• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hfc/Restons default judgement/co - struck out - now new claim!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that SteveH2508,

I'll make the suggested amendments to the draft in a moment. I rang the Court today, to confirm when I'm likely to receive my Court Directions. I was informed, there is a backlog, and that I should receive them before the end of this week. Can't do much about that. Just as well CB sugested to get the draft defence together!;)

Thanks again!

At last! The Court docs have arrived. Because I live in a rural area, the post arrives pm instead of am. Anyway, I will quote the DJ's order verbatim:

It is ordered that

1. Leave granted to the Defendant to amend his defence by 4pm on 18 November 2009.

2. Leave granted to the Defendant to apply by 4pm on 18 November 2009, for an order that the case shall be struck out as an abuse of process.

3.Leave granted to the Claimant to file in Court their statement in reply within 14 days of receipt of the Defendants statement.

4. Application of the Defendants be listed for a hearing on the 7 January 2010 at 15.00 with a time estimate of 1 hour.

Need to dot the I's and cross the T's. If I understand correctly, the support and advice to date would imply, that I submit the draft 'amended defence', as previously posted, before or on next Wednesday. Also, a completed Form N244. ( checked with Court - I have to pay a fee of £75 ) Can anyone help with the N244? Most of the form is straight forward, other than the following:

Part A (2) - " intend to apply for an order ( a draft of which is attached ) that"

Do I put in here 'Strike out'?

Part A (3) - "because"

Can I put 'please see attached amended defence'?

Part B - I (we) wish to rely on: tick one box

a-The attached ( witness statement)(affidavit)

b-My statement of case

c-Evidence in Part C in support of my application

Should I choose a/b or c ?

Part C - I (We) wish to rely on the following evidence in support of this application:

Can I put 'please see attached amended defence'?

Some other points I'm not clear about are:

Do I submit my amended defence, with a copy, so the court can issue this to the Claimant, or do I send a copy to the Claimant?

A Hearing has been arranged for 7 January 2010. Will this be the final Hearing, and is it normal to set aside 1 hour for this?

Other members have suggested I apply for costs. Can anyone explain how I do this? Is this request put on the N244 at the same time as the 'Strike out' request? Also, If I did win costs, how would they be paid to me? Given my experience of the Claimant solicitor, I cant imagine them sending me a cheque for an agreed sum. I honestly dont understand the costs situation. Any explanation would be appreciated.

I would be most greatful for any advice or help on the above points.

Yours in anticipation.

At last! The Court docs have arrived. Because I live in a rural area, the post arrives pm instead of am. Anyway, I will quote the DJ's order verbatim:

It is ordered that

1. Leave granted to the Defendant to amend his defence by 4pm on 18 November 2009.

This is almost complete isnt it ?:D

2. Leave granted to the Defendant to apply by 4pm on 18 November 2009, for an order that the case shall be struck out as an abuse of process.

Yep, we can sort this out as well. Might need some input from others, will alert those that can help for you. :D

3.Leave granted to the Claimant to file in Court their statement in reply within 14 days of receipt of the Defendants statement.

4. Application of the Defendants be listed for a hearing on the 7 January 2010 at 15.00 with a time estimate of 1 hour.

Need to dot the I's and cross the T's. If I understand correctly, the support and advice to date would imply, that I submit the draft 'amended defence', as previously posted, before or on next Wednesday. Also, a completed Form N244. ( checked with Court - I have to pay a fee of £75 ) Can anyone help with the N244? Most of the form is straight forward, other than the following:

Part A (2) - " intend to apply for an order ( a draft of which is attached ) that"

Do I put in here 'Strike out'?

Part A (3) - "because"

Can I put 'please see attached amended defence'? - Yes

Part B - I (we) wish to rely on: tick one box

a-The attached ( witness statement)(affidavit)

b-My statement of case

c-Evidence in Part C in support of my application

Should I choose a/b or c ?

Not sure whether it should be a or b will check

Part C - I (We) wish to rely on the following evidence in support of this application:

Can I put 'please see attached amended defence'? I think so. You will also need to include copies of any documents you will be relying on, if any.

