Re: Court Costs

Tashy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. Please help me with bill of costs: i been LIP for year, then for year i had support from solicitor, after this year i continued doing my case as LIP. The solicitor served me her bill, i calculated all my costs but don't know how to put her total into my bill. It is a bill with detailed assesmant. Thanks for any assistance and advice

Thank you for reply, but this form just for summary costs, in my situation, under the court order, it have to be in detailed assessment. The solicitor sent me the following msg: Please note that this bill of costs was drawn up for claiming our costs back from the LSC and not the defendants. Therefore it is not an accurate reflection of what you can expect to recover from the defendants." but LSC will be asks the legal costs/solicitor costs from me. I could not understand how I have to put the solicitors' costs into my bill of costs: for example if my costs as LiP is £5,000 and the solicitors' bill for £9,000, logically i could not just add her costs to my because its would be summary costs? ? Have anyone any ideas? Thank you for any reply

Tashy

As a Litigant in Person, you can claim for all the time spent on defending the case. Unless you can prove loss of income (eg taking time off to attend court ) you can only claim £9.25 per hour. That might not seem much but you can claim much longer to do the work than a solicitor would take. The only limit is that a LiPs bill cannot exceed 2/3rds of the amount a solicitor would charge for the same work.

In addition, if you engaged a solicitor as an expert to assist you, you can claim the cost of employing a solicitor as a 'disbursement'.

It looks like yu have been asked for a detailed assessment. I've attached a Bill that was posted on the site on a different thread. I used it to calculate my own costs on a recent case.

When it came to 'Work Done' I just went through everything in my file and had a guess how long it took to receive and read a letter or to draft a response etc. For example, I claimed the following for starters

Receiving and considering the Claim Form and the Particulars of Claim - 2 hrs £18.50

Searching for and locating paperwork for the alleged account - 2.5 hrs £ 23.13

Acknowledgment of Service - 1 hr £9.25.

The details were not queried but I got an offer of just over 2/3rds of my total bill of costs, so I accepted.

Draft%20LiP%20bill%20of%20costs%20for%20detailed%20assessment[1].pdf

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

I’m LIP, win ridiculous amount of money in my Appeal at the High Court where I was represented. Last sentence of skeleton argument is “ It is possible that the Appellant may have some costs as a litigant in person also.”

This week I got draft judgment I didn’t find there any decision regarding my costs and ask the court “Why?”

The court replied

The court recognises that there is of course no reason why Ms X should not now be entitled to make an application for costs, and if she wishes to do so, the court will consider it. To that end the court directs that Ms X must by 4 pm on Wednesday 25 May 2011 submit by email to me and also to Mr X the nature of her application, explaining what costs she is applying for and the basis on which she is doing so.”

I’m stuck and need help because its not clear for me what kind of documents I have to serve by that day.

If I have to lodge N244 I’m not sure what have to write in a box -What order are you asking the court and why? And have to attached a Draft of the order I’m applying for. What other documents?

Would very appreciate your urgent response and help to draft this order. Thanks in adwance

You do not need to file a N244 - the court has clearly asked you to send an e-mail listing your costs.

The e-mail should of course give the names of appellant and respondant, claim number, etc. It should then give a shedule of your costs as outlined above by Docman