Orange Contract Help Please!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all i'm looking for some help if possible.

Yesterday i purchased a HTC Hero mobile phone on a 24 Month Contract with Orange i was told that i would get Orange maps with Sat Nav for this handset FOC. So i get home last night attempt to set up the Sat Nav service and find out that the phone is not compatible with the service.

I attempted to return the handset and cancel the contract as none of the other handsets in the store were suitable to me, i am then told that i can not cancel the contract and return the handset.

Surely i must have some rights to return this handset????

Help please people :(:(:(

Edited by simmo0020

Hi,

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum, where hopefully you'll get some help.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

No problem, just need someone to help you now :)

Hi,

Yes, I'll change the title, I've had a look and the usual posters in the Forum, ain't on-line at the moment, but will be shortly, I hope :)

You will get help, might just take a few hours.

Regards.

Scott.

Two thoughts - this was an upgrade, or a new contract?

If the latter, was the decision to get the Hero led by you on advice from the staff, or did someone there at the shop specifically tell you that the mapping service was provided FoC? Finally, WHY is it incomparible?

Two thoughts - this was an upgrade, or a new contract?

If the latter, was the decision to get the Hero led by you on advice from the staff, or did someone there at the shop specifically tell you that the mapping service was provided FoC? Finally, WHY is it incomparible?

Hi thanks for the reply, yes it was a new contract, the sales assistant did promote the orange maps sat nav as being available on the Hero however it has transpired it's not!!!

Since your decision to purchase was based on the information provided by the sales staff, if the phone does not work as promised/claimed by them, then you have every right to reject under SOGA - as your need for the mapping program was part of your decision to purchase the contract/handset. (You only have 14 days to repudiate the contract).

Are you sure the service isn;t really compatible? I cannot imagine Orange launching a new handset then not supporting it with their promotion.

UPDATE: I found out why.

Up until the Hero - all HTC's handsets used Windows Mobile OS as standard. The new Hero ISN'T a WM handset, but one using Android - Google's New Phone OS. And naturally with a new OS, all standard software is going to be OS specific, and Orange Maps won;t be available until they do an Android front end. If mapping is a deal breaker, then you'll have to go to another HTC. If you can await until they get the client sorted, you might not have long to wait!

As for the staff error - it is an easy mistake to make, not ideal, but a mistake nevertheless!

Edited by buzby
  • Haha 1

Since your decision to purchase was based on the information provided by the sales staff, if the phone does not work as promised/claimed by them, then you have every right to reject under SOGA - as your need for the mapping program was part of your decision to purchase the contract/handset. (You only have 14 days to repudiate the contract).

Are you sure the service isn;t really compatible? I cannot imagine Orange launching a new handset then not supporting it with their promotion.

UPDATE: I found out why.

Up until the Hero - all HTC's handsets used Windows Mobile OS as standard. The new Hero ISN'T a WM handset, but one using Android - Google's New Phone OS. And naturally with a new OS, all standard software is going to be OS specific, and Orange Maps won;t be available until they do an Android front end. If mapping is a deal breaker, then you'll have to go to another HTC. If you can await until they get the client sorted, you might not have long to wait!

As for the staff error - it is an easy mistake to make, not ideal, but a mistake nevertheless!

Thanks for the excellent reply, gonna reject under the SOGA i'll keep you posted

Anytime. I've just heard that the (rather excellent) Co-Pilot GPS Phone software is now available for Android handsets for £24.00 - so another solution would be that if they cannot provide you with Orange Maps for Android, they should give you a £35 credit so you can get the Co-Pilot equivalent.

If they refuse to deal with you, then you need to get the address for escalated disputes, explaining that you will then return the handset (via Special Delivery) and will ewquire the additional cost for doing so to be reclaimed from them as part of your refund.

Anytime. I've just heard that the (rather excellent) Co-Pilot GPS Phone software is now available for Android handsets for £24.00 - so another solution would be that if they cannot provide you with Orange Maps for Android, they should give you a £35 credit so you can get the Co-Pilot equivalent.

If they refuse to deal with you, then you need to get the address for escalated disputes, explaining that you will then return the handset (via Special Delivery) and will ewquire the additional cost for doing so to be reclaimed from them as part of your refund.

Already took the phone back into the store the day after purchase and because the manager wasn't there they wouldn't do anything but basically the assistant manager tried to fob me off, they were very rude as well. I walked out the store and left the handset in their possesion.

I want the contract cancelled their customer service is disgracefull, they even tried to lie to me and say that they only said the contract had the maps service and not the handset!!!!

I don't want the co-pilot equivalent they haven't delivered on what they promised

Naughty. Not all the phones support the Mapping service (as you know), so trying to sell this as a 'benefit' of the contract - when you cannot use it, is a pretty lame excuse!

Exactly so they can offer me a tomtom satnav for all i care i wouldn't accept my so far short lived experience with Orange hasn't been good

You could say that for all networks, really - but dont escalate your distress out of all proportion. It was an error that this HTC handset cannot use the mapping service. If they can confirm it will be available on Android in (say) 28 days, your argument is considerably weakened, as the pone would then do what the salesman suggested.

I'm assuming your using this as a 'get out' because you don't actually like the handset?