Some other points I'm not clear about are:

Do I submit my amended defence, with a copy, so the court can issue this to the Claimant, or do I send a copy to the Claimant?

On the N244 there is a box which asks who is to be served with the application you tick "Claimant" You should include 3 complete copies of the N244 and the Defence. One copy will be stamped and sent back to you, one copy will be sent to the Claimant and one copy will be kept by the court. If there is a lot of paperwork then file it neatly and chronologically in a folder.

A Hearing has been arranged for 7 January 2010. Will this be the final Hearing, and is it normal to set aside 1 hour for this?

Usually between 1 - 2 hours. If the Judge grants your application then yes, it should be the end of it all.

Other members have suggested I apply for costs. Can anyone explain how I do this? Is this request put on the N244 at the same time as the 'Strike out' request? Also, If I did win costs, how would they be paid to me? Given my experience of the Claimant solicitor, I cant imagine them sending me a cheque for an agreed sum. I honestly dont understand the costs situation. Any explanation would be appreciated.

You will be including a "Draft Order" one item will be that the Claimant do pay the Claimants costs of the claim in the sum of £ XXX.XX within 14 days. Will sort that out a bit later. You will need to work out how much it has cost you to apply for this Strike out, including the fee to submit the application. So keep a note of the time it has taken you to prepare your statement of case/defence. Also the time taken to research any law/ regulations, etc. Plus printing costs, paper. Travel to court to for filing and as you have an estimated time for the hearing you can also include the hour for that, your time to get there and back.

All your time should be billed at £9.25 hour which is the standard Litigant in Person charge. I am sure others will be able to think of other things you need to include if I have missed anything :)

I would be most greatful for any advice or help on the above points.

Yours in anticipation.

Hope the above is of some help, meanwhile I will try and find some more knowledgeable help in getting this strike out application sorted for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I am just finding information that will help with the application to strike out.

I think that CPR 3.4(2) (b) applies in this instance

PART 3 - THE COURT’S CASE MANAGEMENT POWERS - Ministry of Justice

The court may strike out a statement of case if it appears to the court-

(a) that the statement of case discloses no reasonable grounds for bringing or defending the claim;

(b) that the statement of case is an abuse of the court’s process or is otherwise likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings; or

© that there has been a failure to comply with a rule, practice direction or court order.

Practice direction 1.5

PRACTICE DIRECTION – STRIKING OUT A STATEMENT OF CASE - Ministry of Justice

The following article is an interesting read in respect of "abuse of process"

Strike out for abuse of process: guidance for making and resisting applications | The Law Gazette

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Just one thought, for the N244 application to strike out.. is Clynite the claimant or the defendant. :confused:

BCOBS

Many thanks for your input and advice CB,

Just to confirm - I am ( Clynite ), the defendant. If Im correct, I have to submit relevant docs by Wednesday 18/11/09. At this stage, they will be 1. My amended defence, 2. N244 application for 'strike out'.

Should I amend my defence to read "abuse of court process under 'CPR 3.4(2) (b)' as suggested? My previous defence, as posted just cites "CPR 3.4".

I've read your recommended article ie Practice direction 1.5

PRACTICE DIRECTION – STRIKING OUT A STATEMENT OF CASE - Ministry of Justice

and ask, if the posted draft 'amended defence' is suitable as is, or do I need to edit/correct it as it stands?

Regards and thanks Peter

Edited by Clynite

I am hoping to hand deliver my 'amended defence' and N244 application for strike out, Monday or Tues, Wednesday the latest. Below is the edited version of my defence. Is this suitable and sufficient in its current form? I would be greatful for any further editorial suggestions.

"I, xxxx, am a Litigant in Person and make application for a strike out of this application for reinstatement of this claim for the following reasons:

1. The Claimant, xxxx, issued a summons in the xxxx County Court on xxxx. The Defendant issued his defence on xxx. The Claimant was ordered to file and serve a response to the Defendants defence by/on xxxx if they wished to continue with the claim. The Claimant failed to comply and the court permitted the Claimant a further three months in which to comply. The Claimant was notified of this on xxxx. Again the Claimant failed to comply and the case was ‘struck out’ on xxxx. That order was evidently, not appealed within the time limits set by the Court and therefore remains the order of the Court in relation to the issue.

