• Tweets

• Shein has been linked to unethical business practices, including forced labour allegations.View the full article
    • Hi I have to agree with @unclebulgaria67 post#3 For the funding side of moving to a new area and it being private supported accommodation I would also suggest speaking to private supported accommodation provider about funding but also contact the Local Council for that area and have a chat with them about funding because if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit certain Supported Accommodation that meets a certain criteria is treated as ‘exempt accommodation’ for Housing Benefit purposes but you need to confirm this with that relevant Council in your new area especially since it is Private Supported Accommodation as each Council can have slightly different rules on this. If you have a certain medical condition look up the charities and also have a wee chat with them as they may be able to point you to different Grants to assist with moving costs and your question about funding for private supported accommodation as well.
    • Hi Just to be clear a Notice to Quit is only the very start of the Housing Association going down the Eviction route there is a long process to go. Also to be clear if you leave at the Notice to Quit date only and go to the Council claiming you are Homeless they will more than likely class you as Intentionally Homeless therefore you have no right to be given temporary housing by the Council. The only way that works is when the Court has Granted a Possession Order then you can approach the Council as Homeless with the Court Order. As for the Housing Association issuing the Notice to Quit because there investigation has proved it's not your main residence but you have witness statement to prove otherwise. From now on with the Housing Association you need to keep a very good paper trail and ensure to get free proof of posting from the post office with anything you send to them. You now need to make a Formal Complaint to the Housing Association and please amend the following to suit your needs:   Dear Sir/Madam FORMAL COMPLAINT Reference: Notice to Quit Letter Dated XX/XX/2024, Hand Delivered on XX/XX/2024 I note in your letter that you stated that the Housing Association has carried out an investigation into myself and came to the conclusion that I am not using this property as my main residence and have evidence of this and have therefore issued a 'Notice to Quit' by XX/XX/2024. I find the above actions absolutely disgraceful action by the Housing Association. 1. Why have I never been informed nor asked about this matter by my Housing Officer. 2. Why have I never been given the opportunity to defend myself before the Housing Association out of the blue Hand Delivered a Notice to Quit Letter. 3. I have evidence and witnesses/statements that prove this is my Main Residence and more than willing provide this to both the Housing Association and the Court. I now require the following: 1. Copy of your Complaints Policy (not the leaflet) 2. Copy of your Customer Care Charter (not the leaflet) 3. Copies of your Investigation into this not being my main residence.    As well as the above you need to send the Housing Association urgently a Subject Access Request (SAR) requesting 'ALL DATA' that simple phrase covers whatever format they hold that in whether it be letters, email, recorded calls etc. The Housing Association then has 30 calendar days to respond but that time limit only starts once they acknowledge your SAR Request. If they fail to respond within that time limit its then off with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).     
    • Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you The email excuse and I do say excuse to add to your account and if court decide LL can't recoup costs will be removed is a joke. So I would Ask them: Ask them to provide you with the exact terms within your Tenancy Agreement that allows them to add these Court Fees to your Account before it has been decided in Court by a Judge. Until the above is answered you require these Court Fees to be removed from your Account (Note: I will all be down to your Tenancy Agreement so have a good look through it to see what if any fees they can add to your account in these circumstances)
    • Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnoea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldn't drive i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnoea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially committing an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CL Finance v Questioner

questioner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5258 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Couple of things questioner, The PPI claim will need to go to whoever the OC was. If you took out the Loan\CC with Halifax and who received your PPI payments, then that is your claim.

Regarding the PPI, you need to be claiming the full amount of PPI and any interest charged on it at the rate they charged you, so if it was a CC, monthly PPI plus compounded interest @ say 17.9%. Post claim, you then add 8% stat interest while the claim is outstanding. That is the way I read it, but others may be able to explain better.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of things questioner, The PPI claim will need to go to whoever the OC was. If you took out the Loan\CC with Halifax and who received your PPI payments, then that is your claim.

Regarding the PPI, you need to be claiming the full amount of PPI and any interest charged on it at the rate they charged you, so if it was a CC, monthly PPI plus compounded interest @ say 17.9%. Post claim, you then add 8% stat interest while the claim is outstanding. That is the way I read it, but others may be able to explain better.

Hiya Vint

This was a just a lump loan and I have written to all three parties to try and get some sense out of them.

I have asked HBOS for the PPI back as Santander say it was their baby.

However CL say they had total assignment/ownership but ran off when I used the PPI word.

No sure about this "full amount of PPI charged bit" as all I have is the debatable agreement they sent (as on my first post) toting up to about 6k.

