice of Assignment that you previously sent to me was improperly executed thereby invalidating absolute assignment to you. I request that you confirm that the file will now of returned to source .

I draw to your attention the following.

I note that the scanned Notice of Assignment that you previously sent to me was improperly executed thereby invalidating this alleged absolute assignment to you from GE. The Law of Property act 1925 is specific. Any valid Notice of Assignment must be signed by the Original creditor (assignor). The debt is sold under a deed. The partial scan you sent to me was unsigned and thus worthless as any lawful document. I furthermore was not informed by GE of this action.

Clearly this legal requisite has been disregarded by both you and the Original Creditor on the service of this bogus Notice of Assignment.

Such an essential document must also be served by hand, or special delivery to ensure that the debtor has proper possession of the article. Ordinary post will not suffice. The one sent by CL Finance failed to comply with lawful requirements.

I must therefore insist that you confirm that this file will now be returned to Santander for proper conclusion.

Since this unlawful assignment you have happily drawn monies from me in a questionable manner due to the above. I must therefore now consider further advice.

I welcome your proposals to finalise this somewhat distressing affair.

Hi Q, those are valuable links that vint has directed you to.

Before writing to CL or GE, I would take time out to read all of them carefully. Firing off letters with just "part information" can be dangerous and give the opposition time to "amend/alter" things.

Along with the information that Vint has already supplied you should remembr that the NOA, is dated 10 September 2008 yet they say within the body of the assignment section that it was assigned in December 2007.

Plus we now also know that this should have either been hand delivered or sent be recorded delivery... oops :D

You really need to see the original Deed.

Perhaps something will reveal itself in the Subject Access Request.:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi,

There are a few things that I think are wrong with what you have said:-

I draw to your attention the following.

I note that the scanned Notice of Assignment that you previously sent to me was improperly executed thereby invalidating this alleged absolute assignment to you from GE.

A notice of assignment doesn't need to be "executed" and so it cannot be "improperly executed" either.

The Law of Property act 1925 is specific. Any valid Notice of Assignment must be signed by the Original creditor (assignor).

This is wrong, have a read of the Act and also see Van Lynn Developments Ltd v Pelias Construction Co Ltd [1968] 3 ALL ER 824

It doesn't need to be "signed" by anybody and may come from either the assignor or the assignee.

The debt is sold under a deed. The partial scan you sent to me was unsigned and thus worthless as any lawful document.

Is this the actual deed of sale that they sent you?

I furthermore was not informed by GE of this action.

You don't necessarily need to be informed by the assignor - see above

Clearly this legal requisite has been disregarded by both you and the Original Creditor on the service of this bogus Notice of Assignment.

Such an essential document must also be served by hand, or special delivery to ensure that the debtor has proper possession of the article. Ordinary post will not suffice.

I'm afraid there's a bit more to it than that. The Act actually speaks of "notice" and not "a notice" the whole point being that the debtor is aware of who he should be paying his debt to.

The important thing about the Act requiring delivery by hand or by registered post is that it gives you deniability of having received any notice. So, if it goes to court and they had sent you notice by ordinary post then you have a complete defence - with one exception.

That exception is if you have already been communicating with CL Finance in writing before they issued you with a court claim. The reason is - why would you be communicating with CL Finance about your debt unless you had received notice of it being assigned to them.

I don't know the timeline of events in your case, but it is very important not to acknowledge any communication from the assignee until after they have issued a cliam against you, otherwise you lose your defence, regardless of whether they have sent the notice of assignment properly or not

The one sent by CL Finance failed to comply with lawful requirements.

I must therefore insist that you confirm that this file will now be returned to Santander for proper conclusion.

Since this unlawful assignment you have happily drawn monies from me in a questionable manner due to the above. I must therefore now consider further advice.

I welcome your proposals to finalise this somewhat distressing affair.

OK FOLKS - SO i SHALL RIP UP THAT PROPOSED LATTER TO CL.......

:(

Point was that the NOS wa not something I had been sent by the OC and it was not signed. I only got to find out months later by CL..

VERY CONFUSING.

And no one has even bothered to explain why the agreement sent has a different number on it or why it was changed.. :confused:

From Lillywhite.

Assigning A Debt Or Benefit Of Contract?

It is important to first provide the debtor with a notice of the assignment!

Other points and issues that should be borne in mind:

· In principle, the benefit of a contract can be legally assigned without consent,

provided there is no express prohibition on assignment or, for example, a requirement that consent

is obtained.

· Where there is no restriction on assignment, the usual way of assigning the benefit of

contractual rights is by statutory assignment. The assignment must be in writing, signed by the

assignor, absolute (not purporting to be by way of charge only) and notice in writing must be

given to the other contracting party (section 136, Law of Property Act 1925).

