Swapping Price Tags

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

But they don't have to be paid for if people did not shoplift and its the honest customers who must pay for the cost in the end. So the thieves who steal the goods should not pay and the people who don't should?

Shops do not operate for fun they buy goods at trade prices then sell them at retail and the difference allows for the costs of selling and a profit for the shop owner.

If no one steals things you would not have to allow for the cost of lost goods and expensive security equipment so you could sell the goods cheaper. Thats why shops are doomed and the internet will expand.

There are still a lot of goods ' lost ' in transit and shops WILL survive

No Pedross, shops are not doomed - not while I am still alive!! Nothing like a good browse to cheer yourself up and personally I like to try my clothes on before I buy. There's nowt so depressing as having to return an item you really like because it doesn't fit in real life :(.

I know what you mean and of course you are correct, I do go a bit over the top sometimes when making a point:-).

I'm out of this thread now.

How exactly is it betterment? The cheapest contract security officer may only get £6 an hour in wages, but the store will be paying 3 or 4 times that to have him on site. Factor in all of his managers, training costs, sia costs, holiday cover and insurance and suddenly it's getting pricey. You don't pay a plumber what you think he's worth, you pay the cost or you don't have the job done.

It's not like stores operate a recovery system covertly, they make it well known in an effort to deter potential crime!

Millions of pounds are spent every year on trying to stop theft, Cctv systems cost big money (and even bigger

money to maintain!). Rlp operate a service that retailers want and they are right to operate it. Simply put, if you don't want to pay, don't commit crime.

You have just confirmed to the whole world why they are so keen to grab someone, anyone, if they have done something wrong or not and why they illegally impose a sum that you or they cannot or will not justify and will not give a breakdown. RLP think they have found a way of making easy money and are getting in while the iron is hot.

The core objection to RLP and similar companies are that they set themselves up as Judge and Jury and appear always to find someone guilty, then 'fine' them.

This is contrary to our judicial system that not only presumes a person innocent, but gives them the right to defend themselves in a court of law.

When the income of RLP depends on finding as many people 'guilty' as possible, and sending them a 'fine', you have a recipe for intimidation of the weak and vulnerable, and a gross miscarriage of justice.

They also appear to have no genuine appeal process unless the media are involved.

What happens I wonder if you buy something but someone else has swapped the price tag. The purchaser has acted completely in good faith without any idea that there is anything wrong. Thanks to the likes of TK Maxx and their jumble sale system of store operation, a completely innocent person could be accused of something they aren't even aware of. What would happen then?

Nothing would happen to them. They would just be told that the ticket had somehow been attached to the wrong item. The most that would happen would be a member of security being informed, who might follow them on CCTV. But if your doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about, right?

Nothing would happen to them. They would just be told that the ticket had somehow been attached to the wrong item. The most that would happen would be a member of security being informed, who might follow them on CCTV. But if your doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about, right?

I remember reading on here about someone who got done in Boots. Picked up 3 for 2 type items (or similar promotion) and paid at checkout. Then got busted as apparently the items were marked up wrongly!

So unfortunately the above doesnt seem to be the case even if logically and morally, it should be....

Yorky

• 1 year later...

I just get caught for swapping the price tag for a pair of shoes that originally doesn't have price to another shoes next to it. The security called me to the back room with another staff. The security asked for an ID and gave me the "banning notice" and RLP (notice of intended civil recovery) letter. I admit that was a very silly mistake and I was very unlucky though there are many other customers who does the same. I wanted to know how much the estimated (range) amount that The Retail Loss Prevention Limted company will ask me to pay. Many thanks! I've learn my lesson today :)

How does £280 sound? Or £112.18.... perhaps £160?

The truth is, the figure is absolutely random, depending on the company - but usually into 3 figures as a 'deterrant'. Whilst clearly you should have not entertained the thought of deception, RLP is the same as private parking companies. If you can ride out the storm of letters, not much will happen. Having checked on my local court for over 6 months (in a large CITY) RLP has never taken anyone to court for this 'debt'. Probably because they know that judges dislike their circumvention of the court system to line the pockets of private enterprise. If the 'crime' was serious enough, the police would be involved. If not, these private firms have seen an opportunity and hope to coin it in.

The crime of price swapping is classed as deception.You can not have attempted deception (someone HAS to be deceived to have a deception,) so no crime occurred.

Just seen this and must correct it.

Price swapping IS theft, see R v Morris [1984] AC 320.

And of course you can attempt a fraud. The very nature of an attempt is that the actual crime does not happen - it is inchoate