So do I just say I require the 6k plus 8% please back?:-?

Sorry - but I was never good with figures.

I am waiting to see what the 3 companies say about all this too.

Edited by questioner

Hiya Vint

This was a just a lump loan and I have written to all three parties to try and get some sense out of them.

I have asked HBOS for the PPI back as Santander/GE say it was their baby. I FEEL THAT GE WANT DISTANCE HERE AS THEY HAVE BEEN BADLY FINED FOR PPI MISSELLING BEFORE.

However CL say they had total assignment/ownership but ran off when I used the PPI word (I.E. - EH NOWT TO DO WITH US MATE - GO ASK THE OTHER 2).

No sure about this "full amount of PPI charged bit" as all I have is the debatable agreement they sent (as on my first post) toting up to about 6k.

So do I just say I require the 6k plus 8% please back?:-?

Sorry - but I was never good with figures. I used the CAG calc to arrive at the above figures with basic PPI figures plus interest.....

I am waiting to see what the 3 companies say about all this too. I THINK ALL CONCERNED ARE IN A MUDDLE OVER IT.

Edited by questioner

questioner

You asked me to look at the agreement in the light of s18. IMHO you are right that s18 applies as this agreement has two different categories of credit:

1. the main loan is unrestricted use, debtor-creditor

2. the PPI is restricted use, debtor-creditor-supplier.

So it should be treated as two seperate loans. IMo that means that the terms prescribed in schedule 1 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations should be presnet for each loan for the agreement (actually, agreements) to be properly executed. However, I think they are - you have the amount of credit and TC shown for each loan and an APR that applies to both. Normally, the APR wouldn't be a prescribed term but it is if the repayment amount and number of repayments are not both shown. The number of repayments is the same for both loans but the amount of reapyment is only shown lumped together.

I think you would have a hard time convincing a court that s18 made this agreement unenforceable. Sorry.

Steven - thanks for the kind advice, dissapointing though it may be. :(

I had been told that seperate signature boxes were required with the s18 thing but never mind.

Nevertheless, Several other things are applicable including wrong agreement number on the doc, DN issues, missold PPI, illegible in parts, two pages that are not connected etc.:)

Oh yes - and no rights of cancellation either..

Edited by questioner

IN theory, possibly. Recent experience has shown that violation of s18 has to be pretty blatant for a court to take any notice

Fair enough - I will therefore keep this one in reserve just in case ever needed in future. All grist to the mill.

Plently of other concerns on the go however as previously stated, but my nature is to constantly seek out weaknesses to exploit to good ends.

Just wondering if the following applies to this

Goode, Consumer Credit Law and Practice, paras: 30.102-30.103.

In relation to position of Signatures and Prescribed T&C It is clear that s61(1)(a) is referring to the prospective regulated agreement, so that its requirements must be fulfilled by that document and not just by another document to which it refers

This is Further interpreted by John McCloud, PhD, LLB, Barrister, Professor of Law, University of Liverpool:

On the same side as the signatures the document itself must contain the terms prescribed in the Agreement Regulations [Reg 6(1)]. To the extent that these rules refer to information which must be stated ‘together and as a whole’, that will ensure the larger list is included in the actual agreement rather than any document referred to in it.

With the microfiched doc on my initial post we have terms on a second page that are not clearly linked to the first page.

I believe that the original doc may have been destroyed as they admitted that they held such microfiched docs for "stoarge" purposes.

However, in view of the above I still have not had any satisfactoty answer of any party as to why they sent a doc holding a differant agreement number from the one used on all previous corresspondence and being persued by them. Where does this leave them? :confused:

Muddle ?

Just to note that, in both of the above quotes, it is the prescribed terms that are referred to, not the general T&Cs. THe prescribed terms are those given in scehdule 1 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) REgulations 1983 - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1407&d=1193875465

ok - so I am now studying the CCA Schedule 1 (keeping in mind that we have a form here that holds a differant agreement number to the one always used.) Requests for a Modifying Agreement (is this was to be the excuse of the creditor(s) also fell on deaf ears as well.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/171945-modified-credit-card-agreements.html#post2618972

The box under the APR 18.9 (relating to application for insurance cover) is not filled in - is this a term error I can highlight?

I actually find this box a little misleading. Could they therefore NOT have later filled this box in to suit themselves?

There is also no rights to cancel although it would have been a courier affair.

Edited by questioner

Seeing as GE flogged it to CL with a dodgey DN attached, it would seem that CL have a case against GE....or does being stupid not count as a defence under law in rescission of contract......