2. Since the cause of action in this claim is identical to their previous claim and the earlier proceedings were dealt with by a Court then the doctrine of estoppel known as res judicata applies and this action should be deemed an abuse of Court process as that described by Sir James Wigram V.-C. in Henderson v Henderson (1843) 3 Hare 100 at 114: "In trying this question I believe I state the rule of the Court correctly when I say that, where a given matter becomes the subject of litigation in, and of adjudication by, a court of competent jurisdiction, the Court requires the parties to that litigation to bring forward their whole case, and will not (except under special circumstances) permit the same parties to open the same subject of litigation in respect of matter which might have been brought forward as part of the subject in contest, but which was not brought forward, only because they have, from negligence, inadvertence, or even accident, omitted part of their case. The plea of res judicata applies, except in special cases, not only to points upon which the Court was actually required by the parties to form an opinion and pronounce a judgment, but to every point which properly belonged to the subject of litigation, and which the parties, exercising reasonable diligence, might have brought forward at the time."

3. The cause of action now relied upon merged with the order striking out the claim which was not appealed and remains the decision of the Court on the set of facts forming the second claim

4. The Claimant has implied ( letter supplied to the Court ) that I have requested a stay of proceedings in order to resolve the matter amicably. I refute this, and have put the Claimant to strict proof of this claim. They have failed to supply me with this evidence.

5. The Claimant has admitted in writing that this is a re-presentation of the same claim made previously.

6. The Claimant was given the opportunity to assess the validity of my previous defence and was offered two opportunities to progress with the previous claim. They did not take those opportunities. The Claimant is being vexatious and anachronistic in the issuing of this application and I therefore request that the Court strikes out this order as an abuse of process under CPR3.4. The Claimant has no reasonable prospect of success and I request that the court denies the Claimant permission to reinstate this claim.

Also, should I attach a copy of the letter I sent Restons, requesting 'strict proof' of their claim, I requested a stay of proceedings? They have failed to answer my request.

Regards Peter

Hi Clynite

On CB's advice, I've just read through your thread properly for the first time - phew, you've really been put through the mill by this lot of arrogant bees haven't you? :mad:

Your defence looks fine to me as it stands. It's appears that the DJ just wants you to put the final nail in the coffin so he has the authority to bury this one. So moving on to the N244 applic, suggest you put in (3):

(1) An order (a draft of which is attached) that the claim be struck out pursuant to Rule 3.4(2)(b) PD of the Civil Procedure Rules

(2) That if this claim is struck out, the court considers the making of an Extended Civil Restraint Order against the claimant pursuant to Rule 3.11(3(1)3 PD of the Civil Procedure Rules

for the following reasons:

(1) This claim is an abuse of court rules & procedures, the original claim that mirrors this one having been struck out by xxxx on xxxx (see attached amended defence)

(2) The claimant has issued two claims that are totally without merit & the defendant does not wish to endure further harassment by the repetition of a similar future claim being served on him by the same claimant.

In Section 10 you need to tick witness statement. I'll come back to that one later.

In the meantime draft order:

IN THE ******* County Court Claim No:

BETWEEN:

xxxxxx

Claimant

and

xxxxxx

Defendant

DRAFT ORDER

UPON reading the Defendants Application Notice dated xxxx, attached defence and witness statement

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

• This claim is struck out forthwith

• The Claimant do pay the Defendant’s costs of the application, in the sum of £xxxx by no later than xxxx or at an amount to be assessed by the court.

I assume you are OK with the rest of the form - if not shout...

I'll have a think about the content of the WS.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Hi foolishgirl,

Thanks for looking in and offering your advice. Thanks to CB also:)

I'm away now to compose the Draft Order, as suggested by yourself.

I'm also going to update my N244 as per your advice.

I'l await your recommendations on the WS.

Many thanks - couldn't do it without you:)

Clynite

Just a quick update. I'm nearly there, I've updated the N244 ( the one I had was a different format to the generic one, so I downloaded a generic one from CB's link ) based on FG's advice, the amended defence is complete and the draft order also. Just the WS to do, if FG so advises. Please excuse my naivety, but I didn't know what a draft order was, let alone being able to produce one, phew! Just to re-cap; I will be submitting:

An Amended Defence, N244 Application, Draft order and possible a WS.

and I should provide the Court with a total of three copies- one for the court, one for the claimant and one will be returned to me.