· If a contract is not effectively assigned under statute, it may still be assigned under

common law by an( simple) equitable assignment. An equitable assignment may exist where the requirements

for a statutory assignment are not satisfied. The main practical consequence of an equitable

assignment is that the assignee cannot bring an action in its own name against the third party,

but must fall back on the rules governing equitable assignments and join the assignor as a party

to the action.

It is, in any event, desirable for notice of an assignment to be given to the third party because

the third party will otherwise be entitled to continue to make payments to the assignor. Notice

will give the assignee priority over any other assignee that has failed to give notice, provided

there is no knowledge of such prior assignment.

s136 LPA 1925

136 Legal assignments of things in action

(1)Any absolute assignment by writing under the hand of the assignor (not purporting to be by way of charge only) of any debt or other legal thing in action, of which express notice in writing has been given to the debtor, trustee or other person from whom the assignor would have been entitled to claim such debt or thing in action, is effectual in law (subject to equities having priority over the right of the assignee) to pass and transfer from the date of such notice—

(a)the legal right to such debt or thing in action;

(b)all legal and other remedies for the same; and

©the power to give a good discharge for the same without the concurrence of the assignor:

Provided that, if the debtor, trustee or other person liable in respect of such debt or thing in action has notice—

(a)that the assignment is disputed by the assignor or any person claiming under him; or

(b)of any other opposing or conflicting claims to such debt or thing in action;he may, if he thinks fit, either call upon the persons making claim thereto to interplead concerning the same, or pay the debt or other thing in action into court under the provisions of the M1Trustee Act, 1925.

(2)This section does not affect the provisions of the M2Policies of Assurance Act, 1867.

[F1(3)The county court has jurisdiction (including power to receive payment of money or securities into court) under the proviso to subsection (1) of this section where the amount or value of the debt or thing in action does not exceed [F2£30,000].]

Annotations:

Assigning A Debt Or Benefit Of Contract?

It is important to first provide the debtor with a notice of the assignment!

Other points and issues that should be borne in mind:

· In principle, the benefit of a contract can be legally assigned without consent, provided there is no express prohibition on assignment or, for example, a requirement that consent is obtained.

· Where there is no restriction on assignment, the usual way of assigning the benefit of contractual rights is by statutory assignment. The assignment must be in writing, signed by the assignor, absolute (not purporting to be by way of charge only) and notice in writing must be given to the other contracting party (section 136, Law of Property Act 1925).

· If a contract is not effectively assigned under statute, it may still be assigned under common law by an equitable assignment. An equitable assignment may exist where the requirements for a statutory assignment are not satisfied. The main practical consequence of an equitable assignment is that the assignee cannot bring an action in its own name against the third party, but must fall back on the rules governing equitable assignments and join the assignor as a party to the action.

It is, in any event, desirable for notice of an assignment to be given to the third party because the third party will otherwise be entitled to continue to make payments to the assignor. Notice will give the assignee priority over any other assignee that has failed to give notice, provided there is no knowledge of such prior assignment.

· The burden of a contract cannot be assigned. It is therefore necessary to novate, rather than assign, certain contracts. Novation is, in effect, the rescission of one contract and the substitution of a new contract in which the same acts are to be performed but by different parties.

· On the sale of a business, the asset purchase agreement may specifically assign the benefit of the seller's contracts to the purchaser. Assuming that there is no restriction on assignment, this amounts to a statutory assignment, provided that notice is also given to the other contracting party. If assignment is not possible, or only possible with consent, the asset purchase agreement may provide that such contracts are held on trust pending the obtaining of formal consent to assign or novate.

Trade debts often remain with the seller on the sale of a business because giving written notice of the assignment of the debt to each debtor can, depending on the number of debtors, be time consuming and expensive. Where the trade debts remain with the seller, the seller may continue to collect the debts, or else the buyer may collect the debts as agent for the seller.

As the burden of a contract may not be assigned, liability for breach of contract stays with the seller, who will therefore seek an indemnity from the buyer in relation to any breach occurring after completion.

And regarding accuracy of the NOA.

In the case of W F Harrison & Co Ltd v Burke and another - [1956] 2 All ER 169 did set out however that the date of assignment must be correctly stated or the assignment is ineffectual in law so there are constraint upon the accuracy of the document

Also the figure must be correct or the assignment is again ineffectual

Readin further on the NOA, it must be served on the debtor, meaning that it must be served by hand or by registered signed for post. They just ignore it though and I guess that the lower courts may not have a clue.

I think you need to read and digest before sending any letters. As CB has said, act in haste, repent at leisure.