DO SHARKS EVER BITE EACH OTHER......

Started with HBOS

Taken on by GE

Flogged to CL...

• 3 weeks later...

SANTANDER, WHO WERE GE, JUST WROTE SAYING THAT THEIR DN WAS FULLY COMPLIANT AND THAT THIS DEBT IS FULLY ENFORCABLE.

They seem to be saying don't bother us just tootle off and pay CL what you owe them....

I mean, who cares if its got the wrong agreement number on the agreement and defective DN - they sure dont....

Just pay up and dont ask questions ..

Edited by questioner

They are bound to say that everything is ok.. The regulations say otherwise. :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This image is the reverse side of the CL assignment page. I have uploaded the actual CL assignment earlier.

This shows that the assignment was by CL and NOT GE, who previously held the file. One would have thought the GE should have been the ones to do the actual assigning here...

CLassignmentreversepage.jpg

Ok, lets try and establish ownership from beginning to current day.

HBOS was the original owner

Santander then bought all their accounts

Then it was sold to GE Money

Now CL Finance own it

Yes..

Were you advised originally that the account was bought by Santander and should there have been an assignment at that stage ?

Was there an assignment from GE Money to CL Finance ?

Should it have been HBOS or Santander who issued the Default Notice.

At what point in time did you stop paying and who owned it at that time ?

In respect of the PPI. Santander are saying that you should refer to Halifax for this. However, if they bought the accounts from Halifax, then surely they should be responsible for the refund. If not, then was the original sale nothing more than assignment. In which case, where is the Notice of Assignment from Halifax to Santander ??

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ok, lets try and establish ownership from beginning to current day.

Thanks CB - I shall answer in red.

HBOS was the original owner

Santander then bought all their accounts

Santander were formerly GE and they appear to have had a joint venture with HBOS called Retail Financial Services (RFS) which seems to mean a shared ownership.

Then it was sold to GE Money -Santander told me they did the admin on it yet the account has their stamp on it from te very begining.

Now CL Finance own it

Yes.. Yes

Were you advised originally that the account was bought by Santander and should there have been an assignment at that stage ? Santander told me that the account was originally opened with HBOS in 05 and that GE (now Santander) took on the admin. I have no evidence of any assignment at this stage.

Was there an assignment from GE Money to CL Finance ? I received news of the assignment for GE to CL from CL. This image of the assignment is uploaded on a previous post on this thread.

Should it have been HBOS or Santander who issued the Default Notice. It was issued by GE and not HBOS. This is interesting as Sandantder are now saying that it is HBOS who are liable for the PPI and not them. Santander also went on to say they have been unable to receive transcripts from agents from the time PPI happened, so they refered me to Halixax.

At what point in time did you stop paying and who owned it at that time ? Stopped paying last summer to CL.

In respect of the PPI. Santander are saying that you should refer to Halifax for this. However, if they bought the accounts from Halifax, then surely they should be responsible for the refund. If not, then was the original sale nothing more than assignment. In which case, where is the Notice of Assignment from Halifax to Santander ??

Like I said this was apparently a joint venture and the only passing over/assignment performed seems to have been from GE to CL later on. This is no evidence of any assignment from HBOS to GE/Santander.. In fact BOS show very little on any of the documentation we have of this account. It is the GE logo on everything from the start.

I do know that GE have been fined in the past though for big time PPI misselling. I feel like I am being given the run around and just dont know what to do here.

Santander has however stated that they

“acquired the business of HBOS and as such took over the administration of the account. We are therefore within our rights to assign the account to a third party”

I cannot find any sign of any assignment from HBOS and I would imagine that Santander are committed to their own words and deeds herein with this declaration??

And we still have no idea why the agreement number changed during all this activity to the one that CL are hunting today.

Someone must be liable for PPI on this lot.

Edited by questioner

Checking back with the Notice of Assignment, it says "We hereby give you notice that GE Capital Bank Limited trading as GE Money, have by assignment dated 31st December 2007 assigned to CL Finance Limited.. absolutely.. etc, etc . The assignment is dated 10 September 2008 Why would they take 9 months to advise me of this.

We have letters relating to the new 982… acc no. from GE (with RFS title on the letter too) asking for payment from 3/1/08 and also 10/1/08- but it had already been assigned then.

So, IF I AM READING ALL THE CORRECTLY, GE was asking for money then on an agreement that was assigned to CL on 31st Dec 07.

Ok, I have printed off all the paperwork you have sent me along with the stuff on the thread and think I have worked it out:grin: I think there has been some serious misleading going on from Santander. These are my observations.