Thanks for your support:)

Hi Clynite

Not had much time today (got papers of my own to prepare for this week) but the WS will just really be a stronger version of your defence putting everything in the first person. However you need to submit it with the app. as although the DJ is aware of & has asked for an amended defence, that's not part of your application for the strike out. I know it sounds crazy, bear with it. I'll try & post up something tomorrow.

Don't forget to get your costs together too but that doesn't go in until you get your strike out.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Hello FG

Thanks for your help. Im having trouble getting my head around the WS - first person aspect/content etc, is it possible for me to somehow duplicate my amended defence statement or state please see attached amended defence statement, or something similar. Sorry to be a pain. Also, you suggest claiming costs on the draft order, do I put a final cost figure here, or do I have to provide a breakdown of expenses etc. I have to submit everything by 4.00 pm Wednesday.

Thanks Clynite.

Edited by Clynite

WASTED COSTS THREADS

Have a look at the pdf's that Surfaceagentx20 has attached at the bottom of the post on a letter for wasted costs -

Surfaceagentx20 wasted costs

also

Liabilty for Costs CPR 38.6

Sharpman v Nationwide credit card services ***WON WITH WASTED COSTS***

Welcome/Cohens - case withdrawn ***WOO-HOO ***

have a look at this post by IGNM on costs as well -

IGNM post on costs

• Haha 1

Hello FG

Thanks for your help. Im having trouble getting my head around the WS - first person aspect/content etc, is it possible for me to somehow duplicate my amended defence statement or state please see attached amended defence statement, or something similar. Sorry to be a pain. Also, you suggest claiming costs on the draft order, do I put a final cost figure here, or do I have to provide a breakdown of expenses etc. I have to submit everything by 4.00 pm Wednesday.

Thanks Clynite.

Sorry clynite, will try & get back later today re. help with your WS.

Don't worry too much about the wasted costs this week, you can submit when you have won.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the links supersnooper, I'l check them out later.

Thanks also FG, I didn't realise I could claim the wasted costs, after a win! I was worried that I had to get them in now, with the other documentation. That's one worry off my mind now. It's because of the costs request on the Draft order, that has confused me. If I understand correctly, I'l be applying for the cost of the N244 application on the draft order? Hoping you can offer some guidance on the WS if you get the chance.

Regards

Peter, Yes, the costs you put on the Draft order are basically a good estimate.

As regards your WS. Copy your WS into a separate document and expand on it. Put everything in date order from when it happened. Post up your draft later on and we can have a look and tidy it up for you.

Your case is fairly unique and all WS are different in any case, so "templates" are not in abundance.

HTH

BCOBS

1. Re. your defence Clynite, IMO it needs the first para altering to:

'I, xxxx, am a Litigant in Person and make the following defence to reinstatement of this claim by xxxx for the following reasons:'

2. Re. your WS Clynite, I've included notes supplied by pt that you might find helpful & in the following post suggestions for your WS. I don't know all the facts, dates etc. so please amend to suit you.

3. Don't forget to end both your defence & WS with statement of truth or they may not be admitted by the court.

4. Each Exhibit has to be numbered & a seperate sheet of paper attached thus:

Defendant

Number: [1st] [2nd]

Exhibits: [“DEF1”]

Date:

IN THE XXX COUNTY COURT

Claim No:

BETWEEN

[________]

Claimant

and

[________]

Defendant

EXHIBIT “DEF1”

This is the exhibit marked “DEF1” referred to in the witness statement of Clynite dated

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guidance Notes on Witness Statements

The general rule is that any fact which needs to be proved by the evidence of witnesses is to be proved at trial by their oral evidence given in public and, at any other hearing, by their evidence in writing.

CPR r.32 and CPR PD 32 set out the formal requirements for written evidence, including witness statements. These are summarised below.

