What happens next?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5429 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently sold a vehicle, told buyer all the issues the vehicle had and provided them with a sold as seen receipt. They are now saying didnt tell them. I dod and so did my partner!!! Do you think I should take it back from them?

Does the receipt say "sold as seen"? I don't know the exact law concerning "sold as seen", but it is going to make a difference whether you have evidence that it was sold "sold as seen". If you don't have a carbon copy of the receipt, you could ask the buyers to provide you with a copy of the receipt and see what they come up with.

Here's someone asking a question from the other side of the coin. Not your buyer is it?

sold as seen - urgent advise needed - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

"Sold as seen" means exactly that. They saw it and agreed to buy it, contract agreed, deal done. It is up to them to find the faults, and ,as long as the faults did not render the car dangerous, you are in the clear.

If it had mechanical issues then unless you are a mechanic by trade you were naturally unaware of any problems. Indeed had you been aware of the problems you would have told them- which they said you didn't.

"Sold as seen"--do not take it back unless the vehicle is dangerous and would fail an MOT. Not your problem "let the buyer beware" is the motto.

Sold as seen is meaningless in most cases. It can only be used for some visual aspect i.e, something that you can easily see. In fact, a business having a sign saying "sold as seen" can commit an offence.

Ideally you should have provided a written description of the vehicle, have the buyer sign two copies and keep one each.

As it is a private sale, the only comeback the buyer has is a misdescription or if the vehicle is unroadworthy. The former is difficult to prove as it is their word against yours.

Thanks all, The vehicle had a brand new MOT before it was sold, also I told them all of the faults that needed to be sorted out. Did not hide anything and was as honest as I could be, I am not a mechanic or expert in any way and spent quite a substanial sum getting the vehicle inspected to ensure it was safe.

I would suggest that you contact Trading Standards for advice. Basically it is his word against yours, you say you told him he says you didn't. Just what were the faults that the buyer considers so important as to want to call the deal off.

Did the buyer inspect the car before purchase.If he did then as a private seller you are on fairly safe ground in telling him to get lost.If he didn't, then he is to blame if it is not as expected.

Although an MOT only indicates the condition at the time of inspection, a brand new one does indicate it is probably legally roadworthy.

It does sound as if having bought your car, they are now having second thoughts. You are fairly safe in ignoring the buyer unless they issue a court summons, in which case plenty of people here to help you contest it.

If he contacts you again, tell him that he bought it as seen, and you have a witness to the transaction and everything that was said, and that if he finds this unacceptable, to take legal advice.