1. The illegible agreement has the number starting 34XXXXX typed onto the document indicating this is the account number.

2. The illegible document states that the contract is between you and Retail Financial Services Ltd. The company registration number on that document is 3627629.

3. This agreement was couriered to you with a letter dated 2nd March 2005. This letter is from First National Personal Loans (a GE Company) and also bears the account number as 34XXXXX .

The company registration number is 3627629

This establishes ownership by GE Capital/Money.

4. On 18 January 2007. You receive a letter from GE Capital Personal Loan advising a payment returned. This letter also has headings indicating partnership with Retail Financial Services. On this letter at the bottom, it advises that Retail Financial Services are an appointed representative of The Bank of Scotland.

This letter also indicates the account number as 34XXX.

5. in 2007 you receive a Default notice from GE Money. This notice is corrupt in that it states 14 days from date of letter in contravention of the regulations which says there must be a specific date and 14 clear days allowing time for postage dependant on what method of postal service is used.

This proves that ownership is with GE Money/Capital (Retail Financial Services Ltd) and no other company in that only the original creditor is allowed to issue a default notice.

Now it is interesting that it is at this point that the new number starting 98XX comes into use ? Also, I note that they say the account is a RUNNING credit account.

It was my belief that this was a personal loan ? Please confirm.

If it was a personal loan on which no further borrowings were allowed then that is another fault in the DN Notice. Along with the number change as it does not identify the account properly.

Now we know that Retail Financial Services/GE Money/Capital/ First National are all part of the same company because their company registration numbers says so.

6. 10 September 2008. GE Money (Original Creditor) assigns the account to CL Finance. In respect of this move, the account is terminated with GE Money. As the DN has proved to be corrupt then this means they should not have assigned the account. The new number 98XX continues to be used.

7. November 2009. Letter from Santander. Who advise were previously GE Money (Full circle?) say they have taken over the administration of the account. They attempt to explain that the loan was taken out inclusive of the insurance with their Business partner HBOS.

This is the first time that HBOS has been mentioned.

8. December 2009 Santander advise that "all of the default notices WE have issued are compliant". This puts them firmly back in the camp with GE Money.. Who apparently assigned/sold the account on but are now "administering the account on behalf of CL Finance ??

9. In a further letter dated December 2009. Santander advise that " Santander Cards UK (formerly GE Money) acquired the business of HBOS and as such took over the administration of the accounts. We are therefore within our rights to assign the account to a third party and advise the account was assigned/sold to CL finance in August 2008".

10. Checking back with the Notice of Assignment, I see that it says

"We hereby give you notice that GE Capital Bank Limited trading as GE Money, have by assignment dated 31st December 2007 assigned to CL Finance Limited.. absolutely.. etc, etc ". The assignment is dated 10 September 2008:confused:

Why would they take 9 months to advise you of this. Was there any communication between you and GE Money in those 9 months.

It is my belief therefore that any refund for PPI should be reclaimed from GE Money.

However, there now appears to be further confusion with this assignment notice which according the rules.. MUST be correct also.

I will flag this post for more comment from the site team.

• Haha 1

BCOBS

Thanks CB - yes I also believe that serious misgiving are afoot in this lot. Your wizardy seems to establish ownership, which is possibly the crux of the matter herein.

I felt that GE (now entitled Santander) are the ones who should be giving back missold PPI).

And I reiterate ..........

We have letters relating to the new 982… acc no. from GE (with RFS title on the letter too) asking for payment from 3/1/08 and also 10/1/08- but it had already (questionably) been assigned by that particular time to CL.

And yes this was just a loan and the numering disorder does not ID the account properly

6. 10 September 2008. GE Money (Original Creditor) assigns the account to CL Finance. In respect of this move, the account is terminated with GE Money.
We need to watch this bit for the assignment to CL was earlier, on 31st Dec 07. GE only told me about this in Sept 08

As you rightly say - "why would they take 9 months to advise you of this"

For ref, the CL Notice of Assignment is on post 65, page 4 of this thread.

I will however see what others advise, before writing back to Santander.

Many questions have crawed out of the woodwork on this file and something is just not right.

Edited by questioner

Now it is interesting that it is at this point that the new number starting 98XX comes into use ? Also, I note that they say the account is a RUNNING credit account.

Yes - its was only ever a loan and never a CC- THE NOTICE OF ASSIGNMENT on post 65 states this too.

Its as if they changed the goal posts when the number was changed.

Ok, I have printed off all the paperwork you have sent me along with the stuff on the thread and think I have worked it out:grin: I think there has been some serious misleading going on from Santander. These are my observations.