Format of the witness statement

The top right hand corner of the first page should contain:

·The party on whose behalf the statement is made;

·The initials and surname of the witness;

·The number of the statement in relation to that witness, e.g. 1st, 2nd, etc.

·The identifying initials and number of each exhibit referred to in the statement. For example, if it is the witness’s first statement and it refers to three exhibits, these should be referred to as “ABC1” to “ABC3”. In a subsequent witness statement in the same proceedings, further exhibits would start at “ABC4”;

·The date the statement was made.

The witness statement should be headed with the title of the proceedings.

The witness statement should:

·Be produced on good quality A4 paper with a 3.5cm margin;

·Be fully legible and should normally be typed on one side of the paper only;

·Be bound securely in a manner which would not hamper filing;

·Have consecutively numbered pages;

·Be divided into numbered paragraphs;

·Have all numbers, including dates, expressed in figures; and

·Give the reference to any document or documents mentioned either in the margin or in bold text in the body of the statement, for example [at page14 “ABC1”]

It is usually convenient for a witness statement to follow the chronological sequence of the events or matters dealt with. Each paragraph of a witness statement should as far as possible be confined to a distinct portion of the subject.

Content of the witness statement

·The witness statement must, if practicable, be in the witness’s own words and should be expressed in the first person;

·The first paragraph generally sets out the “who, what and why” of the statement maker:

oWho the witness is – name, residential address (or business address if he is making the statement in a business or professional capacity, together with the position held and the name of his firm or employer)

oWhat the witness’s connection with the proceedings is

oWhy the witness is making the statement;

·Witness statements should deal with facts known to the witness. To demonstrate that this is the case, words such as: “Save where I indicate to the contrary, the matters set out in this witness statement are known to me personally.” Where a fact is not within the direct knowledge of the witness, it can be included but should be preceded by, for example “I am informed by [ ] and believe that ...”.It is important to state the source of any matters or information or belief;

·Witness statements in support of or in opposition to an interim application should contain only facts relevant to that application;

·Witness statements of lay witnesses should not contain legal argument. If it is necessary to refer to the legal position, a phrase such as “I am informed by my solicitor and believe that ...” maybe used;

·Witness statements must contain a statement that the witness believes the facts in it are true;

·Witness statements should be signed and dated.

Please see outline precedent witness statement below.

Exhibits

Documents referred to in a witness statement should be produced to and verified by the witness and remain separate from the witness statement.

Copies of individual letters should be collected together and exhibited in a bundle or bundles. They should be arranged in chronological order with the earliest at the top.

Each exhibit should have a front page attached identifying its exhibit number and details of the statement to which it is exhibited.

The top right hand corner of the exhibit sheet should contain:

·The party on whose behalf the statement is made;

·The initials and surname of the witness;

·The number of the statement in relation to that witness, e.g. 1st, 2nd, etc.

·The identifying initials and number of each exhibit referred to in the statement. For example, if it is the witness’s first statement and it refers to three exhibits, these should be referred to as “ABC1” to “ABC3”. In a subsequent witness statement in the same proceedings, further exhibits would start at “ABC4”;

·The date the statement was made.

The exhibit sheet should be headed with the title of the proceedings. A centre-heading should state the exhibit number.

Thanks for that CB,

Dont know if this is of any value, or if what is needed. But hopefully someone could offer guidance or direction:confused: I could add more from my amended statement if that was necessary. Any ommissions/ additions advice would be most welcome. I have to deliver tomorrow at court.

Thanks in advance

WitnessSt.doc

Edited by Clynite
Incorrect document

Witness statement suggestions. If you think of anything else relevant, add it. Just remember that this is in support of your applic for a strike out, it's not your defence so keep it as far as possible to reasons as to why they have abused the court process & should therefore be struck out.

(with thanks to pt again for judgment refs :))

In the xxxxxxxx County Court

Claim No:

Between

xxxxx

and

xxxxxx

Witness Statement

1. I, Clynite, , am the defendant in this action and make the following witness statement in support of my application to have the claim made by xxxxx for reinstatement of this case struck out as an abuse of court process.

1. The Claimant, xxxx, issued a summons in the xxxx County Court on xxxx to which I replied in defence on xxx. My defence was based on

(a) xxxxx

(b) xxxxx

etc. etc.

