Jobcentre/ESA and interview problems?

mazbck
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Stange one here which I think could come back and bite my son in the behind.

My son applied for ESA back in June and everything went OK, claim went through and he got his money with no problems, however, he was invited to a Pathways to Work interview on 12/08/09 which he attended, and as he is disabled, I went with him as well.

He has now came off ESA as he started college today, and the final sick note has been sent in.

On Sat past he gets a letter asking why he had not attended his interview, and that to call them and he should have a proper reason why he wasnt there. I called them today and there is no record at all of him attending for this interview. Even when I explained that I was there with him as I had to hand in documents for myself, the advisor still insists he didnt appear.:?

I also explained that he has now signed back to work, and was told OK dont worry about the letter.

I am very worried incase they come back to him to say that as he did not attend the interview he will have to pay all the benefit he recieved, should I follow up with a letter explaining that he did attend that day?

I am very worried incase they come back to him to say that as he did not attend the interview he will have to pay all the benefit he recieved, should I follow up with a letter explaining that he did attend that day?

Hi mazbck,

The kind of jobcentre incompetence you describe is all too sadly typical.

I think the first thing to do is check that your son has been paid all his ESA up to 31 August. It should appear in his bank records, if that's how he receives the money. Check the mini statement facility on the cashpoint.

The danger is not that they will ask for money back but that, in the false belief he did not attend the interview, they will have already stopped his benefits.

Anyway, check that first.

If he has received the money then you are probably okay to leave the matter there (but keep notes and paperwork in case of problems in the future).

If he has not received the money then post again here. I have good ideas what to do next.

Whatever happens, let us know. Good luck!:)

He was paid last week, so only has 5 days money to get, I know its not much, but would really help him out until his bursary comes through.

That sounds very promising. I doubt he has a sanction on his claim, and the last five days money should come through in the next few days.

If it doesn't come through by next Monday then post again.

Hope your son had a good first day at college.:)

Edited by FitzWilliam

For ESA they can only sanction part of the benefit (the additional bit known as a component.) A decision to sanction carries a right of appeal to a trinubal so eyewitness evidence of attending should be conclusive.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

• 1 year later...

Don't they have security cameras in these places due to all the hate they get and abuse? you should put in a complaint and tell them what day you went, approx time you entered the building and left and tell them to check their security cameras, chances are they would probably drop it because then they would know they are just messing people about and that they wouldn't be let away with it.