1. The illegible agreement has the number starting 34XXXXX typed onto the document indicating this is the account number.

If the agreement is illegible then this is failure one. Documents must be legible, or they are worthless.

2. The illegible document states that the contract is between you and Retail Financial Services Ltd. The company registration number on that document is 3627629.

3. This agreement was couriered to you with a letter dated 2nd March 2005. This letter is from First National Personal Loans (a GE Company) and also bears the account number as 34XXXXX .

The company registration number is 3627629

This establishes ownership by GE Capital/Money.

4. On 18 January 2007. You receive a letter from GE Capital Personal Loan advising a payment returned. This letter also has headings indicating partnership with Retail Financial Services. On this letter at the bottom, it advises that Retail Financial Services are an appointed representative of The Bank of Scotland.

This letter also indicates the account number as 34XXX.

There can only be one creditor and one company at a time chasing a debt ( OFT guidelines ). They must not confuse the borrower.

5. in 2007 you receive a Default notice from GE Money. This notice is corrupt in that it states 14 days from date of letter in contravention of the regulations which says there must be a specific date and 14 clear days allowing time for postage dependant on what method of postal service is used.

The 14 days from date of letter is obviously incorrect in it's terminoligy. Some Judges lt this through when a specific date of rectification is not mentioned, just xxx days, however the DN fails within itself, in only allowing 14 days from date of notice. As you suggest, no time for service.

This proves that ownership is with GE Money/Capital (Retail Financial Services Ltd) and no other company in that only the original creditor is allowed to issue a default notice.

They cannot simply change the account number without notification, nor can they change it from a Loan account to Running credit account. The only time that they could possibly change the account number, is when it is terminated and charged off. An SAR should show this. This could be the point of termination, following defective DN.

It was my belief that this was a personal loan ? Please confirm.

If it was a personal loan on which no further borrowings were allowed then that is another fault in the DN Notice. Along with the number change as it does not identify the account properly.

Spot on, it must identify the account.

Now we know that Retail Financial Services/GE Money/Capital/ First National are all part of the same company because their company registration numbers says so.

6. 10 September 2008. GE Money (Original Creditor) assigns the account to CL Finance. In respect of this move, the account is terminated with GE Money. As the DN has proved to be corrupt then this means they should not have assigned the account. The new number 98XX continues to be used.

Adds weight to the point that the account number change was the point of termination.

7. November 2009. Letter from Santander. Who advise were previously GE Money (Full circle?) say they have taken over the administration of the account. They attempt to explain that the loan was taken out inclusive of the insurance with their Business partner HBOS.

:confused: Was the account sold back to CL, following absolute assignment?

This is the first time that HBOS has been mentioned.

8. December 2009 Santander advise that "all of the default notices WE have issued are compliant". This puts them firmly back in the camp with GE Money.. Who apparently assigned/sold the account on but are now "administering the account on behalf of CL Finance ??

Well they are wrong, providing that the DN was issued after the change from 7 to 14 days notice.

9. In a further letter dated December 2009. Santander advise that " Santander Cards UK (formerly GE Money) acquired the business of HBOS and as such took over the administration of the accounts. We are therefore within our rights to assign the account to a third party and advise the account was assigned/sold to CL finance in August 2008".

Any assignment between HBOS and Santander? Any assignment back to GE from CL?

They are within their rights to sell the account, providing they have a compliant DN.

10. Checking back with the Notice of Assignment, I see that it says

"We hereby give you notice that GE Capital Bank Limited trading as GE Money, have by assignment dated 31st December 2007 assigned to CL Finance Limited.. absolutely.. etc, etc ". The assignment is dated 10 September 2008:confused:

They must do this at the point of assignment

Why would they take 9 months to advise you of this. Was there any communication between you and GE Money in those 9 months.

It is my belief therefore that any refund for PPI should be reclaimed from GE Money.

Yes, they are the OC, so the PPI claim goes to them. If successful, this will also alter the amount stated in the DN and assignment value.

However, there now appears to be further confusion with this assignment notice which according the rules.. MUST be correct also.

I will flag this post for more comment from the site team.

Comments as requested.

Thanks Vint - all great input...:)

“Was the account sold back to CL, following absolute assignment? “

All I have is the assignment from GE to CL - which CL informed about a long time later.

“Any assignment between HBOS and Santander? Any assignment back to GE from CL?”

No – nothing to suggest this in our records.

Santander (GE) said in last letter to pay balance to CL and that their sale was all quite "legal". :eek:

Edited by questioner