If you have a copy of the defence, enclose it marked Exhibit A (see above for correct numbering system)

Then put in here: (see Exhibit A)

2. The Claimant did not respond to that defence within the permitted time frame & was ordered to file and serve a response by/on xxxx if they wished to continue with the claim. The Claimant still failed to comply and the court generously extended to the Claimant a further three months in which to comply. The Claimant was notified of this on xxxx. Again the Claimant failed to comply and the case was ‘struck out’ by order of the court on xxxx & the claimants informed of such. To my knowledge, that order was not appealed within the time limits set by the Court and therefore remains the order of the Court in relation to the issue.

3. The original claim submitted by the Claimant on xxxx was for a sum of xxxx. This included unlawful charges (& whatever else) in the sum of £xxxx.

4. On xxxx the claimant submitted a further claim for £xxx (see Exhibit B) Attach copy of POC for this claim. The sum claimed was for the exact amount of the sum of the original claim but with a deduction now made representing the charges etc. that had been added unlawfully to the sum claimed on xxxx.

5. I aver that this latest claim relies on no new evidence being presented by the Claimant as is exactly the same in substance as the one submitted on xxxxx & struck out on xxxx. Furthermore the claimant agrees with me as stated in their correspondence of xxxx (attached Exhibit C)

6. Since the issues raised in the earlier claim are identical to the issues raised in this later claim, the doctrine of estoppel known as res judicata applies & there is an absolute bar on the later proceedings unless fraud or collusion is alleged (Arnold v National Westminster Bank plc [1991] 2 AC 93). Where an issue decided in a previous claim between the parties is central to a second claim between the same parties, the whole second claim will be struck out (Kennecott Utah Copper Corporation v Minet Ltd [2002] EWHC 1622 (Comm), [2003] PNLR 18)

7. Furthermore, a party to litigation is required to bring forward his whole case at the time of the first claim. I aver that to seek to bring further action against me at this time is an abuse of court process as that described by Sir James Wigram V.-C. in Henderson v Henderson (1843) 3 Hare 100 at 114: "In trying this question I believe I state the rule of the Court correctly when I say that, where a given matter becomes the subject of litigation in, and of adjudication by, a court of competent jurisdiction, the Court requires the parties to that litigation to bring forward their whole case, and will not (except under special circumstances) permit the same parties to open the same subject of litigation in respect of matter which might have been brought forward as part of the subject in contest, but which was not brought forward, only because they have, from negligence, inadvertence, or even accident, omitted part of their case. The plea of res judicata applies, except in special cases, not only to points upon which the Court was actually required by the parties to form an opinion and pronounce a judgment, but to every point which properly belonged to the subject of litigation, and which the parties, exercising reasonable diligence, might have brought forward at the time."

8. In consideration of the above facts I request that permission for reinstating this claim is refused & that it is struck out as an abuse of process under CPR3.4.

9. I aver that the Claimant’s application for reinstatement of claim was brought on frivolous pretext causing undue distress to myself & wasting the Court’s time & resources. In order that a similar action should not be commenced in the future, I ask that if the court agrees to strike out this claim, it also gives consideration to the issue of an Extended Civil Restraint Order against the claimant pursuant to Rule 3.11(3(1)3 PD of the Civil Procedure Rules.

Statement of Truth

I xxxxxxxxxxx, believe the above statement to be true and factual

Signed .....................

Date

• Haha 1

Many many thanks FG, I was beginning to panic, thinking I'm loosing the plot let alone direction. I will use your suggested WS format and edit accordingly. Im away now to do just that. PS should I estimate costs to complete the draft order? Dont know how much to estimate, difficult to put a figure or should I just go for the application fee? I'l be so happy to get closure on this issue.

Thanks for your time and effort it is sincerely appreciated.

PS thanks pt for judgement refs also.

Edited by Clynite
forget to thank pt for support

PS should I estimate costs to complete the draft order? Dont know how much to estimate, difficult to put a figure or should I just go for the application fee?

The directions just ask for the application fee i.e £75.00 is what you will be awarded. Anything else can go into a wasted costs order applic. later. but suggest you don't mention this just yet ;)