Here's one to make us smile!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Two days ago (18th Aug 2009) I received an unsecured email from a well-known debt collector, alleging a debt of less than three-thousand pounds going back to 1994. A few days ago they coaxed my elderly sister in England to giving them my home address and email address. (I am retired, living in Asia) They admitted in the email that the well-known British bank closed the account in 1994 and sold off the alleged debt. In a second email they also confirmed that no original credit agreement is in existence, but quoted the alleged agreement number. They want to know how and when I intend to pay them! During all this time, I haven't received any communication, and so obviously haven't acknowleged the alleged debt. I have sent them an email version of the Statute Barred letter. But surely emails aren't accepted as proof of communication?

Mmm! Whose is the most threatening? Their demand or the content of the statute barred letter? But seriously, I don't know if emails are acceptable in the legal requirements in this field. Thanks for the comment.

Yes they are. Emails are used regularly both in legal & financial circles and are often produced as evidence of communication.

Some programs such as Outlook have a function where you can request receipt of delivery too, although the recipient can refuse it. So I tend to make hard copies of important emails & also open the email 'properties' and make a hard copy of that too. The properties gives all the details of the email including dates, servers used, IP addresses etc. ;)

It took just 48 hours to receive the final letter from the debt collectors, confirming the case is now closed and no further action will be taken. Thanks to everyone contributing on this helpful forum, and especially the brilliant wording of the library letters. Good luck to you all.

I would tread very carefully with this one if I were you.

This does not sound like a Debt Collection Agency at all this sounds like a [problem]. I have worked for several Debt Collection Agencies and never have we contacted a customer by e-mail.

Also ask your self this. Which Debt Collection Agency in the right mind would send a letter/e-mail to a debtor stating that the debt is statute barred and unenforceable and that they have no credit agreement when asking for payment.

I would not even grace this with a reply.

This does not sound like a Debt Collection Agency at all this sounds like a [problem]. I have worked for several Debt Collection Agencies and never have we contacted a customer by e-mail.
DCAs email all the time, besides when it's the only method of contact they have they have little choice. :rolleyes: