Meritforce, can anyone help

vls1251
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've been reading through some old threads and realised there are some fab people out there who may be able to help me.

I recently recieved a letter from Meritforce claiming I owed money to GUS Home Shopping Group. I have no recollection of the debt so I (possibly stupidly) rang to get further information. They have told me the debt goes back to 2002 and no communication has been forthcoming in the period between then and now. I have not acknowledged the debt, which I have no record of. Even though I spoke to them regarding the debt can I still send your template letter regarding statute barred debts, since there is, by their admission, a seven year gap of no payment?

Hi,

I've been reading through some old threads and realised there are some fab people out there who may be able to help me.

I recently recieved a letter from Meritforce claiming I owed money to GUS Home Shopping Group. I have no recollection of the debt so I (possibly stupidly) rang to get further information. They have told me the debt goes back to 2002 and no communication has been forthcoming in the period between then and now. I have not acknowledged the debt, which I have no record of. Even though I spoke to them regarding the debt can I still send your template letter regarding statute barred debts, since there is, by their admission, a seven year gap of no payment?

Yes, Send the SB letter.

You have to make a payment on the account for it not to be SB'd.

If there is a clear 6 years without payment, the SB cannot be undone.

.......my debt is to GUS homeshopping as well and I don't really recall owing to this company thinking about it;...(look at my Thread)

Sounds like an almost identical letter. They claim to have bought the debt a month and a half ago from another company. I certainly won't be paying a penny. The guy I spoke to encouraged me to phone the police to report identity theft when I told him I had no recollection of the debt. Maybe I should report them instead.

And I URGE you to report this to the Office Of Fair Trading too...!!

Although I do strongly agree with you you, they have not really done anything wrong yet :p

They are well within their rights to ask you to pay the debt. They are only breaking rules 'Once' they have been told you will not be paying them.

Jogs

Although I do strongly agree with you you, they have not really done anything wrong yet :p

They are well within their rights to ask you to pay the debt. They are only breaking rules 'Once' they have been told you will not be paying them.

Jogs

Wasn't planning to report them yet anyway. I'll wait and see what their reply is to the SB letter. Thanks for your advice, and thanks to everyone else too. I'll let you know if they write back.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi people.

I need some help again. Despite sending the statute barred letter to Meritforce they are continuing to hassle me. They are constantly phoning my old address and have just sent a final demand letter. I don't know what my next step should be. Do I call them, write to them or simply ignore it?

Thanks in advance of your assistance.

Report them to the oft trading standards and your mp, and send them this

(Address)

(Date)

Dear Sir / Madam

For the purposes of clarity and the avoidance of doubt, please take careful note of the following :

1. This letter is sent to you to avoid any “miscommunication” and to give an unequivocal statement of intent.

2. This letter does not acknowledge any debt owed to you or your affiliates, agents, owners or otherwise.

3. I understand this debt was last acknowledged over 6 years ago and falls within the remit of s.5 of the Limitation Act 1980 (which, in case you need reminding, states that an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after 6 years from the date on which the cause of action occurred).

4. I wrote to your company on (XXXXX) explaining that I had no wish to pay towards a debt that was barred by the Statute Of Limitations Act 1980, this was signed for by your company on (XXXXX)

5. I am now of the view that your actions are of pure harrassment and in breach of CPUTR 2008 in line with the Office Of Fair Tradings guidance on debt collection.

6. The same guidance states it is unfair to pursue a payment after a debtor has already stated they will not be paying due to it being statute barred. I am informing you once again,that even if the debt were mine, I would not pay it.

7. I am sure you are also aware of the provisions of the Protection from Harrassment Act, which makes it an offence to harass a person with a demand for payment, or concerting with others to do the same. Whilst the Act provides relief, it is available only where it is permissible in law to take the offending action (which, as pointed out, it is not lawful as it is statute barred), as well as that action being reasonable.

OPTIONAL PARAGRAPHS IF A 'DOORSTEP' VISIT IS BEING THREATENED

8. You have stated that they would send a debt collector to my address. I refer again to the OFT guidance on this matter, specifically at paragraph 2.12d (entering a property when not invited), 2.12e (failure to leave a property when asked to do so) and 2.12f (visiting or threatening to visit without prior permission when the debt is disputed).

9. Furthermore, you are reminded as to the common law provision which allows presumed consent of visiting without prior agreement (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 396). As such, I am notifying you that I do not give consent to you or your agents etc or employees entering my property.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not wish for any person acting in any manner relating to this debt to visit my property nor do I wish to make any appointment. Any person who visits my property in relation to this alleged debt shall be immediately evicted, using whatever force is reasonable and necessary, and I shall have no hesitation in gaining the presence and/or assistance of the police to do so. Furthermore, damages shall be sought under the tort of trespass.

I trust the above is perfectly clear and I now expect you to forward me your official complaints procedures within 7 days. Failure to do so will result in me filing complaints with the Offfice Of Fair Trading, The Financial Ombudsman Service, Trading Standards, my local MP, and Gareth Thomas - Undersecretary Of State For Trade And Consumer Affairs.

I hope this letter makes my position COMPLETELY clear

Yours faithfully

Hi people.

I need some help again. Despite sending the statute barred letter to Meritforce they are continuing to hassle me. They are constantly phoning my old address and have just sent a final demand letter. I don't know what my next step should be. Do I call them, write to them or simply ignore it?

Thanks in advance of your assistance.

Refuse to answer security questions if you speak to them on phone...

Meritforce are the same company as Mackenzie Hall, so their blatant disregard for the rules & regulations should not come as a suprise to anymore.

Ignore these fools, ive dealt with them myself before - they soon go away once they see they are getting nowhere with you. :rolleyes:

Not sure what to do now. The letter's good. I may need to tweak it a little though to suit my circumstances. I'm also seriously considering just ignoring them though. Having read some other threads regarding the company I'm not convinced they'll continue to persue if I leave them alone. My only concern is the stress they're causing the resident of my old address. They badger her alsmost daily for my current whereabouts and have been quite threatening from what she's said.

Does anyone else have any advice. Just don't want to make the wrong move.

Their latest letter has given me 7 days before they take further action. They've made a FINAL OFFER, though it is the first offer they've made! I think I'll give them their 7 days and then if they contact me again I'll send the letter above.

Not sure what to do now. The letter's good. I may need to tweak it a little though to suit my circumstances. I'm also seriously considering just ignoring them though. Having read some other threads regarding the company I'm not convinced they'll continue to persue if I leave them alone. My only concern is the stress they're causing the resident of my old address. They badger her alsmost daily for my current whereabouts and have been quite threatening from what she's said.

Does anyone else have any advice. Just don't want to make the wrong move.

Report to OFT and Police.